suggest me a good mid forward amp( sub 170$)
Sep 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sylaw

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys :) im having lots of iem's in my collection yet I don't use them most of the time. only pairs I use are the mighty W4's , IE80's ER4's and EX1000's. and I kind of prefer a pretty mid emphasized signature. So the reason I wanna buy e Mid forward amp is that my IE80's mid range seems pretty distanced compare to rest of my collection :/ but I love them a lot cuz of there excellent soundstage and its atmospheric sound texture .  I use the 80's all the time when im outside too. So im kinda missing that amazing mids of all the other iem's  Offer.. so if you guy can suggest me a pretty good mid forward amp that I can use ( around 170$) , I  really appreciate it ...

My audio device would be e  Ipod classic 160GB 7th gen :)

thanks alot

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 11
any one to help? :/

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 11
My two cents.
The Fiio E11, $60, should be more then enough to drive IEMs.
Get the Fiio L cable, connect the iPod's LOD port to the line-in port on the E11.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 11
  c421 (depending on opamp)  c5 has a slight mid forward bump. but not overly mid forward. ive had those 2 with the w4r and i liked them. for the price

Mooses: C5 has perfectly flat response. It's c421 which has a bump, due to high output impedance.

Here's C5's response as measured on the dScope:

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 11
  My two cents.
The Fiio E11, $60, should be more then enough to drive IEMs.
Get the Fiio L cable, connect the iPod's LOD port to the line-in port on the E11.

nah fio seems not a very reliable option.. its not about driving the iem so badly.. I just need more of e mid flavor in my IE80's that's all.. Fiio's eq is kinda bad from what I heard..

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 11
so it seems at least for now the JDSL C421 has a small amount of mids than the rest?  what about the Ibasso Boa+D2 amp? its exactly 170$? are they mid forward sounding??

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 11
  so it seems at least for now the JDSL C421 has a small amount of mids than the rest?  what about the Ibasso Boa+D2 amp? its exactly 170$? are they mid forward sounding??

I wouldn't say that. c421 had slight bass rolloff due to large AC coupling and it was discontinued because of its high output impedance, meaning it produced different results with different headphones. Frequency response was slightly unpredictable for headphones below ~88 ohms. Thus, you'll find mixed reviews of c421. Some people loved the effect; others ultimately sought different headphones or a different amp. I'd suggest C5, but you're not seeking natural response.

Honestly, you might want to start with Rockbox on your iPod. Any good amp will improve noise, distortion, and power without manipulating frequency response, so you'll have an easier time achieving your goal with Rockbox's EQ.

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 11
If it's not so much about driving the IEMs, how about this as an option?

Source:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/399487/ipod-custom-eq-yes-it-can-be-done#post_5266331

How to Get Custom EQ Setting Transferred from iTunes to Your iPod

The definitive answer from Apple:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In iTunes, select Window->Equalizer (EQ window pops up)

- Twiddle the slider bars to your heart's content (in EQ pop-up window)
The Menu Bar will now say "Manual"

- Select "Make Preset"
(click/hold on "Manual" and scroll up to top)

- Then, type in a name for your custom EQ setting
that is exactly the same as one of the factory preset names
(e.g. Rock)

iTunes will come back and say:
"A preset with this name already exists. Do you want to replace it?"

- CLICK YES!

- On your iPod, go to Settings / Playback / EQ, and select "Rock".

- Sync your iPod

Ta Da!

- Your new custom EQ setting (with a factory EQ name) will now be operative on your iPod.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 11
  If it's not so much about driving the IEMs, how about this as an option?

Source:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/399487/ipod-custom-eq-yes-it-can-be-done#post_5266331

How to Get Custom EQ Setting Transferred from iTunes to Your iPod

The definitive answer from Apple:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In iTunes, select Window->Equalizer (EQ window pops up)

- Twiddle the slider bars to your heart's content (in EQ pop-up window)
The Menu Bar will now say "Manual"

- Select "Make Preset"
(click/hold on "Manual" and scroll up to top)

- Then, type in a name for your custom EQ setting
that is exactly the same as one of the factory preset names
(e.g. Rock)

iTunes will come back and say:
"A preset with this name already exists. Do you want to replace it?"

- CLICK YES!

- On your iPod, go to Settings / Playback / EQ, and select "Rock".

- Sync your iPod

Ta Da!

- Your new custom EQ setting (with a factory EQ name) will now be operative on your iPod.

I tried this and ... uh it sounded utterly exaggerated and pretty distorted . -_-   . Do u think rock boxing e ipod classic 7G is stable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back