Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jan 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #391 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you already own a 325i, upgrading to a Magnum is a no brainer. It is tonally closer to the 325i and exceeds the RS1i in resolution.

Ya if you have $399 laying around
wink_face.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #392 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I need to know is this:

Is the Magnum good enough to replace both the HF-2 and RS-1i?

For me, the Magnum is good enough to replace the RS1i most definitely. But not the HF2. I like to listen to the HF2 with jumbo pads on and with that I get immense soundstaging and air that the Magnum does not provide with standard bowls. I haven't tried the Magnum with jumbo pads on yet, so will not comment.

The other thing about the HF2 that I really like is its tone. It shares the same tonal qualities of both RS1 and 325. There is a sense of warmth, body, texture, and reverb/resonance when having a wood chamber and this is where I think the RS1 shines. The HF2 also has this but to a smaller extent.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #395 of 2,336
Listening with the HF-2 today, there's some music that works best with the prominent bass and some music that I like the speed and natural sound of the Magnums best.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #396 of 2,336
I wonder which is better with Melodic Death Metal? eg: In Flames, Children of Bodom. Not for a few months at least (planning that) I want to get Grado's again purely for metal and am thinking about HF-2, RS-1 Vintage and Magnum 325.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #397 of 2,336
Just forming first impressions on only 4 hours of burn in or so, but so far these spank my RS1s...... will get into more detail later but am worried I'll prefer these to my SR-X Mk.III/Pros in the inevitable shootout.

I had really low expectations but these things are very good...

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #398 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just forming first impressions on only 4 hours of burn in or so, but so far these spank my RS1s...... will get into more detail later but am worried I'll prefer these to my SR-X Mk.III/Pros in the inevitable shootout.

I had really low expectations but these things are very good...

I was actually really thinking hard about getting an RS1. I think I'll be delaying that plan.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #399 of 2,336
Granted their intimate soundstage, how do these cans sound with classical music?

Also, Currawong, would you say they have a similar bass quantity to the HD800?

Finally, has anyone found their trebble emphasis annoying at all... or is it a strength?

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #400 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Granted their intimate soundstage, how do these cans sound with classical music?

Also, Currawong, would you say they have a similar bass quantity to the HD800?

Finally, has anyone found their trebble emphasis annoying at all... or is it a strength?

They throw a surprisingly wide soundstage balanced from the Phoenix. Granted, that's the Phoenix, which does this SE out to a power amp and speakers even. The treble is great on my rig, which is smooth. It's very revealing of flaws, so when I tried it briefly with the FUN rather than the Phoenix, it was best with the slightly warmer/rolled-off FET module. I imagine they will be equally great with high-end gear.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #401 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They throw a surprisingly wide soundstage balanced from the Phoenix. Granted, that's the Phoenix, which does this SE out to a power amp and speakers even. The treble is great on my rig, which is smooth. It's very revealing of flaws, so when I tried it briefly with the FUN rather than the Phoenix, it was best with the slightly warmer/rolled-off FET module. I imagine they will be equally great with high-end gear.

Any comparison with the HE-5 if you may, Curra?

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #402 of 2,336
Any US customers here haven't received their Magnums? It's now 2 weeks and no arrival to my package forwarding facility in the US. If there are others still waiting, then I'll relax, but in my experience with many packages, this smells like a problem. I have just never had to deal with a delivery from Canada via Canada post.

My ALO K702's shipped on the 5th Jan and I'm already listening to them. They reached my forwarding service last Friday! That's just a comparison. Though that was FedEx, USPS is usually good as well.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #403 of 2,336
So any rich individuals want to give me money to do this
smily_headphones1.gif
. I kid I kid, but I may save up for this considering everyone seems to be happy. I have an older pair of SR325 that may have a different driver, as I was told they were a testing model when I purchased them. Do you think this would make a difference?

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #404 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any comparison with the HE-5 if you may, Curra?

My comments in the HE-5 impressions thread might help here. The HE-5s are rather like HF-2s in that they are more fun-sounding, but with a wild treble peak, further back sweet mids and a bit more prominent-than-neutral bass. They also get congested with fast, complex music. The Magnums don't have any fancy tonal tricks to capture you, just give the music in absolute terms, however simple, complex, fast or slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back