SURPRISED! Monster NCredible N-Pulse are kicking my... (General musings/Impressions/Reviews/etc. thread)
Nov 10, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #61 of 71
Excellent.

If you ordered via amazon, they don't have issues with RMA'ing stuff, so you could just return them and stick with your M50s until you meet something that really "moves" you.

:wink:

Good luck!

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #63 of 71
Okay I will give my first impressions...the presentation on these is solid. It comes in a smaller box than I originally imagined it would be that is wrapped tight and all the products are tight inside the box. You open it, some booklets, bumper sticker, cleaning cloth. Then inside you have a straight cable which isn't that long but fine while listening to mobile device.

It can be said to be heavy, some people complained about the top rubber cushion, it isn't hurting my head so far but this is heavier than my previous headphones and needs some getting used to. It feels sturdier and thicker than my XB500's and they are a lot tighter. If you want to stretch them out it will require more force than usual but it fits tightly. I can't tell if my ears are hitting the stereos, but my ears immediately got hot. And this is pretty annoying.

This is the problem, it isn't wide enough. The cans that is, and my Xb500's fit well on my ears. If you have small ears these might fit fine but anything over that I doubt it will please you. However, I am just going to try to deal with it and adapt to it.

Now getting to the sound, my first impressions were good and bad. The first difference I noticed, although keep in mind out of box literally first minutes was that the bass was more punchy and tight. With the Xb500's the bass blends in because it is almost always consistent throughout the music and is more of basshead headphone. With these, certain bass stands out and almost hits your ear when necessary. I am also hearing some instruments in background I didn't hear on Xb500s. There is no overwhelming bass.

The voice on these sounds more natural and warm I guess, if that is the right word. And I'm not trying to dissappoint but I kind of felt that the Xb500's had more clarity but didn't sound as natural. The Xb500's also felt different in the sense for example the first 6 seconds of a song, it felt like as it was going into those 6 seconds in between it would fluctuate and almost like there were barriers but those barriers kind of made it more fun but weren't as natural sounding, more like getting the most kick possible. With the Monsters the lyrics flow, it almost comes like in one package and I kind of like that. Of course it needs some time getting used to.

The monsters also can get a good amount louder than the XB500's. And they defitnely have better noise isolation, my sibling couldn't hear anything at 70% volume in a quiet enviroment. Of course my device has boomsound and boomsound made the singing voice louder to become near the the sound of the bass. I turned it off, but never tried Xb500's without it.

So the sound overall is more refined than the Xb500's, you will hear some low sounding instruments such as piano in background. The voice stands out more and is more engaging. You will hear more enthuasim coming from the lyrics. But, the Xb500's may sound funner in the instrument department.

If you're listening to only vocals with no instruments it might sound more muffled for some audio files. But on Xb500 some audio files sounded clearer.

In conclusion, these are literally first 20 minutes of impressions. I probably need to adapt to them still to get used to them. However, I try being as honest as possible, I don't know if it is that my ears aren't fitting well or what, but they don't appear to be a major improvement from 80 dollar Sony's let alone much a noticeable difference.

I hope this isn't how the higher end ones are like, I don't see a point in upgrading to Sound Magic Hp100's if they don't seduce me with their sound quality. And I need bigger cans than the ones Monster offer that's forsure. By tomorrow I will probably update this again to see if I take back some of my statements and this is just due to using it for first time.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #64 of 71
Final Impressions, sorry for those who think this may be harsh but I have to be honest.

Unless your ear is the size of a quarter, these won't fit around them. And I have leprechaun like ears. So it is very uncomfortable and I'm assuming my ears are hitting the speaker. They are also heavy for most people.

These are not a fun sounding pair of headphones. Now that I tried the Xb500's again, the Monsters have more clarity with instruments, mids, highs, whatever else they're called but they're not utilized correctly. How do I explain...basically the engineering on the Xb500 is well done and it makes the music fun. Some things blend in when necessary and overall the package works well. And I am back to listening to them. 

The Monsters offer much more loudness but the loudness is harsh at higher volumes, nothing seems to improve in sound quality. It is like a nuetral pair of headphones, boring to listen to. Less bass isn't the problem, everything in this is the problem. Unless maybe it is lack of bass, dunno.

The Xb500's are lighter and fit around my ear. So in conclusion, you're better off with decent 50$ headphones than these. Xb500's will give you better experience even if you lack a little clarity here and there. I really hope the 200$ bracket of audiphile headphones(Not mainstream monster, beats) offer much greater sound quality and all around package.

ROFL, and for some reason my Father randomly brings two sets of Beats Studios wireless, was not expecting that at all. Just out of nowhere he gets two of them after I receive my Monsters. So I will test these Beats Studios out, and give my impressions in the Beats thread.

