T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #376 of 1,912
Dec 9, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #377 of 1,912
Guys, some of you inspired me here to write my FIRST review on Head-fi, which is a case for T+A Solitaire T!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/t-a-solitaire-t.26219/reviews

Also presented here are the first measurements of Solitaire T in the worldwide web! So I hope it'll be worth your time.

Excellent review.

Of all the headphones you mentioning, is strange that apparently you never hearing / testing the Mark Levinson 5909, in my opinion the only ANC headphone that can competing with the ST, but for me the ST is my clear preference.

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #378 of 1,912
Excellent review.

Of all the headphones you mentioning, is strange that apparently you never hearing / testing the Mark Levinson 5909, in my opinion the only ANC headphone that can competing with the ST, but for me the ST is my clear preference.
Yes, unfortunately this one I have not heard. I will remember the name and hope to find it somewhere!

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #379 of 1,912
I ordered an Audiophile Ninja cable balanced 1m20 for portable use on my Shanling DAP. The 3m cable that is included in the box is too long for that use and suffers from some slight microphonics...

Just in case anyone also would want to do that, pleas take note that the T+A wiring is proprietary. They are using the following wiring pattern: From the tip down: L+, R+, R-, L-

(Instead of Tip to R3 = R-, R+, L+, L-) This was confimed by T+A (see screenshot)

I will report back with my findings once I receive the cable and finish testing it 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221209_234458_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209_234458_Email.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #380 of 1,912
I have the Solitaire T sitting in my cart. To order or not to order? That is the question. I currently have the Focal Bathys, B&W PX8, M&D MW75, and AirPods Max, which would it replace? Hmmmmmm.....decisions :thinking: :thinking::thinking:

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #381 of 1,912
I have the Solitaire T sitting in my cart. To order or not to order? That is the question. I currently have the Focal Bathys, B&W PX8, M&D MW75, and AirPods Max, which would it replace? Hmmmmmm.....decisions :thinking: :thinking::thinking:
Hmmm... The agony... I would ditch the PX8 in favor of the T+A.. And perhaps I would also let the MW75 go in favor of the ML 5909 😁🎧🎼

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #382 of 1,912
I ordered an Audiophile Ninja cable balanced 1m20 for portable use on my Shanling DAP. The 3m cable that is included in the box is too long for that use and suffers from some slight microphonics...

Just in case anyone also would want to do that, pleas take note that the T+A wiring is proprietary. They are using the following wiring pattern: From the tip down: L+, R+, R-, L-

(Instead of Tip to R3 = R-, R+, L+, L-) This was confimed by T+A (see screenshot)

I will report back with my findings once I receive the cable and finish testing it 😊
Thank you for being willing to test this out. I wondered if T+A were using something proprietary and I agree that the cable length of the 4.4mm balanced is just too long for comfortable portable use (even when you wrap up part of it) and yes, the sheath's microphonic are not ideal for a lot of moving around. Please let us know what your testing reveals.

I have asked T+A to offer a shorter version equal to the length of the included 3.5mm cable, but my guess is that even if they do decide to offer it, we may not see it for a while so having another option would be very welcomed.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #384 of 1,912
Sooooooo I did a thing 🙃

Placed an order for the T+A Solitaire T in white/silver!

This is the MOST expensive audio-based equipment and and headphone-based purchase I have ever made!

Originally I was saving up for the FiiO M17, which I may still get in the future (all-in-one high-end balanced streamer, DAC, and amp!).

Yet after much reflection, I noticed my changes in audio habits within headphones, especially the last few years.

I still occasionally use my aging Onkyo DP-X1, connected in balanced mode to my 2x NuForce HA-200 monoblock headphone amps, using all silver Double Helix Cables (Prion4 for my main headphones, Focal Elear).

However, this is infrequent, especially with my work (office) and after work evening hobbies (gaming, reading, etc); I reflected that, after three years, my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 1's have been my most used headphones since purchase, and strong usage over the pandemic.

So, I was in the market for the best audio wireless headphones, to replace my old Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 1, as well as acknowledging my change of listening preferences over the recent years (away from dedicated DAP balanced only setups).

When selecting my next upgrade, IEM's such as Noble Audio Falcon Pro and Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3 were on my high priority list, but I yearned to have a high-end closed-back set of cans that can also be used wirelessly, be a true all-in-one.

Watching in the last two years how the wireless headphone scene grew, I saw a range of designs, features, and sonics that interested me.

Previously I was interested in Sony WH-1000XM4, then this year's WH-1000XM5, and also the Sennheiser Momentum 4, amongst a few others.

