Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Feb 23, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #1,096 of 2,336
Currawong, thanks for adding a perspective.

I understand that Rhydon's job is not at all easy, but I feel like there is just not enough communication between him and his machinists. It's the third time now with these gimbals I've felt like we're back at day one. Why haven't they been able to produce anything?

I'm aware I'm asking loaded questions, but I don't have HD-800s, HF-2s, and LCD-2s on my person to distract me from this. My 325is were my only cans for home use (I have my Klipsch Image X10s, but they're simply too short to reach my Xonar Essence STX and are reserved for portable use). As a college student with a college student budget, my headphones were precious to me. As I sit here typing this with a Gamercom $20 headset, all I can really say is I miss my music.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #1,097 of 2,336
Yes, though annoying I don't believe anyone should feel that they are being scammed.  We all know the product exists and several respected people have stated how great they are.  There was also history with this particular product that delays should be expected.  There are a lot of moving parts with a product like this and had rhydod asked for a $500,000 business loan to pay for development costs upfront he would have wound up with too much overhead and debt that he would never be able to pay back.  I'm also part of a car forum and there have been several instances of people sending in money and business's going under, or goods that never work right.  I was part of a group buy for a custom made set of wheels that were delayed for over a year and there were several price increases ($hundreds each time) for development costs that got transferred to the customers and I bailed out.  But I don't see any of that going on here.

I am an engineer who makes a living at transferring advanced R&D to some level of a usable product - so I deal with organization like DARPA etc - but this is a process that often doesn't turn out so well and I've learned that there are 1000's of reasons why this is.  But I've also learned that I don't have the guts to leave my established job to pursue idea's that I know will work.  I also know that a lot of the complaints people have verbalized on here were because they just don't understand the whole process. So though I also find this whole process annoying, I'm also part of it because I appreciate what he is doing.  The person he is probably screwing over the most with these delay is himself since he is limiting his volume to such a low level that he could not possibly be making any real money off of them. (plus any bad 'feelings' will spread)  It may prove to be a bad business model - someone else already stated that this is an upgrade that's basically too much to pay for but still not enough for him to make a living...

He probably should hire a friend to come in and handle email traffic and post what his plans are.  He keeps talking about big things we'll all be excited about so it would be nice to know what his ideas are.

Im also frustrated because these were my only cans. To make matters worse I've purchased other gear for use with the grado's and so far they've only been able to function as paper weights.  So maybe I shouldn't have jumped in when I did but I don't feel that I'm being scammed.  This would be unacceptable for a company like Sony with endless money and resources but for a small, hand-made product - this is how the real world works.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #1,098 of 2,336
Just wanted to chime in here - been away for some time, and am a Magnum (lite) v1 owner.

After the delays of the V1, I decided not to go for the v2 even though it was offered for free (or close to it). I was happy with the v1s and didn't want to part with my Grado/Magnums again. It turned out to be a good thing because the v2 delay was quite long as I recall.

Anyway, the delays shouldn't be a secret to anyone who has read through the thread (and I don't know why someone who was worried about being scammed wouldn't...) and I just want to assure you that you are not being scammed. You will get your headphones and they will be bada$$ -- there's just no telling WHEN that may happen.

And for the record, I have a pair of Magnum v1 and Senn HD600 - and the Magnums are on my head 90% of the time.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,099 of 2,336
I think that Rhydon might be a perfectionist ... to a fault.

And he could certainly improve on his communication.  His web site is way out of date, the price for the lite version went up without any notice, and he could be more upfront with the people whose headphones he's working on now in terms of how long he thinks it's going to take to get them back.

But I agree with ScottieB too.  I read the entire thread, and the previous delays are well documented.  Anyone who wanted this done on a current set of headphones better have a back up pair because you won't get them back for a while.

With that said, I'm still keeping an eye on pcf's because he's local and when he gets his back I'm going to pester him for a listen. 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #1,100 of 2,336
Ah good point, Kevin. I'm not sure why he isn't more public - I think a bit more time spent talking to customers would ease a lot of the... unease. But again, the product ends up being worth it in the end :)

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #1,101 of 2,336

Quote:
With that said, I'm still keeping an eye on pcf's because he's local and when he gets his back I'm going to pester him for a listen. 
smile_phones.gif

Unfortunately I am not local anymore. Just moved back to London, England.
I was hoping to bring both the Magnum and the modd HP1 to the meet so we could have the two all-metal Grados for a shoot out. Well, the Magnum wasn't ready and I flew to London the day after the meet.
Were you in the meet?

