T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Dec 8, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #361 of 1,852
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you meant ML 5909s sound worse wired than they do wireless. But maybe you meant that the ST wired is better than the ML wired?
In passive mode directely connected to the Iphone they sound "worse" but like angelom said, it is more the tonal balance I guess. The ST feel more balanced in passive mode for me and are holding that line very good. Hardware wise both of them are strong players in the BT headphone market and are one of the few BT hp´s which also shine in passive mode.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #362 of 1,852
Have the white. Definitely preferred it over the black when looking at them online. In person, I am super happy I went with the white and have no fears about fading or wearing off. I do take extra care of most of my devices, so your mileage may vary.

Multi-point hasn’t been an issue for me. A few extra steps to connect. But again, I tend not to switch between many devices, so YMMV. Perhaps like the Sennheisers they can add that functionality later? In the end, wasn’t a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate the response - probably gonna pull the trigger on the white version. It is nice to have 3 years of warranty after registering with T+A. So I did reach out to T+A on some of the points discussed in this thread:

"Thank you for your email. The headband of the SOLITAIRE T can be exchanged. Price is not fixed yet. The ear pads can also be replaced. There is a right and a left. The pads cannot be interchanged. The pads are fixed with pins and can be easily exchanged. The LDAC codec is in the licensing phase and will be loadable via the app a little later. Bluetooth multipoint support is not intended for the high-end headphones. This is more the gaming area."

Pretty snarky/sassy response on multi-point connectivity lol.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #363 of 1,852
Appreciate the response - probably gonna pull the trigger on the white version. It is nice to have 3 years of warranty after registering with T+A. So I did reach out to T+A on some of the points discussed in this thread:

"Thank you for your email. The headband of the SOLITAIRE T can be exchanged. Price is not fixed yet. The ear pads can also be replaced. There is a right and a left. The pads cannot be interchanged. The pads are fixed with pins and can be easily exchanged. The LDAC codec is in the licensing phase and will be loadable via the app a little later. Bluetooth multipoint support is not intended for the high-end headphones. This is more the gaming area."

While I can sort of see where they are coming from regarding multi-point, seems a little myopic or narrow minded regarding its utility.

That being said, totally satisfied with the purchase. Do wish it had more volume headroom, but I find it's the same as the H95, a little quieter than the No. 5909.

And personally, my "muscle memory" adapted well to the touch controls so I haven't had any issues after a couple of days *shrug*

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #364 of 1,852
While I can sort of see where they are coming from regarding multi-point, seems a little myopic or narrow minded regarding its utility.

That being said, totally satisfied with the purchase. Do wish it had more volume headroom, but I find it's the same as the H95, a little quieter than the No. 5909.

And personally, my "muscle memory" adapted well to the touch controls so I haven't had any issues after a couple of days *shrug*
It's definitely narrow minded and a tad arrogant considering that high end headphones released recently from major brands have that feature. An argument can be made that at the price point it should be as feature packed as possible. I guess it's a minor omission in the grand scheme of things.

Disappointment with the volume level seems to be a theme with owenrs, hopefully it can be addressed in a future update.

I currently have the Amiron Wireless which a great set of cans with (decent) touch controls, so i can't imagine the T+As are worse on that front. Im mostly upgrading for a new experience and because the headband starts to hurt my head after 30-45 mins of use.

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #365 of 1,852
In passive mode directely connected to the Iphone they sound "worse" but like angelom said, it is more the tonal balance I guess. The ST feel more balanced in passive mode for me and are holding that line very good. Hardware wise both of them are strong players in the BT headphone market and are one of the few BT hp´s which also shine in passive mode.
From what I perceive when connecting both ML and ST to a desktop amp is that the ST is a tiny bit less sensitive. As such, driven passively, it requires a just little more oomph from the source device. The ST takes a little bit more power to 'come alive'..

In that sense, having a balanced cable thrown into the package by T+A is a very welcome addition, as the ST benefits a little bit more from that than from the 3.5mm single ended cable.

Mind you.. I'm talking about marginal differences, not earth shattering ones 😊

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #366 of 1,852
Bluetooth multipoint support is not intended for the high-end headphones. This is more the gaming area."

In that sense I feel that T&A are contradicting themselves a little bit by adding a microphone to this" high-end headphone"package 😂

As I see it, a microphone is mostly beneficial in (home)-working scenarios and gaming...

Multipoint functionality is actually even more useful when you add the (home)-working scenarios. Having a headphone that seamlessly switches between laptop and cellphone is very worthwhile functionality..

And since the microphone does not work while connected via USB cable, I am now asking myself... Why even bother adding a microphone if you intend to position the headphones as high-end option for music lovers.. If however by "high-end headphone" T+A also meant to target the more discerning critical office user annex audiophile, the multipoint functionality would have been even more relevant..

The way it is now, it feels a little bit half-baked with T+A contradicting themselves and with a half-ass implementation as a result 😂😎

Not that I mind, on the contrary... I will happily stick to my Jabra Evolve2 75, my Jabra Speak 750 and my Plantronics Voyager 5200 kit for work purposes.

(Even though admittedly having the ST seamlessly multipoint its way back and forth between my cellphone and my music player while traveling would have been very sweet 😎😇)

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #367 of 1,852
In that sense I feel that T&A are contradicting themselves a little bit by adding a microphone to this" high-end headphone"package 😂

As I see it, a microphone is mostly beneficial in (home)-working scenarios and gaming...