Yet, my interest was not strictly ANC technology, though very handy, but high sound quality and wireless usage.
As mentioned above, I'm interested in high end cans that can be used wireless and wired.

So over the last two months I increased my budget, and was hyper focused on the recently released Focal Bathys, B&W Px8, and T+A Solitaire T.
I was briefly interested in the Mark Levison 5909, but reviews and user reviews, in direct comparison to the above three headphones, detracted my opinion for it; it did not seem as good of a value sonically relative to its price (in my opinion based on aforementioned reading).

The B&W PX8, unfortunately, came off my shortlist due to user reviews of it's tonality and bass heavy sonics. I adore bass, a lot, and in truth it's sonic characteristics are closer to what I like musically too. However, the Sony W-10 00XM5 can be EQ'ed to give a similar SQ, and I couldn't rationalise the new PX8 at its cost to sonics, despite it having a beautiful build and both great ANC and call features!

Focal Bathys were my nearly purchased cans, as they had features and sonics that I also liked (I have multiple sonic profiles ha ha), as well as an on-board DAC mode. The three main reasons that stopped me from purchasing were: digital circuitry is always on even regardless of mode (wireless, wired, USB to internal headphone DAC), built with a wireless SQ mindset rather than wired SQ (so have a colouration that's great for fun times, but not the last word in SQ within the £600 headphone market), and the existence of the T+A Solitaire T in its own completely different price bracket.

Regarding the Solitaire T's, I love that they were designed as closed back headphones first, but that they have wireless capabilities. Though I am aware of some shortcomings (touch controls, narrow/smaller soundstage, volume cap in wireless or USB mode, app still not released- I've read all the posts on this thread too!), the overall package and what it offers is truly remarkable.

It includes on-board USB DAC mode too, just like the Focal Bathys, but unlike those cans, the Solitaire T can be used as a fantastic high-end headphone in wired mode, with the electronic circuitry switched off. It can further be used with a balanced cable connection, though with single entry on earcup, which is awesome!

In wireless mode, I can use the HQ DAC, which is, as of now, unique in the wireless headphone space without the use of an accessory.

They may not be the ultimate £1000+ closed-back headphones specifically, which to me for my tastes would be Focal Celestee/Radiance or Meze Liric, but the combo of true wired mode and wireless suits my needs. Bonus points for balanced wired option, via T+A pin layout and with single earcup entry. These factors are especially important as I can use these in the office, commute, and with my home balanced rig, and be satisfied in all usage cases!

As far as I am concerned, the benefits for me outweigh it's negatives, and it is unrivalled in many areas too.

That said, it is a shame that multipoint is not a feature T+A are interested in, and would have completed transforming my newly purchased and incoming (😃) Solitaire T as my professional headset at work (when calls occasionally come through), music via USB-C to my Samsung Galaxy as I work (USB Audio Player running Tidal), and truly wireless operation whenever I wish, including commuting! Hopefully, T+A will take a different stance, but I'm unsure if the base hardware can support this.

Further, AptX Adaptive is not supported...though I believe the hardware is capable. This does suck, but as no Bluetooth wireless is truly lossy, this is not the biggest loss*. I still have wired options too, to my phone or old balanced DAP!
Sure, there is a strong chance that the next high-end audiophile wireless cans in this price bracket, from whoever, might include this, but I'll cross that bridge in due course.

Also, though I will be lacking the full experience of wireless without the official app (at time of this post), I'm hoping, when it finally releases, that the licensing between T+A and Sony go through, so I can utilise LDAC*, alongside other customisations to my taste!

Finally, I'm concerned about the volume limit imposed in certain digital modes, but I'm hopeful that this too can be user defeated when the app goes live. If, within my 30 days of use, I'm unable to override this limit (or enjoy the headphones in those digital modes with the volume cap), I can return the cans...

Thus, I selected the T+A Solitaire T, and placed an order earlier today! 😊

When I finally chose the Solitaire T, I was defaulting to order the black/silver version, as it's nice, not too shouty, and black is a usual pick.

Yet...it looked, boring...

The white/silver version, however, looked gorgeous, and after finding the small number of online vids of the two colours (here and here, for example), I thought, well, if I'm spending £1300, might as well go for the one I really like!

If I don't like the colour, I can swap anyway!

So yeah, can't wait to receive mine, test, and decide to keep and enjoy, or return and be on the search once more.

Also can't wait to write about them when they arrive!

