Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 17, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #3,092 of 4,538
I'm up in the middle of the freaking night listening to stupid weaboo Vocaloid music on these Pro 82 and I can't stop. screw my life. Help.

Hello, does anyone know what is the wire connection setup (RRLL +-) for Takstar gm200? I want to use with balanced cable.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-194#post-15114803
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-193#post-15100137
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-193#post-15100734

It's wired the same way as the Sennheiser HD 598. In the links are some photos of the PCB so you don't have to open up the left cup. Hope that helps.

Although if you do have any extra silver-plated cable, 3.5mm female jacks, and a drill lying around maybe you'd like to rewire the headphone? Hehehe...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-206#post-15299025

I did get to measure both the stock V2 P82...
P82V2RoundZ.PNG

and my "Pixy" P82:
pixy.PNG

So as long as you make sure those jacks are on tight and you drill a clean hole, no sound will leak or be negatively affected. But what I'm about to explain I don't think the graphs can catch...

I did pull out my stock V2 Pro 82 and went ahead and did some A/B tests with my "Pixy" Pro 82. Yes I'm using two different cables between the two Pro 82s but they're made from the same company and made from the same materials and wires as far as I can tell. I had my brother do the A/B tests too and he noticed a subtle difference (though he couldn't explain it). I think I can though: It's like, the sound is less "crowded" and I certainly can pick out sounds and instruments and even background noises just a little better with that silver-plated cable inside. The bass is a little tighter and more textured, treble is a hair clearer and yet doesn't get harsh. The midrange...is intact. No problems there. This level of detail and transparency is damn close to my...Focal Clear? Yeah. I don't understand it myself; I'm just an unemployed programmer biding time by messing around with cheap headphones. I'd be comparing song after song and be like "okay that didn't quite sound like that earlier" and then I'd switch to the stock one and say "now that's how it was".

I love the frequency response, the sound stage is expansive yet never too far (*cough*HD598*cough*), and the rewiring bypasses the build quality's Achilles' Heel - the cable that spans the headband. I even found fabric pads that don't change the sound (a milestone in my journey of pad rolling on EVERY headphone I've used btw). What a journey this has been! With these mods, I feel like I made a "perfect" headphone. It's changed my perspective on the whole audiophile and headphone world - finding that best possible experience is found when you craft it yourself. Can't believe I would find my own little spot of perfection in such cheap headphones. I can now confidently say "I truly need no other headphones"...Well until I crave a new toy anyways but that'll be awhile.

So I'll close this wall of raving text with a thank you to all of you guys here on this board especially you @BenF . Without this forum I probably wouldn't have pushed my curiosities to the limits, much less even give these sub-100 USD headphones the time of day. Here's to hopefully more people discovering you don't have to spend a lot of money for great sound. This is gonna be fun...

UPDATE: Was poking around the forums again and found this topic: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/modifying-headphones.919229/ I wonder if he's read this thread...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #3,093 of 4,538
I'm up in the middle of the freaking night listening to stupid weaboo Vocaloid music on these Pro 82 and I can't stop. screw my life. Help.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-194#post-15114803
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-193#post-15100137
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-193#post-15100734

It's wired the same way as the Sennheiser HD 598. In the links are some photos of the PCB so you don't have to open up the left cup. Hope that helps.

Although if you do have any extra silver-plated cable, 3.5mm female jacks, and a drill lying around maybe you'd like to rewire the headphone? Hehehe...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-206#post-15299025

and my "Pixy" P82:

So as long as you make sure those jacks are on tight and you drill a clean hole, no sound will leak or be negatively affected. But what I'm about to explain I don't think the graphs can catch...

I did pull out my stock V2 Pro 82 and went ahead and did some A/B tests with my "Pixy" Pro 82. Yes I'm using two different cables between the two Pro 82s but they're made from the same company and made from the same materials and wires as far as I can tell. I had my brother do the A/B tests too and he noticed a subtle difference (though he couldn't explain it). I think I can though: It's like, the sound is less "crowded" and I certainly can pick out sounds and instruments and even background noises just a little better with that silver-plated cable inside. The bass is a little tighter and more textured, treble is a hair clearer and yet doesn't get harsh. The midrange...is intact. No problems there. This level of detail and transparency is damn close to my...Focal Clear? Yeah. I don't understand it myself; I'm just an unemployed programmer biding time by messing around with cheap headphones. I'd be comparing song after song and be like "okay that didn't quite sound like that earlier" and then I'd switch to the stock one and say "now that's how it was".

