T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Dec 7, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #331 of 1,912
Lots of folks commenting on the relative value of the ST. I'd like to offer my thinking. If we look at value or demand at certain price levels you will observe the following. First value is an individual measure and not comparable to other folks measure of value. It's that simple. When measureing demand in the aggregate which is a reflection of individual values and willingness to pay one finds the following. There are consumers who value it highly and are willing and able to pay more than those who don't. Some are even willing and able to even pay more but can purchase at the market equilibrium for less (consumer surplus). Price, value and cost are all different terms. For companies to provide us with these (ST) wonderful products they must cover their costs and earn a profit to stay alive. If they provide products that lots of folks value and are they are willing to pay all is well. If the perceived value is not there people won't buy and the company fails. In the end some folks will find the ST's "too expensive" while others will find them a "real bargain". The best way I've seen this issue described in audio was by Anthony Cordesman when he said the following in a review of the Wilson Alexia speaker " I can see how difficult they are to manufacture and how much sheer work goes into providing the capability to make such precise time alignments. But I do hope Wilson Audio will find some way to make most of their performance available at a lower price. These are great speakers and a musical adventure I wish that everyone could share." I agree and would wish the same for T+A.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #332 of 1,912
I can see where Ed Selley is coming from when comparing the ML and the ST .. One thing however should be taken into account. The ST currently operates at APTX-HD 576kbps level. The ML supports LDAC at 990kbps. I am really curious to see what happens to his evaluation when both headphones are brought to compete at the same Codec level :wink:

In the video he's saying that as BT headphone the 5909 "having the edge", but I don't sure that he's saying this because the 5909, in his opinion, is have better ANC and very good sound quality, or if he is saying that sound quality is better too in BT mode. In the article isn't clear either, for me, and in fact I think he's saying that in BT mode the sound of ST is better.

I know that as complete package, meaning both BT and passive mode sound quality, he's saying the ST is better, and better than anything he's hearing before.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #333 of 1,912
Is now 3 weeks with the ST and I think that the people reading this thread knowing very well that I think the sound of the ST is the best of any BT headphone in my experience.

BUT I must being completely honest and saying again that, after 3 weeks, the playback features (play/pause, volume up/down and next/previous track) are still (very) frustrating, but because I like the sound so much I still accepting this compromise.

BUT, I really hoping the A+T are reading this thread and making important changes with firmware update.

My frustrations:

1. The very more important aspect for me personally is changing the volume. Isn't always responding correctly. I needing often swiping more than one time for action happening, and often the volume jumping more than one volume step up or down, and this is making sometimes big difference between very loud and very quiet (BUT isn't so very terrible like the Focal Bathys in this aspect). For a person like me, changing volume constantly, this is very frustrating and, honestly, very annoying, specially when I paying 1300€ for this headphone. Even very, very cheap BT headphones are better in this aspect!

2. Sometimes lowering the volume still acting like I wanting going to previous track or beginning of the track. After 3 weeks, with so much experience from me with so many headphones, seriously this is unacceptable.

3. Changing tracks is similarly frustrating, meaning that sometimes swiping is responding, sometimes not.

4. Play/pause is the same, sometimes responding first time, sometimes (more than is acceptable) is not!

I don't regretting keeping the ST because I accepting this compromises, but I'm hoping is becoming better with more use. The truth is that really isn't better. I still want keeping this headphone with great sound and excellent comfort, BUT really A+T must doing something about this problems.

I see that recently, even in new outside reviews and recent comments here in head-fi from new owners, people are not speaking about the user experience, and I understand in a way, because majority of people are focusing in the sound. BUT, I must insisting, that for a BT headphone costing 1300€ ($1600 in USA!) this user experience really is completely unacceptable.

I want updating my comments about my frustrations with touch interface. After discovering yesterday that if I changing the position of the earcups a little for making more straight in relation to my head, things are better, still not perfect, but definitely very less frustrating. I explain now using the same 1-4 points from my previous post.

1. Now the volume is responding many more times than not, and I don't usually need swiping more times than is necessary for action happening. The majority of the time is fine now. Volume jumping more than one step is still happening but I have better control of this not jumping so much ALL the time. Still not perfect but clearly better than before.

2. Now the volume is responding very more often correctly when I only want changing volume (before this, the volume is sometimes responding, sometimes not, and sometimes changing tracks and not the volume!). Now at least I don't have problem of changing tracks when I want only changing volume.

