Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 23, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #3,109 of 4,538
Hey everyone. Ok, thought I would share my thoughts on the MH751, decided as I am in the UK to pick one of these up instead of a 'Version 2 Pro 82', primarily on the basis they used the new V2 drivers. Had a good listen last night and they aren't up to the V1 (2.2m Cable) standard, noticeably inferior. I was quite disappointing to be honest, yes the Treble has been lowered, but I think far too much and they are very laid back as a result, much less detail in cymbals etc. If this is what the V2 sounds like, I will definitely be sticking to my original White Box Pro82's. Note I have done the Cotton Wool and Foam Insert Mod to my Pro 82's, so for fairness I removed that when comparing last night.

Strange that nobody else picked up on the MH751 sounding off, maybe the plastic cups are soaking up some of the higher frequencies, but my hearing is pretty good, these almost sounded a bit like how I remembered the Sony MH1C sounding, a bit warm, bass a bit wobbly and not tight with a very unimposing treble.

Decided to grab some HE4XX's instead.

Appreciate others will disagree with the treble being too low, I am sensitive, hence my Grado's are only used for short periods.
MH751 is nowhere as good sounding as Pro 82:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-164#post-14832495
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-180#post-14985125
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-179#post-14982030

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #3,110 of 4,538
I know I'm a week out from my last post; last week might have actually been the worst week of my life. But we won't talk about that.

Can you please post a detailed comparison of both your Pro 82s (modded and non-modded) vs Neumann NDH20, NAD HP50 and Focal Clear? You did some short comparisons in your review, would love to hear more.

P.S. I think you forgot to apply compensation to your measurements.

According to the screen shots, I did apply 1/12 compensation to it. Can get that adjusted if needed. I'll see if I can round-up the rest of the headphones to do more detailed comparisons hopefully this week. Though I don't have the Neumann NDH20 or the Sendy Aiva currently, I still remember how they sound as they have very, very distinct signatures.

Received my Pro 82 v2 yesterday, and while it's clearly got great clarity, I'm picking up some grain on the mid to high treble range, that isn't entirely from my chain and sources.

It's not really sibilant either, it just has a resonance/buzz to it that is unpleasant when it appears. Swapped channels to confirm it wasn't an issue with the right-channel driver and related wiring, and ports to confirm I hadn't damaged my rear audio jack, but it persists. Quick sine wave testing suggests is occurring at the 12k and around 16k peaks, most notably appearing in shrill vocal ranges and electric guitar notes.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about, the higher guitar notes on this track:

I'm certain improving my stack will help with this, but I'm seeking clarification if this is a distinct weakness of the Pro 82, or if I should be opening a dispute on AliE to get a replacement pair?

I am using a Xonar DGX with UNi drivers, and while I experience the issue with my OKCSC ZX1, it's barely audible. I'll be switching to a Khadas Tone Board and a JDS Atom to amp them.

@BenF and @sov73811, seeking your guidance here! :)

The Pro 82 can definitely be sensitive to distortion in the mix and yeah it does pick up those higher frequencies very easily. Wow you have a Xonar DGX? I remember the DX one and that was pretty good at the time before all this great audio gear from China started appearing. These days you can probably instantly get better sound out of a Sabaj DA2 or DA3, or even the Earstudio ES100 (but I don't think you can go to Hi-Res sample rates on this one). If you have $600 and really want to step up, I heard Topping has a new DAC amp DX7 Pro that's TOP of its class (hehe).

On my Topping DX7s, I actually had a bit of a tough time picking out the distortion but eventually I was able to hear it...a little bit. It might be my ears. Gotta say this, for Red Hot Chili Peppers that's a chill tune. I like it!

It's late reply but I greatly thank you for the guiding. It is really helpful

Glad to help! :D

Hey everyone. Ok, thought I would share my thoughts on the MH751, decided as I am in the UK to pick one of these up instead of a 'Version 2 Pro 82', primarily on the basis they used the new V2 drivers. Had a good listen last night and they aren't up to the V1 (2.2m Cable) standard, noticeably inferior. I was quite disappointing to be honest, yes the Treble has been lowered, but I think far too much and they are very laid back as a result, much less detail in cymbals etc. If this is what the V2 sounds like, I will definitely be sticking to my original White Box Pro82's. Note I have done the Cotton Wool and Foam Insert Mod to my Pro 82's, so for fairness I removed that when comparing last night.

Strange that nobody else picked up on the MH751 sounding off, maybe the plastic cups are soaking up some of the higher frequencies, but my hearing is pretty good, these almost sounded a bit like how I remembered the Sony MH1C sounding, a bit warm, bass a bit wobbly and not tight with a very unimposing treble.