I love the frequency response, the sound stage is expansive yet never too far (*cough*HD598*cough*), and the rewiring bypasses the build quality's Achilles' Heel - the cable that spans the headband. I even found fabric pads that don't change the sound (a milestone in my journey of pad rolling on EVERY headphone I've used btw). What a journey this has been! With these mods, I feel like I made a "perfect" headphone. It's changed my perspective on the whole audiophile and headphone world - finding that best possible experience is found when you craft it yourself. Can't believe I would find my own little spot of perfection in such cheap headphones. I can now confidently say "I truly need no other headphones"...Well until I crave a new toy anyways but that'll be awhile.

So I'll close this wall of raving text with a thank you to all of you guys here on this board especially you @BenF . Without this forum I probably wouldn't have pushed my curiosities to the limits, much less even give these sub-100 USD headphones the time of day. Here's to hopefully more people discovering you don't have to spend a lot of money for great sound. This is gonna be fun...

UPDATE: Was poking around the forums again and found this topic: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/modifying-headphones.919229/ I wonder if he's read this thread...
You are welcome! And thank you for your kind words!

It's not surprising that Pro 82 can compete with Focal Clear. In the past 3 years I auditioned dozens of headphones/earphones between 300$ and 8000$ - Pro 82 easily beat most of them, and hanged with the rest.
In fact, I own the 3800$ Stax 009 (and 5 other electrostats), and I still reach for Pro 82 v2 at least 90% of the time.

And I'm not the only one - a few weeks ago I let a friend of my audition 009 vs Pro 82, and he ended up preferring Pro 82 as well.
Granted, it wasn't a fair fight - I used one of the synergy combos for Pro 82, but still...

Can you please post a detailed comparison of both your Pro 82s (modded and non-modded) vs Neumann NDH20, NAD HP50 and Focal Clear? You did some short comparisons in your review, would love to hear more.

P.S. I think you forgot to apply compensation to your measurements.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #3,094 of 4,538

I bet many of us here on this thread lived this very same experience with Pro 82. I certainly did and still do; they still surprise me from time to time. I have no @BenF ’s vast experience with headphones, but tried many others since I bought these, and 2½ yrs later Pro 82 are still my daily driver.

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #3,095 of 4,538
I'll say it again .
The thread that keeps on giving .

Thnx you all for your contributions and yes pro82 is a real bang for your buck headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #3,096 of 4,538

Also driver is different from GM200 havent seen them on Ali yet..

btw bose killer

https://en.takstar.com/product/type/3241.html
upload_2019-11-18_14-36-40.png

Takstar ML850 looks super intriguing - is it a wireless Pro 82/GM200? I will definitely buy it as soon as it comes out.
One troubling spec - a very low S/N ratio - 82dB, which could limit dynamic range. Although most Bluetooth headphones don't specify S/N at all, so this could be normal.

https://en.takstar.com/product/type/3240.html
upload_2019-11-18_14-49-38.png

FLIT looks to be built on Pro 80 driver - but with much larger cups and pads - could be a very interesting V-shaped monster.

Both could be huge hits for Takstar, if they are tuned by the same engineer who did Pro 82 v1/ Pro 82 v2 / GM200.
Can't wait to see them both for sale.

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #3,097 of 4,538
Both could be huge hits for Takstar, if they are tuned by the same engineer who did Pro 82 v1/ Pro 82 v2 / GM200.
Do you believe it is just one person behind Pro 82's sound? If so, we should try to find him/her and bring him/her to discussion over here! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It could be very interesting to hear from them...

Takstar produces some nice products, but they seem quite opaque to public, tbh. I'm missing some official representative in the forums, like other Chinese brands do.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #3,098 of 4,538
Do you believe it is just one person behind Pro 82's sound? If so, we should try to find him/her and bring him/her to discussion over here! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It could be very interesting to hear from them...

Takstar produces some nice products, but they seem quite opaque to public, tbh. I'm missing some official representative in the forums, like other Chinese brands do.
Of course, there are dozens/hundreds of people involved in making Pro 82/GM200 the great headphones that they are, but you can't "tune by committee" - there must be a single audio engineer responsible for the tuning.
This guy/girl should be as famous as Axel Grell, but we may never know the name of this genius...

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #3,099 of 4,538
Received my Pro 82 v2 yesterday, and while it's clearly got great clarity, I'm picking up some grain on the mid to high treble range, that isn't entirely from my chain and sources.

It's not really sibilant either, it just has a resonance/buzz to it that is unpleasant when it appears. Swapped channels to confirm it wasn't an issue with the right-channel driver and related wiring, and ports to confirm I hadn't damaged my rear audio jack, but it persists. Quick sine wave testing suggests is occurring at the 12k and around 16k peaks, most notably appearing in shrill vocal ranges and electric guitar notes.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about, the higher guitar notes on this track:

I'm certain improving my stack will help with this, but I'm seeking clarification if this is a distinct weakness of the Pro 82, or if I should be opening a dispute on AliE to get a replacement pair?

