Talk me out of JH16? About to pull the trigger...
Oct 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

thapchild

Head-Fier
Perhaps you've seen my other threads, quick recap: Have had UE TF10 for 3-4 years, wanted something with more bass, but the same or better mids/highs.

Tried 5EB, mids/high completely inferior to TF10, realized that I don't want to sacrafice mids/highs for bass.  Thought about getting IE80... then just decided I'll do it once and be done... time to go custom.

UM Merlins were my first choice, upon further reviews I read that although they are a different type of bass, I fear they may be TOO unbalanced for my liking.

But honestly, there were two things that really shifted me from the UM Merlins to the JH16.
  • Reviews said the UM Merlins bleed.  They are vented for the Dynamic Driver, and though it isn't bad, at high volumes people around you can hear it.  I travel... while on the plane I like to rock out... I don't want to be "that guy" who everyone around him can hear his music.  It pisses me off when others do it.
  • If I'm going to do customs, do it once, then be done.  JH16 are the best... go big or go home.  (is this really a valid reason? I think so).

So, I'm posting this here because I'm going to the Audiologist next week for impressions, then sending payment and impressions off to JH.

Does anyone have a reason why I shouldn't buy the JH16 other than "they are over priced" or "I want them you jerk, i hate you" =P

My biggest flaw so far is the lack of a VI cable for my iPhone... the cable JH sells is ugly... the mic is huge... I'm going to try and modify my TF10vi cable and make it work.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 29
I'm thinking if you want triple fi 10 like go with the JH16, the Merlin has great bass, but the treble is laid back and imho not as prominent.  

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 29
The JH16 is several years old now and many find it harsh in the highs, the Heir Audio 8.A is truly excellent and smoother with truly great bass. You should strongly consider it. Look at my review and project86's plus others.

There are several new contenders, look at the Frogbeats C5, 1964 Ears V6 as interesting choices.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 29
I think the JH 10 x3 Pro sounds a little more neutral and just as good.  You can find a pretty good review here:

http://www.headfonia.com/triple-jh-comparison-five-ten-and-sixteen/

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:
I think the JH 10 x3 Pro sounds a little more neutral and just as good.  You can find a pretty good review here:

http://www.headfonia.com/triple-jh-comparison-five-ten-and-sixteen/

Very well written review.  Thank you.  It just made me want them all the more!

Quote:
I want them you jerk...

But not as much as I want the Heir 8.A

The reviews I've read don't seem as favoring as the JH16 reviews.  Perhaps I'm reading the wrong stuff.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 29
There are other alternatives, but it seems like you're pretty dead set on getting the 16 --- just make sure you're getting their updated version with the "FreqPhase|Time Waveguide", which is supposed to align phase and time differences between the drivers for a more coherent response.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 29
There are other alternatives, but it seems like you're pretty dead set on getting the 16 --- just make sure you're getting their updated version with the "FreqPhase|Time Waveguide", which is supposed to align phase and time differences between the drivers for a more coherent response.

I will ask that. Thank you for the tip.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

The reviews I've read don't seem as favoring as the JH16 reviews.  Perhaps I'm reading the wrong stuff.

Yes, you're missing the criticism of the jh16 for being harsh and sibilant.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:
Really?  Not to my ears.  Quite the contrary.  I find they open up the top frequencies with a very pure, crystal clear and reliable (read consistent) sound (using a CLAS Solo > 3A > JH16).

You may not hear them as harsh, but a lot of people have.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:
You may not hear them as harsh, but a lot of people have.

I have the JH16 pros, not one ounce of sibilance to be found when listening to them. The sound has weight without sounding bloated and if you pair them with the pico slim, Twag elite replacement cables and twag micro lod you will be in aural heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back