3. Changing tracks action is more reliable now and don't need doing this action again in high percentage of times.

4. Play/pause is similarly frustrating than before, sometimes still very frustrating, actually. Sometimes touching is sufficient, sometimes tapping is necessary. Isn't consistent what type of action is necessary, or what kind of touch (how long) is necessary. Sometimes I still needing touching or tapping 3-4 or 5 times for action happening!

I'm really hoping a firmware update improving, if only a little, some of this problems became ST is great headphone in other critical aspects.

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #334 of 1,912
I've read through from the start of the thread, really appreciate all the insights. I'm close to purchasing the headphones in white, but I was wondering if anyone else in the same situation or if anyone has bought a pair in white. I'm wondering if the material will fade or wearoff from daily use, and if it's probably smarter to go for black (the white has really caught my eye).

Also, for the owners right now, is the lack of multi-point connection bothersome or an issue? I would be using them while working for virtual meetings and listening to music off my phone.

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #335 of 1,912
I just found the perfect little compact travel companion for both my T+A Solitaire T and my Mark Levinson ML 5909 ..

The Shanling M3X... Has both APTX-HD and LDAC codecs, Wi-Fi, full Android OS for UAPP, Qobuz, Tidal etc.. And a 4.3mm balanced output...

And it is so compact that I actually don't mind carrying this around during my travels, something that cannot be said about my Cayin N8ii 😂

20221208_131247.jpg

Attachments

• 20221208_131431.jpg
    20221208_131431.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #336 of 1,912
For this price, the T+A Solitaire T better be much better sounding than the "usual suspects" in this category at much lower price (B&W px8, or Focal Bathys).

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #337 of 1,912
For this price, the T+A Solitaire T better be much better sounding than the "usual suspects" in this category at much lower price (B&W px8, or Focal Bathys).

Don't worry .. it does .. The Bathys didn't last long, the ML still is around for the sake of comparison, but by know I am 99% for the T+A

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #338 of 1,912

Don't worry, probably for you the px8 and/or Bathys is better. The Solitaire T is a product only for mega fans of German products (made in China) who are happy and desperate for paying ridiculous high prices.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #339 of 1,912
Don't worry, probably for you the px8 and/or Bathys is better.
How can you possibly know this? When even I don't know. Also, I think the Solitaire T is made in Germany, not in China

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #340 of 1,912
...Also, I think the Solitaire T is made in Germany, not in China

No, is made in China not in Germany, so the high price is possibly even more ridiculous.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 15.13.04.png

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #341 of 1,912
No, is made in China not in Germany
Strange. My T+A PA 3100 HV (not for headphones) is definitely made in Germany. And as I recall, the Solitaire P is made in Germany too.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #342 of 1,912
Strange. My T+A PA 3100 HV (not for headphones) is definitely made in Germany

The Solitaire T (I'm almost 100% sure) is the only T+A product that isn't made in Germany. Is very possible that if the ST is made in Germany, then is very more expensive.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #343 of 1,912
The Solitaire T (I'm almost 100% sure) is the only T+A product that isn't made in Germany. Is very possible that if the ST is made in Germany, then is very more expensive.
Actually, I believe the T+A Caruso all-in-one music system is also made in China. But AFAIK, these two products are the only ones made there. Everything else is made on-site in Hereford, Germany.

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #344 of 1,912
I've read through from the start of the thread, really appreciate all the insights. I'm close to purchasing the headphones in white, but I was wondering if anyone else in the same situation or if anyone has bought a pair in white. I'm wondering if the material will fade or wearoff from daily use, and if it's probably smarter to go for black (the white has really caught my eye).

Also, for the owners right now, is the lack of multi-point connection bothersome or an issue? I would be using them while working for virtual meetings and listening to music off my phone.
Have the white. Definitely preferred it over the black when looking at them online. In person, I am super happy I went with the white and have no fears about fading or wearing off. I do take extra care of most of my devices, so your mileage may vary.

Multi-point hasn’t been an issue for me. A few extra steps to connect. But again, I tend not to switch between many devices, so YMMV. Perhaps like the Sennheisers they can add that functionality later? In the end, wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #345 of 1,912
The snare drum is an instrument that I have problems often with many headphones in the way of the reproduction of this instrument. The snare drum, like all instruments, can having different variations for the sound that is coming out in a recording (the type of snare drum, the tuning of this instrument, the type of playing by the drummer, and the type of recording including the placement of mics for recording the sound). But, for me, from so many instruments, the snare drum is often very problematic for obtaining full enjoyment of its reproduction.

So, in consideration of my comment above, the ST is giving me the best and more realistic sound of snare drums after I listening to many recordings already that having this instrument. The correct 'weight' (best word I can using) in the sound of this instrument is so difficult reproducing correctly. Excellent job by A+T.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back