Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat???
Feb 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #91 of 294

I assume this is a response to my question?

So you mean ditch HD668b and get either of the 3? Does the Evo in your post points to "Superlux HD681 Evo"?  SR850 is the presonus so it means it same with the 681b? Seems I leaning with the Evo. Have read some reviews and I think it fits what I am looking for. Good thing they have it on my local store. One concern, I'm asian and the evo is not adjustable. Will it still stay in my head while drumming? I tend to make a groovy head movement but far from head bangin'.

Thanks! You comment really helped me. =)

The Evo is self-adjusting.

Evo = 681 Evo.

SR850 = 668B.

Go for Evo, unless you need a neutral sound presentation, in which case go with SR850.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #92 of 294

The Evo is self-adjusting.

Evo = 681 Evo.

SR850 = 668B.

Go for Evo, unless you need a neutral sound presentation, in which case go with SR850.

I have bought the Evo. The store does not have the 668B so I haven't auditioned them. Anyway I'm Quite happy with with it!

Bass is enough for me that its not distracting yet still enjoyable. The highs I don't know I haven't notice it much but maybe its all just the music I've been listening to test it . Right now I'm blasting it with sign wave - logarithmic adding up pink noise after the download.. Hope it would be much better after, if ever burning in is true. XD.

I really new to headphones and haven't auditioned it critically. Never had a very very high end on my ear so no idea what ever interms of SQ. Putting the best earphone there is having lets say 10 stars. Where do you think would Evo and 668B be at?

Feb 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #93 of 294
A 1? It's not really comparable to the highest end, $2000 phones... but it's a solid mid-fi. I'm not sure I can tell a major sound quality difference from my 558s (though those are more comfort, less bass/different sound profile, more open).

They're good phones for the price for the average person. They are more fun than accurate/neutral. I found them too uncomfortable for more than 3+ hours so I bought higher end phones. They're better than anything you'd find under $200 at best buy though.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #94 of 294
So its still worlds apart. XD

Some reviews uses 5 stars. sometimes these entry/mid levels gets 4 while high end gets 5. It gave me the wrong impression that high-ends and entry level only have small difference yet that difference is paid in premium.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #95 of 294
A 1? It's not really comparable to the highest end, $2000 phones... but it's a solid mid-fi. I'm not sure I can tell a major sound quality difference from my 558s (though those are more comfort, less bass/different sound profile, more open).

They're good phones for the price for the average person. They are more fun than accurate/neutral. I found them too uncomfortable for more than 3+ hours so I bought higher end phones. They're better than anything you'd find under $200 at best buy though.

I wouldn't say 'mid-fi' but perhaps my vernacular is out of date.

The SuperLux line are all very good value cans that give a listener most of what a $200 can provides.
They respond to good sources and good amplification, so as an example the 668b and a Fiios will result in excellent sound for $100.
SuperLux tend to have good sound-stage, an airy presentation, detail, and an audiophile-like aspiration.

Good bass in that they reproduce the lower strings of a floor standing acoustic string bass. Not for bassheads or EDM fanatics who like to loosen teeth.

They are a poor-man's audiophile headphone.

Do $250 hps sound better? They sure do...but they cost 10X times the price.

I have many of them and a pair of Pro80's. The Pro80s are very good for $79, but I still trot out my SL to listen to the sound-stage. A sound-stage that is superior to the Pro80's.

SL also do well with mods and cable and pad upgrades.

An excellent intro level hp for someone who wants good sound for cheap.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #96 of 294
Maybe they are low-fi, but I don't really see a huge difference between them and like 558s or dt990s. I wouldn't quite call them $200 sound, I'd say they are more like a $100 sound, or a solid sub-$50 can (there are better sub-$80 cans like the CAL, Takstar 2050/80, Pioneer SE-A1000, there are better sub-$100 cans like the shure 440, T50RP, that are definitely a step up). 

Good bass in that they reproduce the lower strings of a floor standing acoustic string bass. Not for bassheads or EDM fanatics who like to loosen teeth.

I'd say they are pretty good for bassheads. They aren't an XB or Beats but they have a ton of bass. 

