Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Mar 30, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,201 of 2,336
The Magnum also has an incredible openness to it, whereas the LCD2 - although IMO a better headphone - feels more closed.

Imaging is superb.

I'm really enjoying it with symphonic and other acoustic music. Just can't abide kick-drum and bass guitar yet.

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #1,203 of 2,336
Thanks for the inputs, guys. Is the typical Grado "flatness" still there? As much as I love the HF2, one thing that became clear to me once I put the LCD2 is how it can render a sense of depth in instrument positioning that was missing in the HF2 before.

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,207 of 2,336
I think left side driver of my SR325 is blown. Do you guys know if this modification can be done on very first model of SR325 (not i or is)? I am thinking about either getting this mod done or finding a pair of SR325 drivers. I don't think these drivers are easy to find though. Anyone selling their drivers? 

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,208 of 2,336

Quote:
I think left side driver of my SR325 is blown. Do you guys know if this modification can be done on very first model of SR325 (not i or is)? I am thinking about either getting this mod done or finding a pair of SR325 drivers. I don't think these drivers are easy to find though. Anyone selling their drivers? 

I was told that any generation of SR325 would do. The mod involves changing the drivers anyways so you should be okay.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,209 of 2,336
I could send you my drivers, as I have no use for them.  As for the mod, it is tonally quite different to the 325s, maybe somewhere between your orthos. Do you want them to be much more detailed than they are now?

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #1,210 of 2,336

Quote:
I could send you my drivers, as I have no use for them.  As for the mod, it is tonally quite different to the 325s, maybe somewhere between your orthos. Do you want them to be much more detailed than they are now?

I was quite satisfied with original SR325 sound. I liked SR325i goldies but they had somewhat forward high compared to SR325 that I had. Anyway, I sent you PM regarding the drivers!

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #1,211 of 2,336
My opinion on the Magnum, now that I've had it for a while now, is that it is a perfected SR325i. Much, much more refined and balanced throughout the spectrum. Basically took the best qualities of the SR325i and improved upon it in every way possible. Was just listening to Slightly Stoopid's Live & Direct Acoustic Roots through my Taboo and it was just heavenly. Each stroke and pluck was so palpable, the background dark, distance and imaging so realistic, I could picture myself sitting there as if I was there at their live concert. The stock cable is indeed no slouch. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #1,212 of 2,336

Quote:
"My opinion on the Magnum, now that I've had it for a while now, is that it is a perfected SR325i."

Interesting comment, but I don't quite know how to interpret it. Is a refined 325i worth a $400 upgrade? The combined value of $750 puts these headphones in a very competitive landscape: D7000, HE5-LE, HE-4 to name a few.
I am still waiting for my pair so I guess I will be able to answer this for myself soon. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #1,213 of 2,336

Quote:
Interesting comment, but I don't quite know how to interpret it. Is a refined 325i worth a $400 upgrade? The combined value of $750 puts these headphones in a very competitive landscape: D7000, HE5-LE, HE-4 to name a few.
I am still waiting for my pair so I guess I will be able to answer this for myself soon. 

Aren't all 400 dollar upgrades just "refined" versions of their lesser models? :p

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #1,214 of 2,336

Quote:

Send an e-mail to info@gradolabs.com - they'll respond back to you within 24 hours.  I sent my SR325i "Goldies" in late last week because I was experiencing an issue with a driver.  Even though mine were out of warranty, Grado will still take care of them.  I was quoted a price of $45.00 for the work and they'd cover the return shipping.  They're just located in Brooklyn, NY.  That's where I mailed mine in to.

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #1,215 of 2,336

Quote:
Aren't all 400 dollar upgrades just "refined" versions of their lesser models? :p

Yes.  You have it essentially right.  $400 upgrades are also for those individuals with disposable income that they don't know what to do with.  Right now, there's a pair of SR325is (chrome) headphones for $235 or so - and, they have the Bilavideo mods done on them - with the exception of applying Dynamat to the back of the magnet.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back