Superlux HD668B. I'm impressed.
May 26, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 12
That's it? I just bought them and I'm not impressed. I guess for $50 they're quite good for the money if you can deal with the mid-range. I can perfectly understand how some could like them.

The 681 would probably be a better match for me..

Everyone says the 668B is so balanced, sounds more like a V shaped response.

It's signature is similar to that of the DT-990 if you look on Superlux's webpage.

May 27, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
That's it? I just bought them and I'm not impressed. I guess for $50 they're quite good for the money if you can deal with the mid-range. I can perfectly understand how some could like them.

The 681 would probably be a better match for me..

Everyone says the 668B is so balanced, sounds more like a V shaped response.

It's signature is similar to that of the DT-990 if you look on Superlux's webpage.

Hahah, that's what I thought of at first when I got my SR850. I was like "who the hell can stand this V-shaped sound?" The mids were so bad on mine but after 300 hours of burn-in, it greatly improved. Now they're pretty enjoyable (other than comfort, the earpads suck). 

May 27, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Hahah, that's what I thought of at first when I got my SR850. I was like "who the hell can stand this V-shaped sound?" The mids were so bad on mine but after 300 hours of burn-in, it greatly improved. Now they're pretty enjoyable (other than comfort, the earpads suck). 

Yeah, I may burn them in some more and see if they change. I guess I don't want to make them out to look that bad since they're only $40 after all.
I also found that the Beyer Pleather pads fit, but it's a major pain to install them. I have some AKG pads that might work also.

May 27, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 12
I don't have a problem with V shaped sound, I loved my DT990's until the D7000's made them completely unneeded. But I was and am a bit dissapointed by 668B too. I hoped I'd enjoy them more then AKG K-240, but the AKG's are way more balanced. 668B has too much treble for me also, which is a bit strange as I can stand Grado RS1i and HF-2 treble. But in 668b's signature, I don't like it.

I heard solderdude's modded 681, which is a couple of leagues better for me. He's making one for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:

Yeah, I may burn them in some more and see if they change. I guess I don't want to make them out to look that bad since they're only $40 after all.
I also found that the Beyer Pleather pads fit, but it's a major pain to install them. I have some AKG pads that might work also.

As a SR850 owner, 2 things I'd like to point out =P

From what I've read in other threads, you've been listening quite a bit to what may be considered mid forward phones, in the form of the HD598, K601, K701, DJ100. I don't know about the other headphone in your sig. You may need some time to adjust.

Secondly, they definitely need burn in from my experience. I was coming from Denon D1100s and Panasonic HJE900s, two headphones quite known for their V shape and the SR850s were clearly more mid-recessed than both of those at first, which seemed odd, as the SR850s had "smaller" bass and smoother trebly. Luckily I actually like V-shaped sigs(actually pretty much any frequency response as long as extension is there both ways), so I didn't mind it much. But after the 250 hour or so mark they were very clearly more mid forward than any other phone I own. Not that I own many neutral/mid forward phones, only my ety MC5s really.

Then again, the SR850s are different from the Luxes. They're apparently like bassier, slightly less trebly detailed HD668Bs. I've gotten the impression that they may be more forward in the mids than the 668B too, but idk.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Price does not matter.
Its ad's said "The HD662/F is precision tuned, closed type monitoring headphones which matches the sound characteristics of the industrial standard. Balanced through out the spectrum, closed for the best sound isolation, the HD662/F provides detail and vivid sound for the professionals!". No BS here! I know it, because the classic, Jazz, Blues, new age, and chill-out are my major listening, and I am using HD-662F to listen them. The hd-662f is very excellent to use for listening to classic, jazz, new age, chill out etc, especially the classic and Jazz. because it hyper nothing, totally flat (that is the "F" stand for) and neutral. That is very important to listen to those kind of music, because we want to know how good those artist are playing, right?
It is a very detailed headphone, display every instrument in detail with excellent space separation feeling. Sounds nothing mix-up at all. I think this can is the most crystal clean one I have been tried. I own hd668B, hd-681, sen hd555, hd595, and many other brands' cans,  and had tried many many very expensive ones, but nothing like this hd662f! Every time after I tried a new can, I would be still keep looking for another one to try, because there always were something not right within. the sounds of piano, violin, viola, and  bass are very difficult to be reproduced from headphones and speakers. So, I always use those instruments' recording such as classic music to compare the sq of headphones and speakers to see how their sound are close to the real-life ones.  Every headphone and speaker is colored in sq more or less.  The number of the driver is limited, so sq's muddy happens more or less in them.  From comparing with real-life sound with my ears, the HD-662F is the closest  one.
I don't like to compare headphones or speakers with each other. However, if  try to find the sq like that of HD-662F, usually, you have to pay a lot, much lot!  I would say, try around $1000 headphone or & $5000 more speaker. No, the HD-662F won't let a bad recording become good one. But with a good recording, it is an amazing can. The truth is after one month's listening and get use to HD-662F's sq, it would be difficult to back to other cans. Recommend it and give it at least one month's listening.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Hi, nice info. Can you give us some info comparing the 3 Superlux you have? How do they compare to each other? I heard the 681 seems to be good for vocal and live band type of music and 668B is good overall?

