Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 15, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #361 of 4,538
I need a shorter cable for the Takstar Pro 82's. 1meter long for mp3 player usage any tipps? Ordered one cable but that doesn't work.
See this (1.2m cables):
I have tested 2 cables with microphones:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For...phone-Headset-3-5mm-to-2-5mm/32817719620.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upg...ack-Cable-Mic-For-Bose-Quiet/32810246600.html

They sound the same(good), but the grey one makes less noise when touching the 3.5mm plug, and it is compatible with both Android and iOS (red one is Android only).
The iOS/Android switch is on the back of the remote.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #362 of 4,538
My suggestion would be is purchase some Amphenol 3.5mm audio connectors, cut your cable to desired length and solder on and install the new connector. It is a fairly simple process if you know how to solder. I did this to my pair, and many other sets. My recommendation is to only leave about a 3 inch pigtail and solder on the connector, that way you can use any length extension cable you choose.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #363 of 4,538
Oct 15, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #365 of 4,538
Breaking news!!!

As I was going through my stock of materials to use to tune my new TH-900MK2, I came across these foam disks, still in the original packaging:
Thin & Thick Inside Foam Disk Ear Pads For HD545 HD565 HD600 HD650 Headphones
Thin & Thick Inside Foam Disk Ear Pads For K240 K241 K270 K271 K272 Headphons
Update:
These are the foams on Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Thi...-HD565-HD600-HD650-Headphone/32601752052.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...0-HE300-HE400-HE400i/2961104_32824443199.html

I have originally bought the oval ones ("HD650" model) to tune Pro 80, and the round ones ("K272" model) to tune Hifiman HE-400, but never did anything with them.
Until today...

The oval ones seems to be an almost perfect fit, maybe just a bit too long:
upload_2017-10-15_23-21-37.png

Round ones are perfect length, but are too wide:
upload_2017-10-15_23-22-30.png

Both of these listings state 2mm and 4mm width.
The oval ones are actually 3mm and 4mm, while both pairs of the round ones are 2.5mm - but one of them is made from exact same material as the oval ones, while the other one is made of a much more porous material:
upload_2017-10-15_23-24-36.png

The left one is made out of the same material as the ovals (pretty dense), the right one is the more porous one.

I didn't want to take the pads off, so instead of placing the disks between the driver and the pad, I shoved them inside the pads.
upload_2017-10-15_23-47-25.png

First, I tried the "thin" (3mm) oval one.
WOW
:ksc75smile:
Bass - Slightly less controlled, but still tight enough and with a longer decay
Mids - No longer recessed! Vocals sound so much better! Yet it doesn't have the small thin veil that B8 has. Timbre is perfect.
Treble - Slightly less accentuated, but just as clean and as well extended.
Soundstage - Due to a decrease in treble, a bit smaller
Clarity - It no longer has the same estat-like clarity, but still probably is the best closed headphone in that department.
Overall, It's not mid-forward as B8 yet, but it's no longer U-shaped either. "Neutral" and "Balanced" are the best ways to describe it.

Then, I tried the "thin" ("porous") round one - it was easier to shove inside the pads than the oval ones.
Double WOW
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Bass - Somewhere between the "oval" one and the original
Mids - Vocals sound very close to the "oval" one, maybe 1dB less forward. Still perfect timbre.
Treble - Same as the "oval" one
Soundstage - Almost as big as the original
Clarity - Better than with the "oval" one, almost unaffected.
Overall, I like it more than the "oval" one, because it retains the best characteristics of Pro 82 - its clarity and bass, while improving the mids.

I highly recommend anyone with Pro 82 to buy both oval and round ones.
I can't guarantee that you'll get the same combinations of width/materials, but you will have enough tuning possibilities by using different width/material/shape (alone or in combination) to get the signature you want.
Even placement (under/inside pads) or orientation (for the oval ones) can have an effect - have fun tuning!

P.S. If you will place them inside the pads, trimming a few mm will make it easier.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-15_23-24-16.png
    upload_2017-10-15_23-24-16.png
    510.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #366 of 4,538
Take a look at this Tyll Henderson's (Innerfidelity) interview with Dan Clark (Mr. Speakers) -

Dan says that he purposely tunes the headphones to be a bit bright, and then gives customers filters ("doggy treats") to achieve warmer, fuller sound.
This is exactly what you can do with Pro 82, the only difference is - you have to buy your own "doggy treats" separately.

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #368 of 4,538
Breaking news!!!

As I was going through my stock of materials to use to tune my new TH-900MK2, I came across these foam disks, still in the original packaging:
Thin & Thick Inside Foam Disk Ear Pads For HD545 HD565 HD600 HD650 Headphones
Thin & Thick Inside Foam Disk Ear Pads For K240 K241 K270 K271 K272 Headphons

I have originally bought the oval ones ("HD650" model) to tune Pro 80, and the round ones ("K272" model) to tune Hifiman HE-400, but never did anything with them.
Until today...