Decided to grab some HE4XX's instead.

Appreciate others will disagree with the treble being too low, I am sensitive, hence my Grado's are only used for short periods.

I've only ever read that the MH751 was inferior and dulled? The drivers are the same, but the enclosure is different and is hurt by the lack of a decent vent for the bass.

According to @sov73811, it seems the MH751 was designed for the v1 driver, and Takstar ran out of those. They've posted some interesting response curves for when you swap the drivers between the MH751 and the Pro 82 v1... you get a Pro 82 v2 and a great gaming headphone, supposedly.

Yeah, the Cooler Master headset features larger cups (with THICCer plastic) and this results in less treble and more bass. It was kinda cool experimenting when I had the drivers unscrewed and I was moving the cups around over my head. The depth of the Pro 82 cups are in that sweet spot - any shallower and you would lose the nice bass and any deeper and you'll get too much bass! Yeah, the V1 driver worked pretty well inside the Cooler Master cups adding back most of the lost treble. Bass is still booms though. Oh, and don't even bother trying to mod the CM headphone because when I said that plastic was thicc, I really do mean THICC. It was a modding nightmare. Here are the criteria for buying the MH751/2 headphones:

- You already have a Pro 82 that's busted
- You're desperate for V2 drivers
- You need them the next day or the next two days
- You have Amazon Prime

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #3,111 of 4,538
These days you can probably instantly get better sound out of a Sabaj DA2 or DA3, or even the Earstudio ES100 (but I don't think you can go to Hi-Res sample rates on this one). If you have $600 and really want to step up, I heard Topping has a new DAC amp DX7 Pro that's TOP of its class (hehe).
Can't go past the value of the Khadas Tone Board and the JDS Atom for what should cost me around $165 total. Outstanding value, with the DAC performance only slightly behind what's in that Topping combo.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #3,112 of 4,538
According to the screen shots, I did apply 1/12 compensation to it. Can get that adjusted if needed.

That's smoothing, not compensation.
Compensation is applied by using the L_HEQ_xxxyyyy.txt and R_HEQ_xxxyyyy.txt files. It adjusts for imperfections in your specific measurement head, and shows how a human would hear these headphones.

I'll see if I can round-up the rest of the headphones to do more detailed comparisons hopefully this week. Though I don't have the Neumann NDH20 or the Sendy Aiva currently, I still remember how they sound as they have very, very distinct signatures.
That would be great!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #3,113 of 4,538
Good evening, everyone.

Somebody who owns both the Sony MDR-7506 and the Takstar Pro 82 can compare both and say which one sounds better? Are they comparable at all?

And about the ATH-40x and the Takstar Pro 82, which one is the overall better option?

I would like a good sounding, close to neutral, studio grade, closed back pair of headphones to listen to music, and preferably not over $100 dollars.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #3,114 of 4,538
Good evening, everyone.

Somebody who owns both the Sony MDR-7506 and the Takstar Pro 82 can compare both and say which one sounds better? Are they comparable at all?

And about the ATH-40x and the Takstar Pro 82, which one is the overall better option?

I would like a good sounding, close to neutral, studio grade, closed back pair of headphones to listen to music, and preferably not over $100 dollars.

Thanks in advance.

Comparison with M40x (by Joshuadapitan)
You can find more comparisons in the second post in this thread:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...s-and-discussion-thread.849965/#post-13490895

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #3,115 of 4,538

Thanks BenF!

The Takstar Pro 82 have more detail retrival and is more 'fun' sounding compared to the ATH-40x then. I don't really care much for the bass switch though, as long as the default position sounds good.

Edit: I will take my time to read the other comparisons, nice list!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #3,116 of 4,538
Has anyone heard the new ML850 bluetooth wireless Takstar?
ML850 and FLIT are currently listed on the Takstar's website as an advertisement. Judging by GM200, it will take 2-3 months until they will be available for sale.

Nov 26, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #3,117 of 4,538
Can't go past the value of the Khadas Tone Board and the JDS Atom for what should cost me around $165 total. Outstanding value, with the DAC performance only slightly behind what's in that Topping combo.

Khadas Tone Board is a great sounding DAC, no argument there - one of the best ones I ever heard.
When coupled with O2 in high gain, the sound is really great.

