Superlux Express Train
Jun 6, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #136 of 1,352
 I don't know how I have held off so long on Superlux. So clean and new, fancy boxes, the thrill of the mailbox wait, it's painful holding off. Have my eye on the 662F, the HD381 iem's and the 668B. This is hard. I haven't even got my  Stax sr-5 in the mail yet and I have 3 things in a checkout as I type.  ( where's the little wallet with flying money emoticon/smiley? )

Wanted to clear something up about the 330, 440 and 660 models. Not sure how accurate it is.

I ran across these comments from others when following from an earlier link ( italics mine ):

The HD-660, 330 & 440 are the Older Tenlux manufactured headphones, I liked my HD-660 but you always have to press them to your ears to hear the beauty of them and that is just to much work, for us with a non godzilla head, and after receiving the HD-662F in the studio… it not only blows the 660 away in sound but the isolation and contort and fit along with the thick pads, will make the HD-662F a studio standard. I see no use to consider the older models… (i sold all my old stock and used ones on eBay) when you have the like’s of the much better isolation and sound of the Closed Ear HD-662F, also try the darker HD-669 sure to please bass freaks. Doyen AudioHipster

and a follow up regarding the pad fit:

i did not say you had to press the 660 to your ears for sound to work… but does not fit tight against my ears, and have to press them to hear the lovely low end the can exhibits… and I have went thru more cans in the studio and artists have brought there own high dollar cans in, to track with… and with drummers they need to hear… when i ask them to take their 660 or whatever fancy brand they are using off and try the HD-662F they smile and stop complaining.

also

1. Anonymous
    Yes the 660, 330 & 440 are earlier model’s and have 40mm driversthe newer designed 662, 681, 668B, & 669 have 50mm drivers and not only fit your ears better , the closed ear models have much better isolation … 50mm drivers just sound better. and I prefer the HD-662F over the older designs… no contest!

jeeze PAW Music is a short ferry trip from where I live.... I can stop by my uncles on the way home and try them out on his disgustingly nice tube setup (s)

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #137 of 1,352
Do note that all those comments are from the same author. He shills the HD662F everywhere. Probably because he actually sells Superluxes online. I'd take the impressions with a grain of salt.  :) 

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #138 of 1,352

Quote:
Do note that all those comments are from the same author. He shills the HD662F everywhere. Probably because he actually sells Superluxes online. I'd take the impressions with a grain of salt.  :) 

Good point. I've reviewed the phones and like them a lot. After the review I've listened them more and I think they have a bit recessed mids but are otherwise excellent phones. Might be that I'm too used to ATH-m50 sound (bassy, warm) that I used before.

I'm eager to hear other peoples opinion about them.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #139 of 1,352
I have the Superlux HD668b, HD662, HD669, HD651 and HD381 (don't ask) and am planning a huge Superlux comparison review here on Head-Fi. Might be interesting for you to contribute to. :) 

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #140 of 1,352
Certainly - I might not have the best Golden Ear™ but I'll do my best :) 

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #141 of 1,352
I did a review a few weeks ago :) the Superluxes definitely are the most bang for buck headphones, with each variant having different genre preferences. The HD668B is considered to be the balanced and versatile one among the HD6xx lineup.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #144 of 1,352
I have a full burn-in 668B and i have just buy another one. It's so strange that the no burn-in 668B have smoother sound, the treble is not harsh as the old one. And i don't understand why everyone said that 668B have little bass? All my two 668B have great bass quantity, it even have more bass than the SR850 which is considered to have the same amount of bass as the Denon D2000. And the bass is tight, deep, extend, very great. Absolutely an amazing can for the money.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #145 of 1,352

Quote:
Do note that all those comments are from the same author. He shills the HD662F everywhere. Probably because he actually sells Superluxes online. I'd take the impressions with a grain of salt.  :) ....and HD381 (don't ask)....

It wasn't so much that as to clarify the 330, 440, 660 models and their driver sizes as being older /previous to the newer lineup. I assume they are then?

I heard that the HD381's were actually quite decent, aside from their lower quality construction.

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #147 of 1,352
Hi!

I just ordered the 668B, 681B and 660.

I am planning to gift a few not-yet-audiophiles with 2 of these and keep one for myself, depending which one I like most :wink:

Am happy to help with the comparison as soon as they arrive.

All the best,
K

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #148 of 1,352

Quote:
It wasn't so much that as to clarify the 330, 440, 660 models and their driver sizes as being older /previous to the newer lineup. I assume they are then?

I heard that the HD381's were actually quite decent, aside from their lower quality construction.

Funny this came up. I've been thinking of doing the 681 filter mod for awhile and I just checked out Paw Music and they newly list those three headphones. 

http://www.pawmusic.com/collections/headphones

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #150 of 1,352
Quote:

Obviously everyone comes at things from their own perspective and it's true that Doyen (Mr. Audiohipster) sells these headphones and so has an interest in their popularity.

That having been said, I have bought several headphones from Doyen and he strikes me as both sincere and honest fellow, and as a very nice guy.  He mistakenly packed the wrong item in one order, and he bent over backwards to make things right.  There's nothing wrong with taking reviews with a grain of salt, but I think that it's a bit unfair to conclude that he is dishonestly hyping a product he sells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back