Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Sep 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #106 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. The SR325is are definitely bright. It's great with some recordings, but harsh with others. For instance, I avoid listening to groups like Metallica and RadioHead when using them. Too harsh on the ears. <sigh>

This certainly isn't the case with my RS2i's.

On the other hand, I bought MY 325i goldies for metal bands.
biggrin.gif
You haven't heard sharp and engaging till you've heard Opeth's Morningrise on vinyl and 325is.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #107 of 2,336
After that initial feeling that I wouldn't do it, indecision returned and I
eventually decided to experiment and submitted my own for the Magnum upgrade.
ph34r.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #108 of 2,336
Quote:

After that initial feeling that I wouldn't do it, indecision returned and I
eventually decided to experiment and submitted my own for the Magnum upgrade.
ph34r.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

lol, welcome to the club.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #110 of 2,336
I just got a notice from Rayment that they had managed to ship out over half of the pre-orders and that if I hadn't yet received shipping info, then they'll be shipping out the rest by Monday or Tuesday next week.

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #112 of 2,336
In the meantime, I've been getting more acquainted with my MarkL modded D5000's with JMoney pads. Quite nice, but I still miss my 325is and can't wait to hear what they'll sound like spiffed up. Are we supposed to be experiencing PS1-type sound?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #113 of 2,336
Quote:

In the meantime, I've been getting more acquainted with my MarkL modded D5000's with JMoney pads. Quite nice, but I still miss my 325is and can't wait to hear what they'll sound like spiffed up. Are we supposed to be experiencing PS1-type sound?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm guessing it will be more neutral.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #117 of 2,336
Quote:

Are we supposed to be experiencing PS1-type sound?
smily_headphones1.gif

don't know what the PS1 sounds like, but my guess is that it will retain or perhaps slightly extend the highs of the SR325i. i personally don't think you can extend the highs any further, they have the best highs on any can i've ever heard. i'd expect it to have better resolution, detail with rich mids and extended bass such as the RS1.

Quote:

We've had a few people ask us about the original SR325's-the sonic improvements are identical to the other versions post Magnum...It would give your pair a unique look thats for sure- more like the HP-1000's...As for sonics- the new coating actually works to enhance high frequency response through better controlling the diaphragms breakup mode. Short answer- very much so.

The new headphone is much more 'refined' than stock MS2/325- bass, mids & highs. improvements are across the board...There is no sonic difference between the SR325 and MS2 post mod - this is on purpose.

based on Rhydon's comments, i'm expecting overall: a more balanced, neutral presentation, with extension across the frequency spectrum.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #118 of 2,336
I've talked with Rhydon personally about this mod and I think those that have ordered will be pleasantly surprised. Though I haven't ordered a pair my self, I can't wait to hear them at the next Toronto meet... which, assuming I can get my act in gear, should be sooner than later.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #119 of 2,336
Id love to hear these and would be dank if they really outperform the common idea of what they will be.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #120 of 2,336
After a surprising experience of HF-1s on my rig, I caved and ordered both HF-2s and the Magnums. Latest news is, unfortunately, that they broke the tooling to connect the cups, so there will be another, albeit short, delay of a few days. I was hoping to receive my pair in time for an Elekit factory visit next week, but that doesn't look like happening. At least I wont have to wait for the drivers to burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back