Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Dec 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #1,876 of 2,336
finally i listened the 4.0 drivers(grey version).
i am a great admirer of my magnum 3.5.
a good person from italy, matteo(perfidoclone on head-fi) bought the magnum 4.0 after my thread in an italian forum.
he likes the magnum and he says to me that the 4.0 has differnet screw, gymbals and package compared to the 3.5.
i don´t care this differences, the important is the new driver.
the 4.0 is not a revolution compared to the 3.5 version but i think that is an important refinement
now the magnum is the headphone with a linear frequency response.
i love all of this headphone: low, mids and high frequencies.
the mid in the 3.5 is a little better but the 4.0 has more balance.
rhydon says that the 4.0 is the last version and i think that better is complicated.
next possible step is a new headphone from rhydon.
this man is very good: why not a new headphone in the market?
i know one thing: the magnum is not expensive and the sound is fantastic.
ultrasone edition 10: 2000 dollars; grado ps-1000: 1600 dollars; used grado hp-1000: 1500 dollars; stax sr-009: 5000 dollars
magnum??? around 500-600 dollars.
 i have a big doubt: tubes or solid state with magnum?
rhydon is the successor of the old joe.
god save the new king
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #1,878 of 2,336
Long time lurker here (circa 09).  I decided to break down and create an account, as I will soon be setting up an actual "listening station" and may need assistance choosing a DAC/ new or vintage amp-age & TT.

I finally sent in my 325 chromes to get the full V4 treatment; am stuck sending my flacs through music streamer II-ed ATH-M50s at the moment, and must say: this thread does nothing to calm my overwhelming excitement lol.  I'm also glad for once that my 325is are of the chrome variety with the new option to black anodize all of the magnum parts; although to think what that would look like on an anniversary goldie...o.O

Thank you to everyone for posting beautiful pictures!  They truly are a work of art, and posts like these make it very easy to be a lazy lurker/waste away hours of the day reading.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,880 of 2,336
You can rest assured that I'll post an obscene amount of pictures (or 2-3) once I have them in-hand.  Through a combination of my daft reasoning skills and wicked-precise replies from Rhydon I deduced that the gimble, driver housing, and M. emblem would all be anodized; while the Grado cups would remain whichever finish they were...which instantly made me want to purchase a used pair of 325i goldies.  My wallet talked me into waiting to see what they look like with the chrome caps.  Hopefully I fall in love with them/forget about the goldie idea, as then funds can be appropriately funneled into a vintage receiver, nice DAC, and TT.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,882 of 2,336
Oh man...I hope I didn't "let the cat out of the bag" so-to-speak lol.  Rhydon answered an email of mine and said he was going to start offering the option to anodize the magnum parts in black/asked if i preferred black or the aluminum color. 

*I really hope he's prepared for the influx of emails/requests this may have inadvertently caused. -- sorry in advance, "I didn't know" lol

But regardless you all have to agree that the 325i goldies would look 3-shades of wicked-awesome with black anodized gimbles/driver Assemblies :)

Dec 25, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #1,883 of 2,336
Better still, have a pair of black 325 to start off with. 
wink.gif

Hopefully I will get mine back from Rhydon soon. They will be all black with the V4 drivers.

Dec 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #1,885 of 2,336
i have the chromed cups with grey parts.
the anodize black parts must be beautiful

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #1,886 of 2,336

Quote:
You can rest assured that I'll post an obscene amount of pictures (or 2-3) once I have them in-hand.  Through a combination of my daft reasoning skills and wicked-precise replies from Rhydon I deduced that the gimble, driver housing, and M. emblem would all be anodized; while the Grado cups would remain whichever finish they were...which instantly made me want to purchase a used pair of 325i goldies.  My wallet talked me into waiting to see what they look like with the chrome caps.  Hopefully I fall in love with them/forget about the goldie idea, as then funds can be appropriately funneled into a vintage receiver, nice DAC, and TT.

can't wait to see them... and you might just be able to find someone with some goldie cups willing to trade you. 

Quote:
you guys know we humans look ridiculous wearing ANY set of headphones don't you?  why you call attention to it with gold bling is hard to comprehend ?

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #1,888 of 2,336

Quote:

can't wait to see them... and you might just be able to find someone with some goldie cups willing to trade you. 

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man. 

The dude abides.
Quote:
The anodized parts have already been discussed in this thread so there was no cat out of the bag.

I thought I remembered reading about people wanting crazy pink drivers, but wasn't sure if it was officially announched; I can rest easy meow.
Quote:
you guys know we humans look ridiculous wearing ANY set of headphones don't you?  why you call attention to it with gold bling is hard to comprehend ?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/514995/pictures-of-headphones-worn/90

A picture is worth 1K words, as they say.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #1,890 of 2,336

i think the same.
the 4.0 is sweet
i´m sorry but which is your amplifier?
Quote:
Loving the v4 drivers. 
It's funny, I never thought the 3.5's were bright before I got the v4's. With the DHC cable the difference is especially noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back