I am using a Xonar DGX with UNi drivers, and while I experience the issue with my OKCSC ZX1, it's barely audible. I'll be switching to a Khadas Tone Board and a JDS Atom to amp them.

@BenF and @sov73811, seeking your guidance here! :)

Nov 22, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #3,100 of 4,538

and my "Pixy" P82:

It's late reply but I greatly thank you for the guiding. It is really helpful

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #3,101 of 4,538
Hey everyone. Ok, thought I would share my thoughts on the MH751, decided as I am in the UK to pick one of these up instead of a 'Version 2 Pro 82', primarily on the basis they used the new V2 drivers. Had a good listen last night and they aren't up to the V1 (2.2m Cable) standard, noticeably inferior. I was quite disappointing to be honest, yes the Treble has been lowered, but I think far too much and they are very laid back as a result, much less detail in cymbals etc. If this is what the V2 sounds like, I will definitely be sticking to my original White Box Pro82's. Note I have done the Cotton Wool and Foam Insert Mod to my Pro 82's, so for fairness I removed that when comparing last night.

Strange that nobody else picked up on the MH751 sounding off, maybe the plastic cups are soaking up some of the higher frequencies, but my hearing is pretty good, these almost sounded a bit like how I remembered the Sony MH1C sounding, a bit warm, bass a bit wobbly and not tight with a very unimposing treble.

Decided to grab some HE4XX's instead.

Appreciate others will disagree with the treble being too low, I am sensitive, hence my Grado's are only used for short periods.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #3,102 of 4,538
Hey everyone. Ok, thought I would share my thoughts on the MH751, decided as I am in the UK to pick one of these up instead of a 'Version 2 Pro 82', primarily on the basis they used the new V2 drivers. Had a good listen last night and they aren't up to the V1 (2.2m Cable) standard, noticeably inferior. I was quite disappointing to be honest, yes the Treble has been lowered, but I think far too much and they are very laid back as a result, much less detail in cymbals etc. If this is what the V2 sounds like, I will definitely be sticking to my original White Box Pro82's. Note I have done the Cotton Wool and Foam Insert Mod to my Pro 82's, so for fairness I removed that when comparing last night.

Strange that nobody else picked up on the MH751 sounding off, maybe the plastic cups are soaking up some of the higher frequencies, but my hearing is pretty good, these almost sounded a bit like how I remembered the Sony MH1C sounding, a bit warm, bass a bit wobbly and not tight with a very unimposing treble.

Decided to grab some HE4XX's instead.

Appreciate others will disagree with the treble being too low, I am sensitive, hence my Grado's are only used for short periods.
I've only ever read that the MH751 was inferior and dulled? The drivers are the same, but the enclosure is different and is hurt by the lack of a decent vent for the bass.

According to @sov73811, it seems the MH751 was designed for the v1 driver, and Takstar ran out of those. They've posted some interesting response curves for when you swap the drivers between the MH751 and the Pro 82 v1... you get a Pro 82 v2 and a great gaming headphone, supposedly.

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #3,103 of 4,538
Received my Pro 82 v2 yesterday, and while it's clearly got great clarity, I'm picking up some grain on the mid to high treble range, that isn't entirely from my chain and sources.

It's not really sibilant either, it just has a resonance/buzz to it that is unpleasant when it appears. Swapped channels to confirm it wasn't an issue with the right-channel driver and related wiring, and ports to confirm I hadn't damaged my rear audio jack, but it persists. Quick sine wave testing suggests is occurring at the 12k and around 16k peaks, most notably appearing in shrill vocal ranges and electric guitar notes.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about, the higher guitar notes on this track:

I'm certain improving my stack will help with this, but I'm seeking clarification if this is a distinct weakness of the Pro 82, or if I should be opening a dispute on AliE to get a replacement pair?

I am using a Xonar DGX with UNi drivers, and while I experience the issue with my OKCSC ZX1, it's barely audible. I'll be switching to a Khadas Tone Board and a JDS Atom to amp them.

I won't be able to listen to Pro 82 until Sunday, but through the 1000$ AKG3003 the guitars do sound unpleasant - so probably it's not a problem with your headphone.
Pro 82 has electrostat-like transparency, so it may exposes some bad recordings/masterings, which you were enjoying before.
The "shrill vocal ranges" have especially high potential - who likes to hear shrill voices as they are? Probably a darker headphone will do a better job with those.

You may reduce this issue by trying one of the synergy combos, preferably P10+D01 - Comparison of DACs/Amps
Or you can use tuning foams (less ideal) - Tuning Pro 82 with easy mods

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #3,105 of 4,538

Distortion in the recording.
Nothing to worry about with your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back