Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat???
Oct 16, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #256 of 294
This 668b has ear friendly treble which is more comfortable than Fidelio X2.
X2's treble lives between on the border of shrilling that gives more sound stage and more resolving ability without congestion in the complex passage.
668b's treble is well within safety zone but when it passes through complex outburst of orchestration I feel some degree of congestion onto upper side.
But those situations are not everyday business.
Whenever I wear this phone, my desire for upgrading phone is quenched.
I consider this phone would have 90% of my possible upgraded sonic quality.
Also it makes me smile for multiple reasons which is not only the cost, but also SQ, my self-content or self-control keeping out my temptation, etc.
How I got back down to 668b from high end planar phones in the past? it should be amazing story.

Are you using stock pads?

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #258 of 294
My setup for 668b with Brainwaz HM5 hybrid earpads,
Ifi nano USB3.0 --> Fx-audio dac X7--> Aune X7s--> Ghentaudio audio cable for headphone stock cable.
20181016_211200.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #259 of 294
When you pass through top class phones like hd800 / th900 / nighthawks /he-6 and listen to 668b again, it is a big surprise that you might feel it is not inferior at all.
It is perplexing and confusing, but it is true.
For example if you choose Mahler's symphony 8, that is the largest size orchestra ever written and requires huge capacity to resolve the sonic outburst, then this humble 668bs might be the one for that duty.
I am not saying other top phones is not adequate but this humble 668b is not disqualified at all.
Of course I am refereeing to my moded with HM-5 hybrid ear pads with 3rd party cable which is also humble one.

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #260 of 294
IMO, you use good source and top Amp.

I swap my Yaxi Alcantra with my old angled PU Leather.. I prefer the old one... spark of high freq is really good. even I alrd get used of the noise from the 7N gold plate cable... the detail is really got into me....

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #261 of 294
For me I've used a lot of cheapy studio monitors includes this HD668b guys every single of them has big cons around the sound or comfort none of them were good and accurate enough than Equation Audio RP-21 even theyre cheap plastic and very uncomfortable monitors.

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #262 of 294
I invited one of my friends for dinner, and let him listen to hd668b.
I asked him to guess how much I paid for this phone after a good listening, and he guessed 1k dollars.
I said "no no, it was only 25 USD", and he was very surprised at this low cost phone sounding so great.
Probably the phone alone does not sound very well, but all those supporting devices like USB stabilizer, linear power source, dedicated dac, and amp.
Of course there are some mods, and good digital music source.
The phone is only one node of them, and sing beautifully beyond expectation.

Jan 28, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #263 of 294
So I just picked up the HD668B and while I get the giant killer comparisons, I do have to say the treble is a little too much. This can be fixed in EQ to some extent. Once you tame the treble, this is a pretty great sounding can!

I generally agree with this review though:
https://www.head-fi.org/goto/post?id=12809227#post-12809227

To summarize, the mids are somewhat lacking and EQ cannot really fix this. The bass under 80 Hz needs a bit more amplification as well. If anyone has a decent Peace or Equalizer APO profile that can fix this, let me know. These are all nitpicks though, which if fixed, could elevate an already great-sounding cheapo headphone.

At the moment, this is what I have in EQ to fix the treble:

1000 Hz -3.5 DB
2500 Hz -4.5 DB
6000 Hz -7 DB (bring it back up if you want more treble)
14000 Hz -7.5 DB

FYI, I'm using velour pads instead of stock and am using these unamped.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #264 of 294
I come back to 668b after H800 / He560 / Fidelio X2, and still surprises me at the sound quality that suites me very much.
More bass and more tasteful strings and organic sound signature.
This phone cannot be considered as inferior at all but different.

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #265 of 294
Whenever you have sense of urgency to upgrade to more expensive phones, you can simply put this phones and then your attempt will not be justified.

May 30, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #269 of 294
Honestly... I don't have much good to say about my pair at least. I swapped the pads to velour but it's still the most uncomfortable headphone that I've ever owned. Even after bending the heck out of it. It sounds sibilant (treble is over the top), grainy, lack of resolution, imaging is poor and vocals aren't great. It's not smooth transition from bottom to top. No matter how much I try to EQ, it doesn't really fix anything. That being said, it's all relative - probably good in its price range. You pretty much get what you are paying for. I'm not a fan of this type of tuning at all. Doesn't sound natural at all to my ears.

Originally bought a pair when I waited for my HD 595 to get fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back