stuck between sony x series, j3 and s:flo2
Jul 15, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #16 of 61
What's the difference between the X series and A series?

If the X and A have the same sound doesn't it make sense to just buy the cheaper 32gb non-touchscreen A840

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #17 of 61
My advice:
1. Sell your alo rx. You will get 350$ or more.
2. Sell your cable connecting clip+ with alo rx.
3. Sell your hfi-780 and shure iems.
You will have about 600-700$ extra.
Add the 150-300$ your going to spend on sflo2/j3/x1050/a845
So, now you got around 900$.
Add(lent or add from your budget or so) 150$
Then you got around 1000-1100$.
order JH13 for 925$ - there is a promotion till the end of July
or order a Earsonics Em3pro - thats 750Eur
Get impressions from your local audiologist and sent them the impressions.
Install rockbox on your clip.
Wait 1 month for your customs.

Result: High-end portable rig, universal for all genres, easy to carry in a small case, 70% better sounding rig over your actuall rig and actually worth the money youre going to spend.

Trust me, ive tested UM customized westone 3, universal westone 3, universal westone um3x with imod, clip+, ihp140, iphone 3g, nano 2g, nano 5g with Protector SE(not balanced, but heard that balanced make protector 80% better than in se mode, but I havent heard that) and with pico slim, with scscag lineout cables like LOD and Jack-jack. To see that im not bull shiting, see my public profile album, you can see there that ive had all that staff at the same time to test it critically.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #18 of 61
Violinvirtuoso: loseless and compressed/uncompressed cant be used at the same time. Looseless means uncompressed, no matter what kind of audio codec it is, its uncompressed by its nature.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #19 of 61

Quote:
Violinvirtuoso: loseless and compressed/uncompressed cant be used at the same time. Looseless means uncompressed, no matter what kind of audio codec it is, its uncompressed by its nature.

Thats not true.  FLAC and all lossless IS compressed!  It simply preserves all data in the compression.  MP3 is 'Lossy' compression where data is lost.  FLAC is 'Lossless' compression.

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 61
Maybe Im wrong.... <lol>
I were lost in what Violinvirtuoso had post. Un/compressed/flac/wav make me thinking something is wrong in what he's saying.

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #21 of 61
I'm using the S:Flo2/RX/HFI780 combo and I couldn't be happier. The S:Flo2 gives the HFIs a more spacious, airy, smoother sound which improves with the RX. I can't see myself replacing this dap combo anytime soon.

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #22 of 61
Quote:
Thats not true.  FLAC and all lossless IS compressed!  It simply preserves all data in the compression.  MP3 is 'Lossy' compression where data is lost.  FLAC is 'Lossless' compression.

A bit anal, but true.

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #23 of 61
In answer to the mini digression, I got a cardas for 20  on ebay, but see if u can find one by ultralink.

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #24 of 61

Quote:
My $0.02:

Sony X Series:

Pros:
Decent Sound Quality (through HO, worst of 3, IMO)
Very Polished UI
Supports Uncompressed Lossless (WAV)
Line Out Dock Available

Cons:
Doesn't Support Compressed Lossless (ALAC, FLAC, etc.)
Unpolished Browser
No Expandable Memory Slot
LOD is expensive

Cowon J3

Pros:
Decent UI (better than S:Flo 2, worse than Sony X)
Great Sound Quality (better than Sony X, worse than S:Flo 2, IMO)
Supports Wide Range of Formats (wav, FLAC, etc.)
Legendary Battery Life (over 60 hours audio)
Expandable Memory Slot

Cons:
No Line Out

S:Flo 2

Pros:
Best Sound Quality
Line Out (just use a mini to mini)
Expandable Memory Slot
Supports Wide Range of Formats (WAV, FLAC, etc.)

Cons:
Battery Life (8-12 Hours)
Stable but annoying UI

thanks a lot virtuoso this helps me lean towards the sflo another pro you forgot was price also

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #25 of 61

Quote:
In answer to the mini digression, I got a cardas for 20  on ebay, but see if u can find one by ultralink.

Ultralink huh, thx.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #26 of 61

Quote:
My advice:
1. Sell your alo rx. You will get 350$ or more.
2. Sell your cable connecting clip+ with alo rx.
3. Sell your hfi-780 and shure iems.
You will have about 600-700$ extra.
Add the 150-300$ your going to spend on sflo2/j3/x1050/a845
So, now you got around 900$.
Add(lent or add from your budget or so) 150$
Then you got around 1000-1100$.
order JH13 for 925$ - there is a promotion till the end of July
or order a Earsonics Em3pro - thats 750Eur
Get impressions from your local audiologist and sent them the impressions.
Install rockbox on your clip.
Wait 1 month for your customs.

Result: High-end portable rig, universal for all genres, easy to carry in a small case, 70% better sounding rig over your actuall rig and actually worth the money youre going to spend.

Trust me, ive tested UM customized westone 3, universal westone 3, universal westone um3x with imod, clip+, ihp140, iphone 3g, nano 2g, nano 5g with Protector SE(not balanced, but heard that balanced make protector 80% better than in se mode, but I havent heard that) and with pico slim, with scscag lineout cables like LOD and Jack-jack. To see that im not bull shiting, see my public profile album, you can see there that ive had all that staff at the same time to test it critically.

that doesnt sound like a bad idea but i dont think i can get 350 for the rx, it is brand new less than a month old,  if i did sell all my equipment it would be past july

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #27 of 61

Quote:

that doesnt sound like a bad idea but i dont think i can get 350 for the rx, it is brand new less than a month old,  if i did sell all my equipment it would be past july

If you are considering headphones, you should take the Earsonics SM3 a look. It is now possible to the SM3 for under $320. That is an excellent price. There are comparisons between the SM3 and the HD800, JH13, and T1. You can always get custom tips or a custom remold for the SM3.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #28 of 61

Quote:
If you are considering headphones, you should take the Earsonics SM3 a look. It is now possible to the SM3 for under $320. That is an excellent price. There are comparisons between the SM3 and the HD800, JH13, and T1. You can always get custom tips or a custom remold for the SM3.

i am trying to get new iems but for trance and bass which is what i  like. i read  that the ck10s are good, i was gonna have fisher hearing make customs for me

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #29 of 61
If you want an experience similar to pulling hair off your balls, get an s:flo2. Seriously, only consider s:flo2 if you can blind yourself to everything but the SQ. 

If the s:flo2 (and clip+ to a lesser extent) has thought me anything, usability is just as important as SQ for a DAP. There's no point to have great SQ if you're gonna throw the DAP out of the window out of frustration. 

Personally I finally settled on an iPod 5G with Rockbox. Best combination of excellent UI, great SQ with support for FLAC and no iTunes :)

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #30 of 61

Quote:
If you want an experience similar to pulling hair off your balls, get an s:flo2. Seriously, only consider s:flo2 if you can blind yourself to everything but the SQ. 

If the s:flo2 (and clip+ to a lesser extent) has thought me anything, usability is just as important as SQ for a DAP. There's no point to have great SQ if you're gonna throw the DAP out of the window out of frustration. 

Personally I finally settled on an iPod 5G with Rockbox. Best combination of excellent UI, great SQ with support for FLAC and no iTunes :)

Sound like a Mac user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back