Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Oct 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #121 of 2,336
I got the impression that some of the Magnums had shipped. However, it would seem that this wasn't the case since by now, someone would have already started giving testimonials about their experiences. I'm just a tad concerned now.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #122 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a surprising experience of HF-1s on my rig, I caved and ordered both HF-2s and the Magnums. Latest news is, unfortunately, that they broke the tooling to connect the cups, so there will be another, albeit short, delay of a few days. I was hoping to receive my pair in time for an Elekit factory visit next week, but that doesn't look like happening. At least I wont have to wait for the drivers to burn in.

you magnumized your HF2's?

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #123 of 2,336
Rob (royjones),

Nice to see you are still on here buddy. You'll have to come out to my next meet. It's been too long.

- Jay Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you make different Grados?

Well, you missed a couple that I am aware of there, and I'm certainly no expert. Given the amount of research and testing that he put into this project, I'd imagine he may have figured out a thing or two that even we haven't thought of.
tongue.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the impression that some of the Magnums had shipped. However, it would seem that this wasn't the case since by now, someone would have already started giving testimonials about their experiences. I'm just a tad concerned now.

This is the first run, keep your pants on.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would be absolutely shocked to the core if Rhydon doesn't deliver on these. I consider myself a pretty good judge of character and based on the time I've spent with him at meets and other get togethers, you have nothing to worry about.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #124 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you magnumized your HF2's?

I bought both is what I meant.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #127 of 2,336
Quote:

Everyone, i hope this is the last update i have to send.

While we were assembling the latest run of headphones we encountered a problem with one of our tools. The particular tool is a 2 ton press used to fuse our new rods to the headphone ear-cups. To optimize the production line, this step is left until last- it involves mounting the completed ear-cups and the finished rods into a high strength press, then under extreme pressure, the 2 metals are forged together to ensure a seamless fit which will not separate under the most demanding conditions. This technology, while difficult to engineer, is far superior to any glues or structural adhesives. It is the trademark quality to the Magnum design.

Due to the immense pressure involved during the procedure, all parts require a tolerance 1/1000th the thickness of a human hair. Something very hard to measure using conventional tools. We believe the chroming process used for the support rods introduced a minute difference in size, ultimately resulting in failure of the jig used to support the headphone during pressing.

As it stands our machinists are well towards working a solution. Unfortunately, this means a pause in production until a new jig can be manufactured. All issues aside, we estimate to be back up and running by the weekend, with shipping resuming on the 5th.

I know many of you have requested we 'take the time' to get it right- we have conquered the impossible with these headphones, from people telling us 'it can't be done' to manufactures discontinuing materials after we start production- getting it right is something we are very good at. While these early steps are painful, they are all part of making a stronger, better product.

For those of you who have not yet received shipping confirmation I ask for your continued patience while we resolve this matter. Trust me when i say it will be well worth the wait...

Regards,

Rhydon Rayment
SYMPHONES AUDIO

This was the last I heard from them.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #128 of 2,336
i got the chance to speak with Rhydon the other day. we should be getting ours very soon. mines is burning in as we speak and should be shipping in the coming week. i think he wants to be sure that they're okay before they ship out and that the drivers don't burn out before we get them.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #129 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got the chance to speak with Rhydon the other day. we should be getting ours very soon. mines is burning in as we speak and should be shipping in the coming week. i think he wants to be sure that they're okay before they ship out and that the drivers don't burn out before we get them.

'the drivers don't burn out'? I'm not sure what you mean by that or burning in the drivers. So, he's not leaving us to do that?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #130 of 2,336
yeah, he's burning them in for us so it should be ready to listen when we get them. he's doing the burn-in because of the new coating on the drivers, he wants to make sure that none of them get "burnt out".

just thought i'd throw this out there also...

when i asked him how they compared to the PS1000 and HP2, he said that they sound closer to the HP2 than the PS1000. the HP2 does use different drivers though and some characteristics he described were that the HP2 are "slower". i think we can expect a more "neutral" sound and i agree that we'll indeed be in for a real treat. perhaps a John Grado version, a faster, more exciting sounding HP2?
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #132 of 2,336
Quote:

yeah, he's burning them in for us so it should be ready to listen when we get them. he's doing the burn-in because of the new coating on the drivers, he wants to make sure that none of them get "burnt out".

Could you ask him for a photo of the long (?) row of these beauties burning in?
They sure looked good on the website.

EDIT: Come to think of it, they have to have a lot of amplifiers to burn them all in at the same time... impressive thing to do, nonetheless.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #133 of 2,336
Quote:

This sounds like a pretty hard-core mod he's doing, more even than the explanation on the web site suggests.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you ask him for a photo of the long (?) row of these beauties burning in?

I think a photo or some photos right now would be good to re-assure us. My instincts are saying that he's aiming to make the most epic Grado mod ever and that he's pushed himself and the mod to a degree that he's run into a few problems, as it's always the last 5% of any project that causes the most headaches.

Hell, I waited many months for the HD-800s and HF-2s, so I can live with this wait, though I wouldn't mind a bit more in the way of updates, or at least a photo or two.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #134 of 2,336
Really looking forward to some reviews - hopefully they are coming soon.
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #135 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really looking forward to some reviews - hopefully they are coming soon.
tongue.gif

I think you've got the cart before the horse here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back