Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #2,896 of 4,535
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,897 of 4,535
I have an AK4490 DAC and mostly 16/44 FLAC. Am I safe on the v1? Thanks!

FLAC format means that at least music isn't compressed, but it doesn't say anything about recording/mastering.
The "Loudness War" had too many casualties :jecklinsmile:
Pro 82 v2 is a safer option, unless you listen mostly to classical/jazz - they tend to be mastered better than pop/rock/hip-hop/EDM.

I personally really dislike the "Velvet Sound" series of AK, it diminishes Pro 82's transparency and colors the sound too much.
If you are willing to go with a 2-piece setup, SMSL Idea + O2(1.0x/3.3x, in high gain) sounds magical.
If you want a single Amp/DAC - SMSL IQ will extract the last possible detail in the recording, without sounding harsh.
These recommendations are for both v1 and v2.

The v1 are excellent cans.
:L3000:
I second that.
No argument there, this thread was started on v1. :jecklinsmile:

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #2,898 of 4,535
Hey guys,

I've had a pair of CAL!s for about 6 and a half years and they still seem to be doing ok. I just feel like they might bite the dust soon and I wanted to know a little bit about the Takstar Pro 82 in case I need a new pair of headphones.

1) I see a lot of you talking about DACs, but I don't plan on investing in one. I'll be using my PC sound card (Asus Xonar DS) and my phone (Xiaomi Mi 9T), and I'm wondering if that is okay. Can these devices drive the headphones without any struggle (like the CAL!s) or am I going to be experiencing some problems?

2) I see that there are 2 versions, the second one being more "fun". Is the cable length the only difference that can be seen from the outside?

3) Where would you recommend buying them from? I've found 2 shops on Aliexpress which seem promising:
- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32811589590.html
- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808454492.html

4) Which would you recommend between these and the ATH M40x and the M50x. I can find them both used, but more than 1 year warranty (2 year warranty by default in EU, which means that they were used for like 7-8 months), which seems like a pretty good deal. The approximate prices for which I can find them are:
- M40x -> ~$60
- M50x -> ~$95

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #2,899 of 4,535
Hey guys,

I've had a pair of CAL!s for about 6 and a half years and they still seem to be doing ok. I just feel like they might bite the dust soon and I wanted to know a little bit about the Takstar Pro 82 in case I need a new pair of headphones.

1) I see a lot of you talking about DACs, but I don't plan on investing in one. I'll be using my PC sound card (Asus Xonar DS) and my phone (Xiaomi Mi 9T), and I'm wondering if that is okay. Can these devices drive the headphones without any struggle (like the CAL!s) or am I going to be experiencing some problems?

Thanks!

As the impedance is not so high, maybe could we guess that these cans could be easy to drive...

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #2,900 of 4,535
So, had some time to spare today, so I decided to re-solder the PRO82, to be used with the Earmax Balanced Cable. What I discovered was, that Earmax cable pinout doesn't fit any known pinout configuration known to Google (L+L-R+R-), so I had to improvise (or use the DMM). All my balanced devices share the AK balanced pinout standard, so this is how I soldered the drivers to the jack:

P90809-165126.jpg

That way, it works balanced, and can still be used with its original unbalanced cable.

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #2,902 of 4,535
Pro 82 are very easy to drive, no problem. Any 3.5mm hole can drive them - just don't expect them to sound like TOTL headphones that they are without investing in a good DAC/Amp.
They'll still sound better than CAL! though :jecklinsmile:

2) I see that there are 2 versions, the second one being more "fun". Is the cable length the only difference that can be seen from the outside?
Pro 82 V2 are more forgiving for badly recordered/mastered music, see https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-122#post-14197897
If you are not going to invest in a good DAC/Amp, Pro v2 is a better choice,

3) Where would you recommend buying them from? I've found 2 shops on Aliexpress which seem promising:
- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32811589590.html
- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808454492.html
Definitely this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808454492.html
They never did any fake shipping, and packaging is always top-notch.

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #2,903 of 4,535
Out of curiosity how did you guys take the ear-pads off?
Are they clipped/glued in?

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #2,904 of 4,535
Hold my pads Ben, I got this one:

Out of curiosity how did you guys take the ear-pads off?
Are they clipped/glued in?

Yeah, you can snap off the pads. See where the pleather and the plastic meet on the sides? You can stick a spludger in between to snap off the pads. If you're skilled enough, you can even use your fingers. Do be gentle though; don't want you to wreck the drivers. I would recommend starting at the left or right sides of the cups.