Multipoint functionality is actually even more useful when you add the (home)-working scenarios. Having a headphone that seamlessly switches between laptop and cellphone is very worthwhile functionality..

And since the microphone does not work while connected via USB cable, I am now asking myself... Why even bother adding a microphone if you intend to position the headphones as high-end option for music lovers.. If however by "high-end headphone" T+A also meant to target the more discerning critical office user annex audiophile, the multipoint functionality would have been even more relevant..

The way it is now, it feels a little bit half-baked with T+A contradicting themselves and with a half-ass implementation as a result 😂😎

Not that I mind, on the contrary... I will happily stick to my Jabra Evolve2 75, my Jabra Speak 750 and my Plantronics Voyager 5200 kit for work purposes.

(Even though admittedly having the ST seamlessly multipoint its way back and forth between my cellphone and my music player while traveling would have been very sweet 😎😇)

About the reasons by A+T is giving for not offering multi point connection, I think is a bad excuse and is arrogant in the explanation. I think is more probable that they forgetting adding this functionality or that the implementation for this maybe is affecting other circuitry and they deciding having this compromise and not sacrificing other important aspects in the design of this headphone.

By the way, the microphone is necessary at least for having the possibility of making a telephone call, and not offering this feature (telephone call) I'm sure is making many people not choosing buying this headphone only for this reason because this feature is critical in ANC headphones today.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #368 of 1,852
By the way, the microphone is necessary at least for having the possibility of making a telephone call, and not offering this feature (telephone call) I'm sure is making many people not choosing buying this headphone only for this reason because this feature is critical in ANC headphones today.
Just to be factually correct, the T+A ST do offer the possibility of making telephone calls when paired to a cellphone.

However, alhough the ST can store up to 8 connections (as per Standaard Bluetooth SIG standard) the don't offer multi-point functionality so switching between various devices has to be done manually.

Having said that, while testing this, I ran into the following issue.. The ST do pair and connect fine with my iPhone 11. With my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra however, things stop at pairing. I can successfully pair however often I like, but I cannot make them actually connect... Anybody else having the same issue?

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #369 of 1,852
Just to be factually correct, the T+A ST do offer the possibility of making telephone calls when paired to a cellphone.

However, alhough the ST can store up to 8 connections (as per Standaard Bluetooth SIG standard) the don't offer multi-point functionality so switching between various devices has to be done manually.

Having said that, while testing this, I ran into the following issue.. The ST do pair and connect fine with my iPhone 11. With my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra however, things stop at pairing. I can successfully pair however often I like, but I cannot make them actually connect... Anybody else having the same issue?

I'm sorry if my comment before isn't clear. I'm responding before to your comment of necessity or not of a microphone in the ST after A+T's explanation about not having multi point connection.

YES, the ST is offering the telephone call feature and, in fact, I using this feature several times already and I'm happy how is working. What I want saying before is that in the imaginary case that they don't offering this feature (telephone calls), then many people will definitely thinking "I will not buying this headphone". The microphone is also for the digital assistant, by the way.

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #371 of 1,852
I am still quite happy with the ST. Looking forward to the app and EQ for BT, but the wired mode is what I was hoping for. It definitely scales with the quality of the external source. Tried it the other day on both a Bartok and a Lina and totally forgot about the equipment and was just enjoying the music. I still enjoy the additional magic an open backed design affords and I don't expect those things from any closed back design, but I do appreciate when a closed back performs well enough to not make me think "yeah this is ok but I'd prefer to be listening to an open back instead". I get that with the ST. Throw in the very friendly travel form factor (these I won't hesitate to take anywhere vs something like the Stellia or Liiric that are far more bulky), the option to go fully wireless and the interesting differentiator that is HQ mode and I'm don't regret the purchase or the long wait for them.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #372 of 1,852
I wonder if they will be at canjam in feb?

Also are there any german/euro retailers that ship to the US. 1300 euros is only like 1375 USD so much cheaper to get from them haha

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #373 of 1,852
Also are there any german/euro retailers that ship to the US. 1300 euros is only like 1375 USD so much cheaper to get from them haha
Perhaps you could try https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/ in Amsterdam. Not sure if I understand international tax law well enough, but it should technically be possible to purchase duty free where dutch VAT is replaced by destination country/state VAT plus perhaps some import duties.

(I sometimes do that when purchasing in the uk, where when doing it the right way, you only get local Dutch VAT rather than stacked UK VAT with NL VAT on top)

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #374 of 1,852

In the video I mentioning above is a comment at the top for 10% discount from Audio46 ("Use code CHRIS10 at checkout for 10% off an order from Audio46: https://shorturl.at/ip029"). So, you paying $65 USD more ($1440) and having 3 years of warranty in the USA. If you buying from Europe, the warranty maybe is a problem plus the expensive cost of maybe sending headphone to Europe and back again to USA.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #375 of 1,852

T+A is listed as an exhibitor as is Audio46, who are a T+A dealer in NYC, so I'd be surprised if the ST weren't there. I'm hopeful the P and the HA200 are also there as I'm now even more curious to see what T+A TOTL sound is like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back