Superlux Express Train
Oct 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #691 of 1,352
I read somewhere that the HD681 and HD681 EVO differ only by cosmetic design. Perhaps all the added material makes them significantly heavier. The HD681 are really light to me, but I'm coming from some T50rp modded with a lb of clay and foam stuffed inside.

It looks like their headband is very simplistic. I ripped apart several headphones to make my T50rp as light as possible. My headband is made of a strip of light foam and two bare thin metal wires for clamping force. If you're the modding type, carefully pull the headphones apart and see what material you can toss out to decrease weight!

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #692 of 1,352
  I read somewhere that the HD681 and HD681 EVO differ only by cosmetic design. Perhaps all the added material makes them significantly heavier. The HD681 are really light to me, but I'm coming from some T50rp modded with a lb of clay and foam stuffed inside.

It looks like their headband is very simplistic. I ripped apart several headphones to make my T50rp as light as possible. My headband is made of a strip of light foam and two bare thin metal wires for clamping force. If you're the modding type, carefully pull the headphones apart and see what material you can toss out to decrease weight!

No, they are completely different headphone.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #693 of 1,352
Just got delivery of the 681b and 681f, already have the 668b from 6 months ago.

All are the 'classic' versions, not EVO.

First impression, and the 681's need to burn-in, is the 681b has less bass but more instrument separation and more treble 'air' than the 668b.

Going to get a pair of the classic 662's and 669's as well. First impression is that you really cannot go wrong with any of the classic 6xx line from SuperLux.

In China these cans are $16 USD / 95 Yuan on sale.

The 668b has a detachable cord, 681 does not. Ordered some AKG240 pads to replace the awful 68x pads

681 less clamping discomfort and less heat than the 668b's which hurt and are hot.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #694 of 1,352
You should try also classic 681 with red rings. Very musical & non-fatiguing (bass goes deeper & more extended than B version). And really recommend to do mk2 or mk3 filter mod + better pads - turns those cans into different beast (much better!, tightens that extended bass and removes Ssss highs). I have HD-662F and HD-681 red, both with filter/cable/pad modded and probably going to try HD-330 too. 

Btw, can anyone share impressions between filter modded HD-681 red VS. HD-330 ? Would appreciate it!

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #695 of 1,352
You should try also classic 681 with red rings. Very musical & non-fatiguing (bass goes deeper & more extended than B version). And really recommend to do mk2 or mk3 filter mod + better pads - turns those cans into different beast (much better!, tightens that extended bass and removes Ssss highs). I have HD-662F and HD-681 red, both with filter/cable/pad modded and probably going to try HD-330 too.

I tried to get the 681 red ring classic, all sold out during this holiday shopping season. Hopefully I can find a pair before the line is discontinued.

What are the mk2 and mk 3 mods? I haven't done any mods but swap out cable on my 668b for a $8 one that improved the background immensely.

Pads I have on order. AKG 2xx fit these all.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #696 of 1,352
Nov 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #697 of 1,352
Thanks for the links.

I am currently listening to the 668b with the right pad velour and thinner screen and the left stock. Definitely more detail and upper mid, but no Ssssibiliants. I wish the 681 had a plug to easily swap in a higher SQ cord, I am not that adroit with small projects and tiny detail to feel confident to snip the cord and put a 3.5mm female port in.

I did not remove the sticker, and replaced the left pad and thinner screen.

It (screen likely) did cause a bit of Ssssibilants issue on some recordings, but it also increased the air, detail and FR of the treble.

These are velour pads custom, but not OEM for the AKG. Sound is better what with the upgraded cable. Pads are such an improvement - they had to save money somewhere and the cheap-o pads were one place.

Absurdly good sound for 168Y + 41Y + 60Y for hp + cable + pads and screen.

269 rmb, 33 EUR.

I see why the Dutch headfi fora like to recommend these. With a little work, you get very good sound.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #698 of 1,352
Don`t remove that sticker! I have tested it and without it bass department loses tightness & kick. Actually changing cord is easy because drivers have another thin wires that extend and connect to cable ends. Easy to solder and dual entry is also easy to to due to already having holes for cable. If you choose right 3.5mm socket, then it`s also easy imo. Everyone don`t get bothered and can`t hear those Ssss sibilance highs but those filters don`t affect only highs, bass gets tighter and mids appear more too.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #699 of 1,352
After a week with the classic 681f, 681b and 668b, I may prefer the 681b. It has a greater soundstage, detail and midrange than the 668b, which is odd since it costs less. 681's just one of those lucky creations in audio that happen once in awhile. Even with a pad, foam and cable mod on the 668b, the 681b stock seems superior in all the areas that the 688b excels in.

681f is too thin and recessed for my tastes even on classical, romantic and baroque music. Great soundstage and high end detail though, as this entire line has across the spectrum.

Still trying to locate a classic 681 null for comparison.

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #700 of 1,352
I've been using the Fiio E11 for my 668Bs so far and it's time for an upgrade.

I was looking for a USB DAC/Amp (separate or combo) and was considering:

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi HD
or
Schiit Audio Magni and Modi

But I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. I've been using my headphones with my laptop for everything from music to gaming and A/V editing

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #701 of 1,352
You should also consider Aune T1 or ESI Juli@. Had them both and imo Aune T1 sounds much more dynamical, musical, detailed with better soundstage/separation & transparency.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #704 of 1,352
After reading about tube amps I've been slightly scared away from the idea of the Aune, But my intrigue and need to experiment may overpower that fear. 
gs1000.gif

Thanks for the recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back