Attachments

• 20221210_002144.jpg
    20221210_002144.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #386 of 1,912
I love it when the comparison starts with mistakes on what comes in the box and the material of the ear pads and headband. Seriously, you are supposedly professionals, and you can't even get the material right, or what's in the box right. And in pairing... not mentioning the multi-point difference is a big miss.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #387 of 1,912
I love it when the comparison starts with mistakes on what comes in the box and the material of the ear pads and headband. Seriously, you are supposedly professionals, and you can't even get the material right, or what's in the box right. And in pairing... not mentioning the multi-point difference is a big miss.

And is curious too that in the video of the ST from yesterday one person in the comments section is telling the same reviewer that the ear pads and the headband aren't real leather and in his reply to this comment the reviewer is only concentrating about the (high) price in USA. The comparison of the 2 headphones is publishing one day later than the video review and he's making the same mistake or is lazy and not editing the article before publishing.

He's concentrating principally in sound quality, and this is very good, obviously. But for example he's also talking about the materials of the headphones and the design, but he isn't mentioning the unique very high quality of the cables in the 5909 and the travel case, and isn't mentioning the extra 3 metres 3.5mm cable and the airline adapter.

And a BIG mistake he's making in this comparison article is saying that battery life is 34 hours in 5909 when in passive mode, when in fact you can using the 5909, exactly like the ST, in full passive mode (without needing switching on the headphone) with only a cable (like normal wired headphone) so battery life here is irrelevant because isn't necessary for this mode. This is a unique feature of this 2 headphones, specially because in passive mode both headphones are offering very good / excellent sound, not like others that when in passive mode the sound is terrible because no DSP is acting like in wireless mode (Sony, Bose, etc.)

Other popular reviewer, Resolve, who is often including FR graphs in his reviews, and is favouring the Bathys very much too, is making similar important omissions of the 5909 (like not mentioning real passive mode feature) and making the Bathys looking better than is in reality, and is, curiously, emphasising one negative aspect (that curiously nobody mentioning before in 8 months) of 5909 for, one more time, favouring his very high opinion of Bathys.

I think still that today the 2 clear best wireless headphones are the ST and the 5909.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #388 of 1,912

Haha that's certainly strange. Looking at the measurements I am inching closer and closer to at least trying the solitaire. Esp a punchier, can feel it more, bass.

What a time to be alive!

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #389 of 1,912
Haha that's certainly strange. Looking at the measurements I am inching closer and closer to at least trying the solitaire. Esp a punchier, can feel it more, bass.

What a time to be alive!
I'll be trying these once available at US store with good returns!

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #390 of 1,912

Sooooooo I did a thing 🙃

Placed an order for the T+A Solitaire T in white/silver!

This is the MOST expensive audio-based equipment and and headphone-based purchase I have ever made!

Originally I was saving up for the FiiO M17, which I may still get in the future (all-in-one high-end balanced streamer, DAC, and amp!).

Yet after much reflection, I noticed my changes in audio habits within headphones, especially the last few years.

I still occasionally use my aging Onkyo DP-X1, connected in balanced mode to my 2x NuForce HA-200 monoblock headphone amps, using all silver Double Helix Cables (Prion4 for my main headphones, Focal Elear).

However, this is infrequent, especially with my work (office) and after work evening hobbies (gaming, reading, etc); I reflected that, after three years, my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 1's have been my most used headphones since purchase, and strong usage over the pandemic.

So, I was in the market for the best audio wireless headphones, to replace my old Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 1, as well as acknowledging my change of listening preferences over the recent years (away from dedicated DAP balanced only setups).

When selecting my next upgrade, IEM's such as Noble Audio Falcon Pro and Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3 were on my high priority list, but I yearned to have a high-end closed-back set of cans that can also be used wirelessly, be a true all-in-one.

Watching in the last two years how the wireless headphone scene grew, I saw a range of designs, features, and sonics that interested me.

Previously I was interested in Sony WH-1000XM4, then this year's WH-1000XM5, and also the Sennheiser Momentum 4, amongst a few others.

Yet, my interest was not strictly ANC technology, though very handy, but high sound quality and wireless usage.
As mentioned above, I'm interested in high end cans that can be used wireless and wired.

So over the last two months I increased my budget, and was hyper focused on the recently released Focal Bathys, B&W Px8, and T+A Solitaire T.
I was briefly interested in the Mark Levison 5909, but reviews and user reviews, in direct comparison to the above three headphones, detracted my opinion for it; it did not seem as good of a value sonically relative to its price (in my opinion based on aforementioned reading).

The B&W PX8, unfortunately, came off my shortlist due to user reviews of it's tonality and bass heavy sonics. I adore bass, a lot, and in truth it's sonic characteristics are closer to what I like musically too. However, the Sony W-10 00XM5 can be EQ'ed to give a similar SQ, and I couldn't rationalise the new PX8 at its cost to sonics, despite it having a beautiful build and both great ANC and call features!