The oval ones seems to be an almost perfect fit, maybe just a bit too long:

Round ones are perfect length, but are too wide:

Both of these listings state 2mm and 4mm width.
The oval ones are actually 3mm and 4mm, while both pairs of the round ones are 2.5mm - but one of them is made from exact same material as the oval ones, while the other one is made of a much more porous material:

The left one is made out of the same material as the ovals (pretty dense), the right one is the more porous one.

I didn't want to take the pads off, so instead of placing the disks between the driver and the pad, I showed them inside the pads.

First, I tried the "thin" (3mm) oval one.
WOW
:ksc75smile:
Bass - Slightly less controlled, but still tight enough and with a longer decay
Mids - No longer recessed! Vocals sound so much better! Yet it doesn't have the small thin veil that B8 has. Timbre is perfect.
Treble - Slightly less accentuated, but just as clean and as well extended.
Soundstage - Due to a decrease in treble, a bit smaller
Clarity - It no longer has the same estat-like clarity, but still probably is the best closed headphone in that department.
Overall, It's not mid-forward as B8 yet, but it's no longer U-shaped either. "Neutral" and "Balanced" are the best ways to describe it.

Then, I tried the "thin" ("porous") round one - it was easier to shove inside the pads than the oval ones.
Double WOW
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Bass - Somewhere between the "oval" one and the original
Mids - Vocals sound very close to the "oval" one, maybe 1dB less forward. Still perfect timbre.
Treble - Same as the "oval" one
Soundstage - Almost as big as the original
Clarity - Better than with the "oval" one, almost unaffected.
Overall, I like it more than the "oval" one, because it retains the best characteristics of Pro 82 - its clarity and bass, while improving the mids.

I highly recommend anyone with Pro 82 to buy both oval and round ones.
I can't guarantee that you'll get the same combinations of width/materials, but you will have enough tuning possibilities by using different width/material/shape (alone or in combination) to get the signature you want.
Even placement (under/inside pads) or orientation (for the oval ones) can have an effect - have fun tuning!

P.S. If you will place them inside the pads, trimming a few mm will make it easier.
@BenF: If this works as expected —and I do believe you that it does—, then it's excellent news!!

I love the Pro 82 but certainly the recessed vocals and in my opinion the slightly high-pitched mids, are their weakest point. Thanks for trying all these combinations and posting up your results.

I will definitely try the same foam filters on mine and comment on it later.

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #369 of 4,538
Take a look at this Tyll Henderson's (Innerfidelity) interview with Dan Clark (Mr. Speakers) -

Dan says that he purposely tunes the headphones to be a bit bright, and then gives customers filters ("doggy treats") to achieve warmer, fuller sound.
This is exactly what you can do with Pro 82, the only difference is - you have to buy your own "doggy treats" separately.

Exactly! It was precisely thinking about MrSpeakers' usual tuning foam pads why I mentioned this in my initial review of the Pro 82:
It’s subtle and nothing I can’t live with it though, but a more refined response would be awesome. I wonder whether this could be tweaked (softened) by the use of some foam pads inserted into the ear cup (?).
But the truth is that I had no idea on how to proceed (which foam materials to try).

Now we have some very valuable input from @BenF that is worth to try.

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #370 of 4,538
Zeos mentioned Pro 82 in his latest video
Over the past weeks, I have noticed the Pro 82 sitting in that first pile of headphones in @ZeosPantera's videos. The Elear, which were also reviewed recently, were also waiting in that pile for quite a long time. Seems to be the pile of "things to review"?

He did unbox the Pro 82 around June 7. I think we might have a Z review on the Pro 82 coming soon, especially after mentioning them positively in this latest video. I believe it would be very welcome (perhaps Takstar would start its production again...).

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #373 of 4,538
I really wonder if any of the audiolovers here will indulge in capitalistic greed over cans.
I guess it sounded like I was but I wasn't really trying to take advantage of the fact that they're scarce, I'd be fine selling them for a bit less than what I paid. In any case I think I'm going to keep them after all, I got some XPT100's in and I think I prefer the Pro 82's to them

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #374 of 4,538
I guess it sounded like I was but I wasn't really trying to take advantage of the fact that they're scarce, I'd be fine selling them for a bit less than what I paid. In any case I think I'm going to keep them after all, I got some XPT100's in and I think I prefer the Pro 82's to them
Try this mod, and you'll like them even more: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iscussion-thread.849965/page-25#post-13786031
Modded Pro 82 sounds very similar to Fostex TH-900MK2 with TH-600 pads, even after burning TH-900 for 150 hours.
Some things are better on Takstar, some on Fostex, but they are definitely in the same league SQ-wise.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #375 of 4,538
Modded Pro 82 sounds very similar to Fostex TH-900MK2 with TH-600 pads, even after burning TH-900 for 150 hours.
Some things are better on Takstar, some on Fostex, but they are definitely in the same league SQ-wise.
I ordered those foam pads and they have been already shipped. I'm very eager to try them on! (although I know it'll take some good time for the package to arrive...).
Can't compare sound to Fostex, but will post my impressions on this mod next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back