Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jul 15, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #47 of 2,336
Well if the discount is from $600 to $560 (for example) is still is much more than the headphones/drivers/ housing cost.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #51 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im assuming all they need are drivers, why don't they just buy the drivers and make their own line rather then modifications?

One reason would be the need to start from scratch with no reputation. This way, they have a ready made market with a can of known reputation and known limitations that people would like to address.

Basically the way I read their site, is that they remove Grado's driver doping and are trying to tell you they can dope the drivers better. As well as the physical mods they perform.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #52 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One reason would be the need to start from scratch with no reputation. This way, they have a ready made market with a can of known reputation and known limitations that people would like to address.

Basically the way I read their site, is that they remove Grado's driver doping and are trying to tell you they can dope the drivers better. As well as the physical mods they perform.

That seems to be what they do, however if they can tweak a driver they can do so for any grado HP except iGrado. SO if they can mod sr60(i)'s driver, put a new housing, etc that would explain a bit more the price.

Even so I still think it is way to pricey... You can get some RS1 that sound great for that price
rolleyes.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #53 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seems to be what they do, however if they can tweak a driver they can do so for any grado HP except iGrado. SO if they can mod sr60(i)'s driver, put a new housing, etc that would explain a bit more the price.

Even so I still think it is way to pricey... You can get some RS1 that sound great for that price
rolleyes.gif

So let's run down what you get for the price($600):

New AL Billet Driver cups
New AL Billet Gimbals, Pins, and End pieces
A new/better coating/Doping on your driver

Those parts in any type of volume at all are not much cost wise.

You're obviously paying for better Dope!!

Until reviewed, TEAM Snake Oil has this on it's watch list!

If you believe that Grado has only 2 different drivers and that any sound differences between models is because of doping, this makes sense.

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #54 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

that is true...if the discount dropped the price to 500 or even 400, it might be worth a shot.
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #55 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If by doping you're referring to the goop stuff on the rear of the driver, the way I read the description was that they treated the front of the driver as well (portion pointing towards your ears) Also, they re-use the metal portion of the cups - hence, if you send in an HF-2, it'll still look cosmetically like the HF-2, just with more metal parts.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #56 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If by doping you're referring to the goop stuff on the rear of the driver, the way I read the description was that they treated the front of the driver as well (portion pointing towards your ears) Also, they re-use the metal portion of the cups - hence, if you send in an HF-2, it'll still look cosmetically like the HF-2, just with more metal parts.

The Goop on the back is part of the "Tuning Procedure" and may be called doping by some. But Doping refers usually to things that are done to the diaphragm itself. When you read on Grados page about de-stressing the drivers, he is referring to coatings applied. Dopings are coatings. Symphones is directly referring to removing Grados doping and adding his own doping in the procedure described on the website.

I deal with that goop on the back this way. If it's not there like on 225s and lower. I add some Blu Tack or the tar out of some Dynamat. Just don't cover the holes on the metal plate of the back of the driver.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #58 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah thanks for the clarification

There's a book out there about doping loudspeaker and headphone drivers. I could kill myself for not buying it when I saw it. Those sticky/tacky coatings on Loudspeakers are doping coats. The reason why I was interested in the doping book was to do what Rydon is doing here. I wanted to get some cheap Grados and play around with coatings.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #60 of 2,336
"MAGNUM upgrade for Grado SR325, HF2, and Alessandro MS2"

Does this imply that HF2 uses the same driver as SR325/MS2? Or is this some well known fact i miss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back