Focal Bathys were my nearly purchased cans, as they had features and sonics that I also liked (I have multiple sonic profiles ha ha), as well as an on-board DAC mode. The three main reasons that stopped me from purchasing were: digital circuitry is always on even regardless of mode (wireless, wired, USB to internal headphone DAC), built with a wireless SQ mindset rather than wired SQ (so have a colouration that's great for fun times, but not the last word in SQ within the £600 headphone market), and the existence of the T+A Solitaire T in its own completely different price bracket.

Regarding the Solitaire T's, I love that they were designed as closed back headphones first, but that they have wireless capabilities. Though I am aware of some shortcomings (touch controls, narrow/smaller soundstage, volume cap in wireless or USB mode, app still not released- I've read all the posts on this thread too!), the overall package and what it offers is truly remarkable.

It includes on-board USB DAC mode too, just like the Focal Bathys, but unlike those cans, the Solitaire T can be used as a fantastic high-end headphone in wired mode, with the electronic circuitry switched off. It can further be used with a balanced cable connection, though with single entry on earcup, which is awesome!

In wireless mode, I can use the HQ DAC, which is, as of now, unique in the wireless headphone space without the use of an accessory.

They may not be the ultimate £1000+ closed-back headphones specifically, which to me for my tastes would be Focal Celestee/Radiance or Meze Liric, but the combo of true wired mode and wireless suits my needs. Bonus points for balanced wired option, via T+A pin layout and with single earcup entry. These factors are especially important as I can use these in the office, commute, and with my home balanced rig, and be satisfied in all usage cases!

As far as I am concerned, the benefits for me outweigh it's negatives, and it is unrivalled in many areas too.

That said, it is a shame that multipoint is not a feature T+A are interested in, and would have completed transforming my newly purchased and incoming (😃) Solitaire T as my professional headset at work (when calls occasionally come through), music via USB-C to my Samsung Galaxy as I work (USB Audio Player running Tidal), and truly wireless operation whenever I wish, including commuting! Hopefully, T+A will take a different stance, but I'm unsure if the base hardware can support this.

Further, AptX Adaptive is not supported...though I believe the hardware is capable. This does suck, but as no Bluetooth wireless is truly lossy, this is not the biggest loss*. I still have wired options too, to my phone or old balanced DAP!
Sure, there is a strong chance that the next high-end audiophile wireless cans in this price bracket, from whoever, might include this, but I'll cross that bridge in due course.

Also, though I will be lacking the full experience of wireless without the official app (at time of this post), I'm hoping, when it finally releases, that the licensing between T+A and Sony go through, so I can utilise LDAC*, alongside other customisations to my taste!

Finally, I'm concerned about the volume limit imposed in certain digital modes, but I'm hopeful that this too can be user defeated when the app goes live. If, within my 30 days of use, I'm unable to override this limit (or enjoy the headphones in those digital modes with the volume cap), I can return the cans...

Thus, I selected the T+A Solitaire T, and placed an order earlier today! 😊

When I finally chose the Solitaire T, I was defaulting to order the black/silver version, as it's nice, not too shouty, and black is a usual pick.

Yet...it looked, boring...

The white/silver version, however, looked gorgeous, and after finding the small number of online vids of the two colours (here and here, for example), I thought, well, if I'm spending £1300, might as well go for the one I really like!

If I don't like the colour, I can swap anyway!

So yeah, can't wait to receive mine, test, and decide to keep and enjoy, or return and be on the search once more.

Also can't wait to write about them when they arrive!

I totally agree with you. Balanced cable is not optimal and is too long. I have measured the wiring of the 2,5mm jack with the 4,4 jack and found the following wiring of 2,5mm/4,4mm: (Tip/Tip; R1/R2; R2/R1; S/R3; -/S). So Ring2 and Ring1 are reversed at both ends of the cable.

I didn't understand from T+A's reply which end of the wiring they were describing??? In any case, the cable seems uncharacteristically connected at both ends...

I was looking for where I could buy an adequate symmetrical 2.5 jack to make the cable. I haven't found anything... does anyone have any tips please? All the 2,5 mm cables/connnectors I have found have a wide copper interconnected beginning and it seems that it would be conductively connected to the headphone body when plugged into the headphones, the original cable has this part plastic...

I would be glad for tips on what to do practically with this.

Otherwise the headphones are great. The only criticism I have of them is regarding the less than optimal comfort (and I have neither big head nor ears). Simply, the earcups are sized on the edge and the bridge is not among the widest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back