Superlux Express Train
Jun 24, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #166 of 1,352
Hi!

HD681B
HD660
HD651 white
HD668B

Test heard the first 2 ones so far and they are a blast I must admit. The HD660 is now the headphones I use in the office and I listened the last 3 days on it. It is an amazing headphone. Again, looks and quality to the touch leaves lots to be desired but sound quality is mindboggling at this price range.

Have yet to test the remaining 2, will report back!
cheers,
K

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #170 of 1,352

Quote:
They do ship to the UK but it costs 10GBP. You could email www.feedback.nl and ask if they'll ship to the UK. The Superluxes are much cheaper there than Thomann.

Quote:
Are there any "basshead" Superluxes? Besides the HD651 that is.

The frequence responce for some models is on the superlux site, the hd681 look like the bassyist followed by the hd662.

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #173 of 1,352
Surprised again ... how does the other studio monitors compare?  A friend of ours Kamaal Malak (Arrested  Development) ...  was having a quiet celebration... the wife cooked a nice meal, and as a gift i brought the Superlux HD-662F,  Kamaal plugged them in (loud) to compare side by side to a pair of Sony MDR-V600 and the difference was mind blowing the Sony V600 was bright harsh the music sounded like it was pored into a blender at high speed, no definition at that volume, and the HD-662F was smooth pleasant and every note and instrument could be deciphered from extreme low to pleasant highs...  unbelievable difference, I have a pair of 7506 they have been a studio standard but are bright like the 681 but the bass is week in comparison to the huge bass of the bright 681, but by far the HD-662F is am amazing monitoring headphone... from critical listening, live tracking to enjoyment... very hard to beat with-out deep pockets.  (hope to share Steve Rothermel http://www.stereomojo.com/SasonReview.htm mod on his HD-668B soon and hope to try it myself...  No filtering caps or resisters) ... Cheers Doyen Keaton aUdiOhiPsteR

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #174 of 1,352
I just got my pair of HD681s yesterday, and after a few hours of listening directly from my iPod 4g, I think I really need to get a portable amp for them (looking at FiiO E5) as it really seems like they need to be amped to reach their full potential. Running them straight from my iPod it seems the treble is nice and clear and the mids are great, but the bass is surprisingly lacking. I have a Pioneer stereo receiver, and when I plug my headphones into that the bass comes out and really goes crazy. Now, my question is; will burning in these headphones bring the bass out more so I might not need an amp, or should I just go ahead and grab the E5?

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #175 of 1,352

Quote:
I just got my pair of HD681s yesterday, and after a few hours of listening directly from my iPod 4g, I think I really need to get a portable amp for them (looking at FiiO E5) as it really seems like they need to be amped to reach their full potential. Running them straight from my iPod it seems the treble is nice and clear and the mids are great, but the bass is surprisingly lacking. I have a Pioneer stereo receiver, and when I plug my headphones into that the bass comes out and really goes crazy. Now, my question is; will burning in these headphones bring the bass out more so I might not need an amp, or should I just go ahead and grab the E5?

I don't think the bass has changed on my HD681 after 1 year. I actually think the bass is quite good on them. In my experience they don't scale well with more power, they're 32ohm after all. I've tried them on 3 amps, including the Lyr, and they sound their best of my DAC's build in amp. It's a great headphone for sure. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #176 of 1,352
I joined the Superlux train sometime late last year. It made me realise that I had been spending so much $$$ chasing incremental upgrades (sorry about your wallet, I know).

So I sold my sold my HD800 and K1000. And kept the Superlux. I was using cans that cost more than 20 times the price of the Superlux that didn't sound 20 times better. So I used the money to go on a holiday.

The Superlux pads make my ears sweat like mad but I refuse to buy pads which cost half the price of these cans!

Can Superlux release some proper ear pads please?

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #178 of 1,352

Quote:
I joined the Superlux train sometime late last year. It made me realise that I had been spending so much $$$ chasing incremental upgrades (sorry about your wallet, I know).

So I sold my sold my HD800 and K1000. And kept the Superlux. I was using cans that cost more than 20 times the price of the Superlux that didn't sound 20 times better. So I used the money to go on a holiday.

The Superlux pads make my ears sweat like mad but I refuse to buy pads which cost half the price of these cans!

Can Superlux release some proper ear pads please?

If you could afford HD800 and K1000 you should be able to afford new pads for the Superlux :) Seriously, new velour pads are worth it, far more comfortable than that vinyl material. 

Jul 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #179 of 1,352
Anyone know where to get the velour pads here in Canada? I have a PO box in the US also if anyone knows a place that ships to PO boxes in the US also. I reallly want to swap out these earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back