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #1,102 of 2,336

Quote:
Unfortunately I am not local anymore. Just moved back to London, England.
I was hoping to bring both the Magnum and the modd HP1 to the meet so we could have the two all-metal Grados for a shoot out. Well, the Magnum wasn't ready and I flew to London the day after the meet.
Were you in the meet?

I was there, but I didn't get a chance to talk to you, and then I knew you didn't have the Magnums back yet.  Bummer !!  I wasn't sure if it was a temporary or permanent location change. 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,103 of 2,336

Quote:
Yeah, this most recent delay is now making me feel like an idiot, quite frankly. My friends whom I have told about this product are continuing to tell me how badly I'm getting scammed. A third of a year wait for a pair of headphones I was initially promised to have in a few weeks is, well, frankly embarrassing.

I am right on the brink of requesting for a refund and saving up a few hundred more for a pair of LCD-2s.

Have you received word or an updated ETA? I sent an inquiry in January, and "about two weeks" was the stated turn-around time.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,104 of 2,336
Rhydon emailed me to say that he has set a deadline of March 14, but likely I'd receive my headphones earlier.  He has changed the design again and ... I'll let you guess the rest. 

Feb 25, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #1,106 of 2,336
I didn't opt for the V3 upgrade but am interested in what others have to say about it. I've been pretty happy with the V2's with the APS V3 cable, they seem to strike just the right balance of bass, highs, and crystal clear mids for me. The delays are to be expected. It may be 3 months (at least) or 6 months, but you will eventually get them. And yes, the wait will be worth it. 

I'm just discovering Eva Cassidy, listening to her Live at Blues Alley album is just amazing through the Magnum. Such an intimate portrayal of emotion, a real nice treat. 
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #1,107 of 2,336

Quote:
I didn't opt for the V3 upgrade but am interested in what others have to say about it. I've been pretty happy with the V2's with the APS V3 cable, they seem to strike just the right balance of bass, highs, and crystal clear mids for me. The delays are to be expected. It may be 3 months (at least) or 6 months, but you will eventually get them. And yes, the wait will be worth it. 

I'm just discovering Eva Cassidy, listening to her Live at Blues Alley album is just amazing through the Magnum. Such an intimate portrayal of emotion, a real nice treat. 
wink.gif

I can't wait to hear Eva Cassidy through the Magnum too. Can the Magnum give the upgraded HP-1 a good run for their money on "Somewhere over the rainbow" ? I know the PS-1 can't.
It is a pitty all my HP1000s are still in the states but I will curtainly compare the PS1 and the Magnum when it arrives.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #1,108 of 2,336

Quote:
I can't wait to hear Eva Cassidy through the Magnum too. Can the Magnum give the upgraded HP-1 a good run for their money on "Somewhere over the rainbow" ? I know the PS-1 can't.
It is a pitty all my HP1000s are still in the states but I will curtainly compare the PS1 and the Magnum when it arrives.

Quite possibly...I never heard the HP-1's though. I wish someone in Seattle area had a pair so I could compare, that would save me from having to buy a pair. Though I know I'll probably own one eventually just for collection sake. My favorite track on Live at Blues Alley is "Autumn Leaves". I think she's amazing and more preferable than Diana Krall. She manages to keep my attention while listening to Diana Krall sometimes puts me to sleep. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #1,109 of 2,336
You should definitely find a pair for your collection. I had seen them in person before (without much interest), but never up close until pcf brought his HP1i to the meet. I was pretty calm outside but was freaking out inside on how good they were. What was really notable was how unremarkable they sounded (if you get what I mean), and how well they were constructed - the level of quality, detail, precision, handling, and artistry. The HP1 just seemed as if it was something an expert craftsman of long ago breathed his vision and essence into.

I'll be getting Alota's HP2, which he in turn purchased from Asr. I can't wait and I hope Joe is still in good health.

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #1,110 of 2,336

Quote:
You should definitely find a pair for your collection. I had seen them in person before (without much interest), but never up close until pcf brought his HP1i to the meet. I was pretty calm outside but was freaking out inside on how good they were. What was really notable was how unremarkable they sounded (if you get what I mean), and how well they were constructed - the level of quality, detail, precision, handling, and artistry. The HP1 just seemed as if it was something an expert craftsman of long ago breathed his vision and essence into.

I'll be getting Alota's HP2, which he in turn purchased from Asr. I can't wait and I hope Joe is still in good health.

Congrats! You have joined the club.
beerchug.gif

Are you thinking about getting the Joe Grado upgrade? Joe is still going strong and God bless him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back