Now I feel I want to keep my Xb500's and not give them out, maybe they are rare and nice addition to music. Unless the Sound Magics make me change my mind.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #65 of 71
I tried out the Beats Studio Wireless but with a wire just to test sound quality. It is lighter and thinner and more comfortable around the head. However, the top of my ears stick east so it is shoving itself against the speaker. In short, it does sound more fun than the Monsters. It is all around more managed and the bass kicks in more and shakes more. It doesn't sound as harsh as Monsters at higher volumes but past 85% volume the quality begins to deteriorate. I still do not see something that will impress me.

Both the Monsters and the Beats are garbage for the price. If you're looking for sound quality look away from these. When I try Sound Magic's I'll compare to these. For build quality, the Beats do it better than the Monsters, both are stylish if that's what you're looking for. For average people they may be impressed or satisfied but in no way am I since my 80$ Xb500's at the time and over 3 years now sound just as fun and better at higher volumes but lower volumes the others might be a little better.

I need really big cans for my ears, I like to have them fully over and around. So overall:

1. Xb500's
2. Beats Studio wireless
3. Monster Npulses

Don't even bother purchasing 2 and 3 look for something better. You get most value with Xb500's, and I've dropped them many many times and nothing happened. Just the leather on top is eroding a little and the cushions but other than that it works well.

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #66 of 71
The sound quality of these headphones is great. Clear sound maybe sometimes lacking on the low side when listening to some hip-hop or other music of the same sort. On the built quality all I can say is that currently I'm wearing my 4th set in the time of about 1 year and a half. In all the three cases the headphones broke all from the same location which is from the left hand side of the headband. I take very good care of these headphones and in all three cases they broke when I was going to put them on my ears normally.

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #68 of 71
I'm sorry but whenever someone talks down on the monster N-pulse, and in the next breathe says they own beats, I just want to laugh ! Monster created beats ! Beats still use monsters design, cables, and drivers. The new model headphones have recently been made slightly better and have gotten an EQ UPGRADE, but that's it they are and will always be glorified monster headphones !! The monstwr N-pulse headphones arent bad for 100$, but hey people pay 200$-400$ for practically the same sound with Beats. But at this price, there are better options. The best headphones I've bought under 100$ are my JBL synchros s500's. They are 69$ on eBay brand new and I think 80$ on Amazon which is a lot better then the original 320$ price tag. But they have great bass you can feel, but only she it's called for, the clarity is great and the vocals are amazing. I don't care for the soundstage option I leave it off, but they are truly good headphones, and are better then my B&W's and my AKG's. I mean you figure jbl is found in almost every concert hall, arena, club, studio ect...

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #69 of 71
I'm sorry but whenever someone talks down on the monster N-pulse, and in the next breathe says they own beats, I just want to laugh ! Monster created beats ! Beats still use monsters design, cables, and drivers. The new model headphones have recently been made slightly better and have gotten an EQ UPGRADE, but that's it they are and will always be glorified monster headphones !! The monstwr N-pulse headphones arent bad for 100$, but hey people pay 200$-400$ for practically the same sound with Beats. But at this price, there are better options. The best headphones I've bought under 100$ are my JBL synchros s500's. They are 69$ on eBay brand new and I think 80$ on Amazon which is a lot better then the original 320$ price tag. But they have great bass you can feel, but only she it's called for, the clarity is great and the vocals are amazing. I don't care for the soundstage option I leave it off, but they are truly good headphones, and are better then my B&W's and my AKG's. I mean you figure jbl is found in almost every concert hall, arena, club, studio ect...

I do not own beats, I use Sony headphones. Both beats and monster headphones are sub-par quality. I was giving honest impressions on the N-Pulse, the heavy weight and small earcups were not tolerable. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #70 of 71
Has anyone compared the N-pulses to the monster 24K headphones? It seams both are very similar (other than the flashy gold paint).
Is there any difference in sound quality? Do the N-pulses have the same sound?

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #71 of 71
One of the worst headphones i ever bought. I made a serious mistake, i purchased these bad cans, after a very short test. I paid for them, put them on, and after 20 minutes i decided to bring them back. I couldn´t because of hygiene reasons they couldn´t get them back. So i had to keep them, and since then (it happened about 2 years ago), i put them on every now and then, and desperately try to find something positive. Unsuccessfully, so far. Well, they have certain dynamics, some bass. (I´ve got a nice collection of quality headphones from cheap ones like Koss PortaPro, to more expensive ones, KEF M500, House of Marley Destiny TTR, Klipsch, and some more including a few Sennheisers, JVC, B&O, and a Monster Inspiration etc), but these are just bad. Way too big, bulky, uncomfortable, but the worst is the sound. The lows are almost okay, the mids are recessed and bad, but the highs... OMG. If i use them with my Fiio X3 II, with lossless FLAC, and listen to Brian Brombergs "Wood II" album, those very neutral, and beatiful cymbals sound like some weird, hissing noise, they pierce my ear, nowhere even near to the real sound of the cymbals... All the highs are sharp, distorted. Unbearable, truly. Since i have them, i deesperately try to sell them, (i paid about 160$ brand new), but literally after a short listen, no one wanted to pay even 60 bucks for them. They are awful. Absolutely. These cans are for teenage kids, but not for someone who visited live music events, and knows how music should sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back