But for Pro 82 owners the best value right now is the only synergy combo still available for sale: ELE EL-D01 with Little Bear P10:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32846934366.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32882901310.html
It costs 77$ - less than half than Khadas+Atom. And if you are lucky to snatch one of the "10$ off 69$" Ali coupons for Black Friday - it's down to 67$.
If you weren't so lucky, you can use one of the 5$ codes ("visa5" usually works).

It won't extract every last detail from your recordings, but it will provide the sound that goes beyond quantifying as "good" or "great" - it's magical.
P10 is a really great hybrid amp, I even use it with my Stax 009 - really reminds of how it sounded with the Blue Hawaii (a 6000$ amp) when I auditioned it before buying.

For GM200 owners I strongly recommend SMSL IQ - at 95$ on Black Friday (85$-90$ with coupons/codes):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847472836.html
SMSL is clearing the inventory, and soon IQ will be gone forever, just like the Idea.
IQ can't match Khadas as DAC (although it too sounds great, on par with Oppo HA-2), but it has some advantages:
1) It has a built-in amp - you can use it anywhere, while Khadas requires an external amp, making it mostly a desktop solution
2) It has a battery!
3) It has a screen!
4) It has a 3.5mm port instead of RCA - much more suitable for headphones. Khadas needs an RCA to 3.5mm cable, which they sell for 10$
5) It has a 2.5mm port for balanced headphones.
6) Khadas is just a board, you need to spend another 15$ on the case.

Nov 26, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #3,118 of 4,538
Khadas Tone Board is a great sounding DAC, no argument there - one of the best ones I ever heard.

But for Pro 82 owners the best value right now is the only synergy combo still available for sale: ELE EL-D01 with Little Bear P10:
It costs 77$ - less than half than Khadas+Atom. And if you are lucky to snatch one of the "10$ off 69$" Ali coupons for Black Friday - it's down to 67$.
If you weren't so lucky, you can use one of the 5$ codes ("visa5" usually works).

It won't extract every last detail from your recordings, but it will provide the sound that goes beyond quantifying as "good" or "great" - it's magical.
P10 is a really great hybrid amp, I even use it with my Stax 009 - really reminds of how it sounded with the Blue Hawaii (a 6000$ amp) when I auditioned it before buying.

For GM200 owners I strongly recommend SMSL IQ - at 95$ on Black Friday (85$-90$ with coupons/codes):
SMSL is clearing the inventory, and soon IQ will be gone forever, just like the Idea.
IQ can't match Khadas as DAC (although it too sounds great, on par with Oppo HA-2), but it has some advantages:
1) It has a built-in amp - you can use it anywhere, while Khadas requires an external amp, making it mostly a desktop solution
2) It has a battery!
3) It has a screen!
4) It has a 3.5mm port instead of RCA - much more suitable for headphones. Khadas needs an RCA to 3.5mm cable, which they sell for 10$
Agree with all of this, but this is for a desktop setup, and unless I wanted to put the amp in my pocket, is portable enough. The combo I'm getting is intended as a desktop end game setup.

The JDS Atom has way more clean power, and I'm not building my setup purely around the Takstar Pro 82. Thank you for the insight though! :)

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #3,119 of 4,538

2) It has a battery!
3) It has a screen!

How do you use P10 with Stax? Where do you put it in the chain?

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #3,120 of 4,538
Warning - potentially fake GM200 were spotted!

@Mr.Dake has informed me through a private message that he has purchased (from a store that isn't TakstarAudio) GM200, which doesn't have bass ports (just like MH751/2):

upload_2019-12-1_3-23-27.png

The bass ports should be there:
upload_2019-12-1_3-41-44.png

It came in a white box with a Takstar sticker, instead of a retail package:

upload_2019-12-1_3-24-3.png

I don't know yet the name of the store selling these (probably) fake GM200s, hopefully @Mr.Dake will share it with us soon.
TakstarAudio does keep selling the genuine version of GM200 - a colleague of mine has received his 11.11 order couple of days ago, with bass ports and in retail packaging.

So now we have other Aliexpress stores selling defective ("v0.9") Pro 82s, and fake GM200.
Don't be fooled by cheaper Pro82 and GM200 from other stores - so far only TakstarAudio kept selling genuine products that passed quality inspection over a long period of time.
Many other stores have been involved in fake-shipping, selling defective and/or fake products - that's why they can afford lower prices.

If these GM200s aren't fake, they are possible a pre-production version - yet sold as if they are the real deal with no warning.

If you want a genuine GM200, now is a perfect time - on Black Friday (till midnight on Monday) it's down to 59.5$ (in the app), and you can use the 5$ discount code from the review: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-197#post-15148815
That's just 54.5$ - a steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back