Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jan 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #1,936 of 2,336
fwiw. It's more complicated than 'limba is magical'. It can be but the driver has to jive with it. (or another wood/finish) I dialed it in to my particular V4 magnum and my ears.

I have not used a grado driver in any of my research fwiw

Happy listening is about getting the two halves to jive  cup/driver matching is key. I would like to be part of the discussion and development so people who are on limited budgets can find an easy and musical solution for their driver houses without having to try several cups and/or waste money not knowing if it will sound musical.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #1,937 of 2,336
First, I want to thank you (thelostMidrange) for your contributions.  I'm definately fascinated by your findings.  It never would have occured to me that the finish on the wood would contribute so much to the sound, and I definately look forward to further insights. 

I was also wondering if you have compared your  two pairs of  v4 drivers any more.  I remember you were wondering if there were differences in the drivers (v4.1?) or if it was just not being burned in enough.

Thanks

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,945 of 2,336
*Edit: v Pointless excitement v

Boy that's some good looking anodization! I was scared that the thing would turn out to a more charcoalish kind of tone, or a paler black. But no: it's a deep, matte black, and it looks every better than the the gimbals of (say) a RS1! And overall a lot better too! Can't wait to send in my SR325i.

The blacker driver area matches also pretty well the metal parts and looks badass as a whole, and looks a bit more coherent even though the chrome doesn't help. But it's very much like I wanted it to look and in better! yayaya... sorry that was really just pointless excitement.

^ end of Pointless excitement ^
Quote:
That's a small weiner

Good reply... to a set of AMAZING modified Grados! But it doesn't look and sound like Grado anymore!

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,946 of 2,336

Quote:

Good reply... to a set of AMAZING modified Grados! But it doesn't look and sound like Grado anymore!

more like a grado senn crossover really.. much less veiled than the senns though, and faster.. and less crazy harsh like a grado.. It's really the perfect sound in my opinion. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #1,947 of 2,336
I let my roommate listen to my woodied Magnums yesterday. He says they have no bass and that he likes the bass on his skullcrushers better.... I have too much pride in my Magnums to take offense from that, but I really really wanted to cut him down with some mean joke about his headphones.

It's all okay though because I don't mind being in my own little world with these beauties 

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,950 of 2,336
Speaking of bass, I need an amp that will make the magnums shine, I know I will get the O2 amp, any other portable amps I can get that will pair well with the magnum v4s?

Bear in mind that I am going to run it from ipods and I have the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo as one combo and my other combo are 2 of the sansa clip+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back