Superlux Express Train
Dec 8, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #528 of 1,352
Quote:
Hi!

I would like to buy a superlux online, I can not try it, so I need your help... for music, like Caro Emerald, Ryan Star, Mumford and sons, Leonard Cohen, Tom Jones and classics. From now on, i will use it with my macbook.

Thanks

Never tried the 681, but the 668b is a good choice too

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #531 of 1,352
Alright, I just broke my 681's. I was trying to do one of the dampening mods and I must have bumped/torn a wire and not known it because now the right side stopped working. One of the wires appears to be slightly stretched and starting to tear, another white one fully disconnected but I'm not sure where it disconnected from.

I don't think I'll be able to fix it :frowning2:.  Should I buy another 681 or try something new?

A half-decent temperature controlled soldering station is an excellent investment. This one is recommended by the designer of the O2 amp. Once you have one, a lot of stuff gets fixed. Just don't use unleaded solder. 60/40 .8mm solder and some desoldering braid is all you need. Then read up soldering on random websites to get a clue. Two more tips: read up on avoiding getting zapped by capacitor discharge and never, ever fix a microwave oven.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #532 of 1,352
Quote:
A half-decent temperature controlled soldering station is an excellent investment. This one is recommended by the designer of the O2 amp. Once you have one, a lot of stuff gets fixed. Just don't use unleaded solder. 60/40 .8mm solder and some desoldering braid is all you need. Then read up soldering on random websites to get a clue. Two more tips: read up on avoiding getting zapped by capacitor discharge and never, ever fix a microwave oven.

thanks but I already replaced them with some pannies :)

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #533 of 1,352
I'm on the train 
smily_headphones1.gif

Got my HD662F three days ago. They sounded a tad harsh straight out of the box but after nine hours, I'm hearing some improvement. Definitely worth 29 euros... These are an absolute steal 
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #534 of 1,352
Hey guys, I'm new here. 

My experience with good headphones is almost nonexistant and after a whole day (literally) of reading about all the Superluxes I plan on buying one of them. 

I will be using them mainly for gaming (+ the good ol' Zalman clip-on mic), but if the quality is good enough, maybe also for electronic music production (house, trance, sometimes ambient). 

The standard black-red HD-681 are the easiest to get here in Poland. Can't find the F model which people recommend me for gaming. 
There are also HD-668b and I'm torn between those two. 

The velure pads would be kind of expensive for me, so for now I will sock-mod whatever I buy. 

My question, though, is: Wouldn't it be better to wait for the MK2 a.k.a. EVO 681s? 
The release is on January 30th, which is my birthday, so, you know... we're kinda destined for each other. 
But when will they be available in Europe? And most imporantly: what is the cost of such headphones on release? Slightly higher than the mk1, or? 

If I were to wait for it, it would be with hope that they include the filter mod, cause I am not skilled enough to do that by myself. 

@ruinevil 
Somehow I knew I'd find someone from Reddit here... :d 
Hello

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #536 of 1,352
I'm experiencing slight imbalance between the drivers... The right side seems to be louder, especially in the range of about 30-150hz. It's definitely not my ears, because other headphones sound perfectly balanced and the problem occurs no matter the source I'm using.
I guess I'll wait till the 30th of January or whenever the evos are available at Thomann
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #537 of 1,352
ProudRambo,

in terms of music, not gaming.........

The HD681F is seriously lacking in bass. You need to be sure you can compensate for this with decent equalisation. Still, you may be happy enough anyway partly due to your lack of experience. The bass may seem 'just fine'. However, it's a gamble. The vanilla HD681 has excellent bass and just needs some toilet tissue to reduce the treble. Sometimes I find the HD681 bass too strong.

You could boost the bass for the HD681F but Ipods and Windows Media player have poor equalisation that distorts the audio quite badly (personal experience).

There is a big advantage to the HD681F: it doesn't have the massive treble spikes of the the vanilla HD681; it's much flatter overall. The vanilla HD681 with a bit of toilet paper (which reduces the treble; no filter mod needed) is good, but not Hifi. the HD681F with a bit of toilet paper is nearly hifi. Sensational. It's not ultra-flat like etymotics, but it is respectable. (I have all these headphones). When I say flat, I mean I test with sine waves using a tone generator.

In the meantime....