I have many of them and a pair of Pro80's. The Pro80s are very good for $79, but I still trot out my SL to listen to the sound-stage. A sound-stage that is superior to the Pro80's.

How do the comfort compare? What about sound quality? The pro80s look a lot like the CALs, but I think I hear most people say pro80 > CAL (the few that have tried both, most just say cal and havent tried pro80). Do you have a 2050?

I'd definitely say the evo is the best can I've seen for under $60. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #97 of 294
  I'd definitely say the evo is the best can I've seen for under $60. 

I pretty much hated the HD681 Evo. Sound is much too veiled and the soundstage is inferior to the phased out HD681 (any variant, but I liked the HD681F best). No matter how much I listened to it or attempted to rectify it via EQ, I cannot find myself to like it.

Can anyone suggest good replacement pads for the HD668B? Preferably another pleather pad with better isolation. I don't like velour pads although they seem to be the most popular replacement.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #98 of 294
I pretty much hated the HD681 Evo. Sound is much too veiled and the soundstage is inferior to the phased out HD681

I agree 100%.
Theyre pretty good for some genres (bad indie rock recordings).
But otherwise, they lack clarity and the bass is kinda uncontrolled, muddy, lacks texture and separation. Vocals are at best average.
IMO, regular 681 is far superior and is a fantastic headphone. They kill any other under 100$ HPs (especially so-called budget kings like the Koss DJ 100).
My SL ranking:
1- 681 (velour pads) (by a huge margin)
2- 662F
3- modded Evo (felt discs + velour pads)
4- 668b (neutral, good FR transition, bass digs deep but lacks impact, sound is GRAINY imo and boring, no PraT,

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #99 of 294
Have you used the Takstar 2050, Pioneer SE-A100, or CAL? I'd be interested in hearing people compare those. Saying the 681 is best under $100 is a pretty bold claim. 

I mean the differences between the superlux models is mostly sound profile, not sound quality, as I understand. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #100 of 294
  Have you used the Takstar 2050, Pioneer SE-A100, or CAL? I'd be interested in hearing people compare those. Saying the 681 is best under $100 is a pretty bold claim. 

I mean the differences between the superlux models is mostly sound profile, not sound quality, as I understand. 

It really is each to his own. I bit the bait again on another budget-fi recommendation here at HeadFi and I came out unimpressed -- it was the Somic MH463. It's actually a very good headphone which is better than some Superlux models like the HD681 Evo, but it doesn't suit my tastes. Most unfortunate is I bought it under the impression that it would be suited to my tastes (balanced, neutral, analytical) since they were raving about how similar it is to the Sennheiser HD600, which I might retort it ISN'T. In terms of sound, yes. But abilities, no.

For me, the best headphones under $100 are (in no particular order, but by use):
Takstar Pro 80 and Superlux HD669 - For HiFi/general music listening
Superlux HD668B - For monitoring and audio production
Philips SHL3300 - For portable use

Do note that I do have my "best" EQ setting for these. There are some sets that sound better than others without EQ, but if a certain set doesn't play nice or isn't receptive to EQing, I don't bother with them anymore.

I also agree that among Superlux's most popular models, the difference is mostly sound profile. That's what I like about Superlux. They practically have a "flavor" for everyone and it's hard to fault catering to particular niches since they do it well. However, to me the only ones that remain outstanding relative to current competition is the HD668B and HD669. I already got rid of my other Superluxes in favor of similarly priced but better performing headphones.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #102 of 294
  I heard the Somic was rather uncomfortable so I avoided it. I've never heard of the 669 before.

I don't think it's THAT uncomfortable. Besides, you can easily change the pads. But compared to say Shure headphones, the difference in comfort is apparent. I'm more picky with sound rather than aesthetics and comfort.

Hmm... How to summarize the HD669. IMO, it combines the best qualities from each of Superlux's most popular models and puts it in a closed-back headphone. Sounds lively yet balanced, mids are emphasized and layering is superb. The "Superlux bass", or lack of impactful bass is retained, but it does extend deep. It's basically a very fun monitoring headphone. It can feel detached for a closed-back set, but that's because its soundstage is wide even by open-aural standards. It's a joy to hear duets and acapella on the HD669. Treble peaking and sibilance on the HD669 are easily rectified via EQ.