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Hi, nice info. Can you give us some info comparing the 3 Superlux you have? How do they compare to each other? I heard the 681 seems to be good for vocal and live band type of music and 668B is good overall?

Yes, that is true. The HD681 (or the HD681F in my case) works very well for live music, while the HD668B is mostly neutral apart from the very slight bass bump and toned down mids.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 12
For the three cans, HD-681, HD-668B, and HD-662F,  the HD-681 has more punch on base but still clean on mid and high with sq like smile eq curve. All descriptions on web are true and it is a very good headphone used for rocks and live rocks shows. The HD-668B has less punch bass but with more balance through whole spectrum. HD-668B has warmth mid and clean high. Its sq is very much like that of both Sen HD-595 and HD-598, but just better IMO. If your'e planning to buy HD-595 or HD-598, do you own favor, buy this HD-668B, that will save you $200 bucks and get a little bit better sq from it than that of Sens'.
About the HD-662F,  just as I mentioned before, hyper nothing and flat through whole sound spectrum with as neutral and less colored as possible.  Crystal clean through whole sound spectrum. That means you can not expect it has any punch bass any time and every time, the "punch" bass only appear when it should be, the tighter bass I should say. Because it own the most "cleanest" sound among  all those headphones I mentioned above, so it fell more space separation between instruments. you can hear the individual instruments' playing and background recording in extremely detail. how detail the HD-662f could be? Once I used the sen HD-595 to listen a classic record, and found a very subtle strange sound I just can not figure out what is it? Then, I used the HD-662F to find out the strange sound came from one artist trying to turn his note papers! HD-662F can replay just such detail sounding. Beside the detail performance, the HD-662F has the closest sq as real tun from live instruments, especially the drums and pianos. About the human vocal,  I would say I like HD-662F better than both of HD-681 and HD-668B, but all are better or as good as any Senns' at least.  Generally, the Jazz signers' vocal sound from HD-662F much like that she or he hold a mac stand alone before you, very close to you, and leave band behind. you seem can feel his or her breath on you. That is a vivid and lively experience. From the HD-681 and HD-668B, the vocal experience is a little bit different, signers more like stand a little bit backward within band. How these three cans sound depend heavily on the quality of records. Bad records won't have any miracle, no matter which headphone or speaker you use. All in all, HD-662F is such excellent to use for listening the classic (including opera), jazz (vocal or not), blues, new age, chill-out, and lounge musics.
 HD-681 and HD-668B are more like on sq than that of HD-662F.  no matter which one you go for, I would suggest keep one HD-662F on hand at least. I keep all three superluxes, though I almost just use HD-662F to listen all types of musics, including the rock and metal.  However, the HD-662F sounds so different compared with others, I think one should give it a month's listening at least to use to its sq. I don't want to call that period " burn in". I think it is just that you use to its sq at all. After that, may be it will be a no-turning point like me.
The down side is the HD-662F's head band, it is little tight on ears. But for time passing, it get a little improvement. Or, you can adjust the band force by bending the band carefully. The other weak point is its pads, which will cause ears sweat.  The Senns' are much comfortable than that of Superluxs'. Otherwise, Superluxs are much better choice.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #12 of 12
am I mistaken that each of the Superlux model has three profiles (F, B and blank) that it would be difficult to identify the inherent character of the model itself, unless one is able to compare the models with ths same profile (such as 662F, 662B and 662).

As described "The HD662 series offer three distinctive sound profiles, each with its own character: The HD662 features a deep and rich bass, the HD662F has a true bass response, and the HD662B has a powerful bass punch. As for the sound image presented by these headphones, the HD662 gives you the feeling of actually being on stage with the artists while the HD662F makes you feel as if you sitting on the front row and the HD662B puts you in the middle of the concert hall..."

a Superlux dealer told me that the HD661 is the best yet, but I am not so sure because seeming from the frequency response graph from Superlux website it looks exactly like a 7506.

fr_HD661.png

actually are there counterfeit, as I found the price varies a great deal across different places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back