Vista/Win7 has a very superiour, non-distorting bass-boost as part of the standard audio driver. Bass-boost the HD681F and add that bit of toilet paper and you are set for near-HIFI audio for no money. Right-click the audio icon (bottom right corner) -> Playback Devices - > double-click your audio device -> Enhancements -> frequency =50 boost =12db. That's a big boost, but I have tested this with my O2/ODAC and there is no (obvious) distortion on the HD681F caused by this bass boost (playing a 50Hz sine wav file). Lowest bass is cut out by this but the HD681s have hardly any lower bass anyway. You have to pay serious money for phones that can do serious 20-40HZ bass so forget about that for now. (make sure the bass-boost is available; some audio devices do not support extra features).

As a side note: Sansa Clip+ equalisation is quite good. Better than Ipod. I haven't tested it thoroughly however. Maybe not 12 decibels good.

So, to conclude: if you intend to use these phones more generally, like ipods and non-windows computers, then HD681 is safer. If you have a Sansa clip, clip+ or clipzip, and/or use win Vista+ computer then the HD681F is a great option. If you are a hifi devotee then also maybe think about HD681F.

However....... :)

If you have a rockboxed player, like the clip+ with rockbox, and this will likely be your main player, then you can use the sophisticated parametric equalizer of rockbox to iron out the spikes in the HD681 and get near HIFI with that also (plus more flexible as it is good to go with ipods etc). The rockbox equaliser settings for the HD681 are -8db 8000Hz q=1.4, -8db 12300Hz q=2.4 and set treble to -4. Those settings are not good for the HD681F.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #538 of 1,352
I had the 681F before, it was the only headphones I actually gave away. Does it worth the price? I think so. Is it good? For the price it is not bad. I think even for PC use or game is not too bad either. I just cannot stand the treble spike, it is not that I prefer dark sound because coming from a long time user of MS1i and MS2i I have listened to bright headphones and I do not mind forward sound at all. I actually find that they are comfortable and have no problem with the earbud even I live in the tropic. 681F is not bright and quite lay back, I just cannot listen to the 681F for long...sudden spike in the treble is unbearable for me.

They are just OK, nothing special or extraordinary. Of course, audio is like wine and women very subjective 
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #539 of 1,352
Thanks a lot for the response guys. 

After more research and asking around I will propably end up buying HD668b :D 
I just like the idea of clear, precise, analytical sound. I might actually use them for music production as well. 

I'll sock-mod them (velour pads would cost me as much as the headphones...), burn them in and do something about the wings before I actually use them. 

I'm also gonna buy IEM SoundMagic PL30 for out-door usage and the Zalman clip mic for gaming, 
but I need to wait till second week of January for one store to get the HD668b's so I can order everything at once, 
cause no other store has all the things I want to buy at the same time ._. (I'm from Poland so no Amazon or such here) 

And god damnit, guys, all the researching is making me buy a Sansa Clip+ too ;d 

Anyway, hopping on the Superlux train in 2 weeks!

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #540 of 1,352
I have the PL30s also!!! :)

However, a new kid on the block has arrived that is much cheaper than the PL30 and has better audio and better isolation. That's the philips range of 'color' IEMs. The one I have is the SHE3582. There were threads discussing this range. The PL30 has the advantage of extraordinary durability. But the philips are so cheap that you can buy 3 for the price of a single PL30. And their audio is better.

The PL30 has a shouty spike around 850Hz of about 8db. That's a lot. It also has no treble. On my rockboxed clip+ I had to put the treble up by 17db!!!!!!! Compared to the philips, the sound of my (fully equalized) PL30 is 'grainy'.

The philips have the opposite issue: they need the bass and treble attenuating. Of course with a clip+ there's no trouble there. the 2nd philips I got has a slight audio issue in one ear. I suspect that they are not as well made as the PL30s.

Unequalized the PL30 will sound lacking in treble compared to the Superluxes. The Philips are similar in many respects to the Superluxes and a better match.

By the way, did you see the equalisation thread? Following that thread turned my PL30s from good to what I thought of as incredible. Plus with rockbox you can switch between equalised and non-equalised in an instant, and immediately hear the huge difference. Before was like the band is playing in cardboard box. Since then I would not even dream of not equalising. Purests who shun equalisation are costing themselves a lot of money for no reason. All music is produced with equalisation, so it really is just a question of finding a good quality equaliser which, like pro mixing equalisation, has no disturbing effect on the audio. Clip+ with rockbox has that, and also it uses no extra battery.

If the equalised PL30 was incredible, you can imagine the philips is out of this world. Equalised it is competing with my etymotics HF2. However the etymotics have ultra-flat frequency range while the philips does not, so there is still more detail from the etymotics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back