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #103 of 294
Just to make things even more confusing for people trying to make up their mind on which cheap headphone to buy... audio technica ath-m40fs is excellent. I bought a broken pair for 15 euros. I assumed it would be just a disconnected wire and easy to fix. I was right and now ath's are working perfectly.

These are propably THE most underrated headphone in head-fi. Hardly any talk about these headphones. At amazon.com there are 482 reviews, 292 are 5/5 and 104 are 4/5. People say these lack bass and sound boring.  I suppose those people were not properly amping these and/or are too used to heavily colored sound and boosted bass. When properly amped these don't lack bass. Bass is infact excellent, it hits hard when is supposed to and extension is great. 

Highs are smooth, polite but extremely detailed. I guess some people would like more emphasis on highs but I personally prefer sibilance free listening over extra sparkle. Mids are the best part, clear and uncolored. Soundstage is not that big but imaging is excellent. Perhaps even the best I've heard among cheaper headphones. These are marketed a Precision Studiophones, and it's not just a marketing talk. Detail is just amazing. These are one of the most detailed headphones I've heard. Right there with headphones like dt880, k701 and even unmodded T1. Nothing in budget land comes close. One thing worth noting is that these come with a 6,5mm plug. Shouldn't matter though. These definately need amping.  Anyone with decent source and amp should check these out. Unless one prefers badly produced music converted to low quality mp3's...These really reveal everything.

Here is my list of best cheap headphones. m40fs is not yet there. I need more time with these, but these will rank very high. Maybe even #1

1.  Digitech pro monitor
2.  takstar hi2050
3.  Pioneer se-a1000
4.  somic mh463
5.  Renkforce cd-340
6.  jvc ha-rx700
7.  Creative Aurvana Live!    
8.  Monoprice 8323
9.  Superlux hd681
10. JVC HA-S400    
11  Ace mp68/maxell retro dj and other fa-004 variants
12. Akg k514
13. Somic Efi 82mt
14. Koss porta Pro

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #104 of 294
  Saying the 681 is best under $100 is a pretty bold claim. 

Sorry, u're right, i should have added "IMO".
But, seriously, who has had the chance to listen to all under 100$ cans?
Probably too much enthousiasm on my part, but at 25$ the price/performance ratio is just massively incredible...
all I can say is that the 681 is the only cheap HP that has stood the test of time for me.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #105 of 294
Well I found the 681 evo too uncomfortable for me, I'm at the computer for 6+ hours at a time so I need something super comfy. The evo is great at its price but something less comfortable was not a option. The 558s fill my needs but obviously are 4x the price.

Oh, 669 is closed back, thats why I never heard/looked into it.

Amazon reviews (and any review on a retail site) are worthless, as you can see its highly rated but so is any headphone, thats just because 99% of people are users, NOT reviewers or enthusiasts. Meaning 99% of people dont use them in strict conditions, and they buy a single set of headphones, CPUs, power tools, whatever the item in question is, every 3-5 years, if that.

They're listening to youtube or itunes mp3s off ipods or cell phones, and dont knpw what good sound is. They compare them to the airplane headphones or stock ipod headphones, not the superlux evo or monoprice 8323, etc. So everyone gives 5 stars. Then, the 1 star reviews are always idiots, people saying things like it doesnt come with a mic, the cable isnt usb, etc. Seriously, read the negative reviews on it. Even 558s, the majority of 1-star reviews are 'it leaks sound' (derp its open).

Im not saying anything about the m40fs, Ive never heard of it (seeing as I dont care for leakage as these are literally to replace my pc speakers, I only researched open phones), but amazon, newegg, bestbuy, etc reviews mean nothing. Even beats are 5-star.

Nice list beocord, I'd like to try out the takstars one day. Never heard of the pro monitor.

All the superluxes are great under $50. I see it less as evo vs 681 and more like choose which variation you like more. Remember, the evo is only $38 while the others are a few bucks more, and not to mention the sligtly increased comfort, detachable cable, and build/aesthetics, I think it makes all of them pretty even. The sound quality isnt that different between the models, its mostly preference between the models imo.

Though I've never heard anyone say 681 over 681 evo, I hear other way around more. Or that the 681B is the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back