IMG_4623.JPG

The Cooler Master MH751/2 pads have a very slightly larger clips that grab the pads MUCH tighter than the normal Pro 82. Just as a side note.

If you're thinking of pad rolling for less sweaty pads, these are the only pads I've tested that don't get (as) uncomfortable and let you keep 99% stock sound: https://www.amazon.com/Krone-Kalpasmos-Cooling-Gel-Headphones-Compatible/dp/B07JZK792S

If you want that 99% stock sound, be sure that you remove the foam filter and the plastic ring inside the pad as you'll need those back on the headphone cups. You can just slap them on bare, but the sound will leak a bit and isolation decreases a lot.

Oh and if you're a major masochist - yes, you CAN reassemble the Pro 82 the way the old pads work with the Krone pads. This is me doing just that by the way...

IMG_5848.JPG IMG_5850.JPG

Finally, this is what I was here for originally: I got around to opening up my mothballed HD598. Aaaaaand...

IMG_8094.JPG IMG_8097.JPG

If I'm reading the traces right, it's wired the same way as the Pro 82 is. And just for giggles, I played some music through them...and realized I can't ever go back to these no thanks to the Pro 82.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #2,905 of 4,535
Hold my pads Ben, I got this one:...
I would never dare to replace Pro 82's pads - it's blasphemy! :jecklinsmile:

If I'm reading the traces right, it's wired the same way as the Pro 82 is.
I'm starting to think that it may be standard for headphones with 2.5 jacks - to make them compatible with TRS cables.

And just for giggles, I played some music through them...and realized I can't ever go back to these no thanks to the Pro 82.
One of my biggest disappointments was Sennheiser HD600 - I bought it because Tyll described it as less veiled than HD650, more "audiophile".
Still, it couldn't compete with Pro 82's predecessor - Pro 81 (Pro 80 with the original HPAEC840 pads).

Aug 12, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #2,906 of 4,535
Hello everybody! I created an account for this specific thread wishing to find a solution for my issue. Sorry for my English, is not my native language!

I bought a Takstar back in November '18 on AliExpress and I only enjoyed them for like 2 weeks until the left side stopped working. In the beginning, whenever I connected another cable, it worked for a while, but now it doesn't work at all.
Sometimes if I take the cable slowly I can hear sound but nothing once I put the connector inside. I want to use them because they sound very good and they're so lightweight and are the only ones I can use for long periods of time but now they're collecting dust.

I doubt I can complain to the store that sold it to me because they messed up the shipping and it took like 5 months to reach my country and in the end, I had to open a complaint and AE returned the money to me so I have a "free" but useless headphone.

Aug 13, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #2,907 of 4,535
Hello everybody! I created an account for this specific thread wishing to find a solution for my issue. Sorry for my English, is not my native language!

I bought a Takstar back in November '18 on AliExpress and I only enjoyed them for like 2 weeks until the left side stopped working. In the beginning, whenever I connected another cable, it worked for a while, but now it doesn't work at all.
Sometimes if I take the cable slowly I can hear sound but nothing once I put the connector inside. I want to use them because they sound very good and they're so lightweight and are the only ones I can use for long periods of time but now they're collecting dust.

I doubt I can complain to the store that sold it to me because they messed up the shipping and it took like 5 months to reach my country and in the end, I had to open a complaint and AE returned the money to me so I have a "free" but useless headphone.

The situation you describe is probably a result of lack in contact inside the socket. It may be that the contacts are too loose, and don't apply enough pressure against the plug. You can try bending them inward, using a needle, and spray some contact cleaning solvent, just in case. If it doesn't help, than you need to replace the socket.

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #2,908 of 4,535
I just got Dragonfly Black yesterday and I can say it matches really nice with Pro 82... Plenty of power so I'm usually in 5-10% volume region. DF black has muscly sound signature, kick and slam that really goes well with Pro 82 in my opinion and makes them come alive. So I recommend the combo.

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #2,909 of 4,535
The situation you describe is probably a result of lack in contact inside the socket. It may be that the contacts are too loose, and don't apply enough pressure against the plug. You can try bending them inward, using a needle, and spray some contact cleaning solvent, just in case. If it doesn't help, than you need to replace the socket.

Oh god I'm scared. I'll try that, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back