stuck between sony x series, j3 and s:flo2
Jul 27, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #46 of 61
I love folders. Tag management is a bit of a pain, with folders I can make what catagories I want, whatever my wierd and twisted mind tells me.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #48 of 61

Quote:
I had 2.2 on it, which at the time was the latest. I thought it was a nice player, but I grew way too impatient finding tracks. In the end, if you just hit play it was okay, but for sure a small capacity player, even with the card, I found myself not using it because of what I found to be a clunky UI. Again, I was an early supporter, or semi-early, but eventually, the UI just wore me down. I have a few other friends who feel the same either sold their or are selling it. In the interim, I gave the ZuneHD a shot, and the SQ has impressed me. So it's all good. I have two strong players in the ZuneHD and the 3G Touch, plus a Clip, Zune89, a Rocoo, a Studio I and a Fuze, so nothing to complain about. I just don't care much for generalizations. 

Did you try finding music by using ID3 tags? I see GeorgeGoodman did/does that. I tried it at first, but it was rather annoying. Now I have all my music stored in folders. The S:Flo 2's interface for finding music through folders seems decent to me.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #49 of 61

Quote:
I love folders. Tag management is a bit of a pain, with folders I can make what catagories I want, whatever my wierd and twisted mind tells me.

I love using folder management too. It makes using the S:Flo 2 a ton easier. However, it sucks when I try to use folders on an Apple product. It automatically sorts by ID3 tags.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #50 of 61
When I had it, I basically just created a bunch of folders as playlists, naming them by genre or something else. Then I just chose the folder, used random/shuffle, and hit play. But no matter, the SF2 is off somewhere else now. With the Touch, folder view is a non-issue. Same with the ZuneHD.

Quote:

Did you try finding music by using ID3 tags? I see GeorgeGoodman did/does that. I tried it at first, but it was rather annoying. Now I have all my music stored in folders. The S:Flo 2's interface for finding music through folders seems decent to me.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #51 of 61
i don't really have the pacience to read all things, but here is my opinion, which made happy all humans around me....

if you want a gaming device, go for ipod, but is not that good at music....

if you want a stupid overpriced player go with the sony(they are very overpriced)....

if you want a player, that is no better than cowon j3, neither sq or ui, but it has even worse batterry, go with the sflo

if you want a player that is only for music and videos, with the best batterry from all mentioned, which can get flac uncompressed quality, and lots of special effects to your ears, go with the cowon j3....

cowon j3 has the most natural sounding eq presets, which mean that they sound like an imbuded original song, not like an totally different song.... 

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #52 of 61

Quote:
i don't really have the pacience to read all things, but here is my opinion, which made happy all humans around me....

Wrong....especially if you add the Equ or Equalizer apps, which are cheap!

if you want a stupid overpriced player go with the sony(they are very overpriced)....

if you want a player, that is no better than cowon j3, neither sq or ui, but it has even worse batterry, go with the sflo

if you want a player that is only for music and videos, with the best batterry from all mentioned, which can get flac uncompressed quality, and lots of special effects to your ears, go with the cowon j3....
FLAC is compressed.
wink.gif

cowon j3 has the most natural sounding eq presets, which mean that they sound like an imbuded original song, not like an totally different song.... 
Some of the Cowon presets sound great, but some of them sound very unnatural.

o2smile.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #53 of 61
first, flac is the most uncompressed thing that you can get in a pc... at least read something before you write....

yes, indeed it has only about half of the CD size but the same quality....

flac are meant to be the most uncompressed things.... and J3 is Da best for flacs.... ipod cannot recognize them if they are not apple lossles....

second, i never said that ipod isn;t great, but for music,.... it is doesn;t beat j3, because of the thing that j3 has analog equalizer, and better baterry.... by a long way....
i enjoy ipod and iphone but for gaming.... and i mean gaming is the best.....

and Cowon presets are not that great, excepting bbe, maestro and crystal clear, but you can set an 4 eqs by your licking....

this makes iems like senn ie8 sound a lot more better than any device i tested them with....

never overestimate apple, it's pretty hard to use itunes, at least for a begginer, and expensive....
why to buy new apps and everything, when another device has already them on it?...

again, for games ipod is great, the best, being followed by samsung galaxy s i9000

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #55 of 61
Why do You forget about Cowon S9?
Yeah, it is older model than J3, but they sounds very similar and players are big blood brothers:)
Only sound, plastic wrap, ui, slot etc is another.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #56 of 61

Quote:

skerry - beg to differ.  I don't have experience with the J3 - but I do have an iAudio7 - so am familiar with Cowon's SQ and excellent EQ ability.  IMO, there is no doubt that the Cowon's do a fantastic job.  However I recently acquired a 4th G Touch and it totally changed my previous thoughts on the iPod.  The SQ is really good - even through the H/O (to my ears).  Using a LOD + amp has made it even better.  Now with apps like Equalizer, I also have the ability to use manual EQ if I need it - and the app is not expensive (USD $4-5) with free updates.

I've seen your various posts expounding the J3 over all other DAPs.  I'll have to wait until I try it.  But the iPod Touch 4th Gen IMO is very good at music.

As other posters have said - FLAC is compressed lossless (so is ALAC).  WAV is uncompressed.

For me, iTunes is not ideal, but it is ridiculously easy to use.  And it's free - so not sure of the comment on expensive.  If you're referring to the apps - I have EQU and Equalizer - less than USD 10.00 for both of them ........

Finally - your comment on FLAC - again there is apparently an app that you can use for the Touch which will allow you to play FLAC.  Personally haven't tried it - I find ALAC meets my needs admirably.

Hope this clarifies situation. 

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #57 of 61
so, i was wrong only about the fuxing flac and wav.... but the rest, cowon can beat apple for music, as apple beats cowon for games.... and again, j3 is a music player, with the greattest battery life.... ipod offers these but for a totally another price....

and as sound quality, cowon j3 is close to line out + amplifier of the ipod..... sometimes, in some circumstances is better.... and for the price they cannot be compared....

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #58 of 61

Quote:
so, i was wrong only about the fuxing flac and wav.... but the rest, cowon can beat apple for music, as apple beats cowon for games.... and again, j3 is a music player, with the greattest battery life.... ipod offers these but for a totally another price....

and as sound quality, cowon j3 is close to line out + amplifier of the ipod..... sometimes, in some circumstances is better.... and for the price they cannot be compared....

As we've been trying to say, the J3 and the Touch 4G are equal in this regard, with the advent of those two EQ apps being available on the Touch. I've been told by those who've had both to compare that my i9 sounds just like the J3....and the i9 is dead even with my Touch (headphone-out only, I have no LOD).  I'll grant you that the J3's battery life is greater, but the Touch's is pretty darned good too. Also, for the price they can certainly be compared....32GB Touch 4G, $275....32GB J3, $280 (both Amazon.com prices). Figure in the cost of the EQ apps and the prices are just about equal.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #59 of 61
you are meaning the price in america.... sorry.... in my country the cowon j3 32 gb is about 280$, and touch 4G 32 gb is about 600$ - 800$....

yes, indeed if they can be compared as price, ipod is a great gadget, but i can assure you, i9 and j3 not sound so similar, j3 has more juice, is louder, clearer and has much more space...., at least in my head....

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #60 of 61
my 0.02$ :

Cowon J3 is a nice sounding DAP, but not that great at powering all kind of earphones, not to mention headphones. 

It could not bring adequate bass out of my Head Direct Re0-s (64ohm, 100db), even after EQ tweaking. With Igrado and PX100 - no problems, totally satisfied, but not that case with RE0's. 

Teclast T51 (S:flo), on the other hand, pushed RE0-s talents till the last drop. It was the only portable device i've tested, to bring out the real bass from RE0, and it also upgraded considerably detail and space projection. The sound became bigger and much fuller, but also, a little sibilant.

Only after listening S:flo -> RE0 combo, I had  finally realized, why are these RE0's that popular among Head-FI-ers.. 

Now let me conclude.  S:Flo2 sounds better then Sony or Cowon's J3, and it has an AMP, capable of powering any single earphone. The major problem, however, remains the battery live
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back