Stepping down from my K1000s... Way down
Feb 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Hybrys

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I haven't posted here in a while, but I came back to sell my K1000s and to get a new pair of headphones, as I'm in a little bit of a squeeze.  And I DEFINITELY need to find a replacement for my 'value level' cans.  (Currently using a pair of Senn PC151s as my portable/backup cans)

The setup:

Mobo RCA output --> Buffalo24 --> Schiit Valhalla --> cans

The cashflow:

I could probably muster $250 post K1000 sale.  Looking for some ideas in that range.  I'm also in Canada, so Canadian retailers, or people in the FS forums that would ship to Canada is a must.

The sound:

Well, I listen to lot of different stuff.  Mostly poppunk or alternative (Cute Is What We Aim For, Interpol, Mutemath).  Some electronica, and some melodic or heavy metal (MGMT, Nightwish, Iron Maiden, etc.)  I'm well aware I'm going to be taking a big hit from the sound of the K1000, but I'm looking to take as little a hit as possible.  Mids are very important, then highs, then bass.  Soundstage is less important, although I have been SPOILED...

My own ideas:

I've been around a while, and know my way around headphones a fair bit.  I'm also a live sound technician, so I'm not necessarily looking for perfect sound, but something that sounds great, and gets people movin'.

Cans I've been interested in:

Fostex T50RPv2 - Ortho.  Reviewed to be sweet in the mids, but semi-closed for decent bass.  Getting my hands on a pair in Canada is painful.
M50s - Why are they back in the spotlight again?  I liked the SRH-440s vs them.
SRH840s - Is there really that much of an improvement over the 440s?
Creative Auruna Live! - Totally spelled that wrong, I'm sure.  They're on sale until... The day after tomorrow.  $70 is kinda cheap.
DT880s - I have the amp to drive the 600ohms, and I've heard a lot of good around them...  I'm definitely curious.

Anyone else have some suggestions, or pokes in the direction of phones I have listed now?

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 36
I would add the K701 to your list, I would describe my pair as having nice crunchy mids, very detailed highs, and punchy/deep (but not very impactful/present) bass. I've never heard the K1000, though, so i'm not completely sure if that's what you're looking for.

The DT880 would be a good choice, except that the mids are relatively withdrawn compared to treble and bass. It's not V-shaped, just... not really *there*.

The T50RP might also be a good choice, but when I heard them stock i didn't really like their tone. Their overall balance was great, however, and my pseudo-Thunderpants (Darthpants, by Vaughn) sound pretty awesome. They definitely have upwards potential if you like to tinker and DIY.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 36
Do you happen to know some of the common modifications for the T50RP?  I know it's been modded by a few people, and I'm wondering if I might be able to do it myself.  (I do have access to a pretty big shop.)  I saw the woodied T50RPs (Thunderpants) but don't know what else was involved.

Also, I'm not really looking for a K1000 clone... It's been fun with it, but it's time to try something new.  It would also be unfair to ask for a K1000 clone, on a lesser amp, and costing only $250.  >_>

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 36

Quote:
I would add the K701 to your list, I would describe my pair as having nice crunchy mids, very detailed highs, and punchy/deep (but not very impactful/present) bass. I've never heard the K1000, though, so i'm not completely sure if that's what you're looking for.

The K70X are great alternative to the K-1000. With better resolution, more bass and treble, and about the same sound stage. Just keep in mind you'll need a good SS amp.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 36
Someone reported that the ATH-AD900 is now available from Amazon - I believe they have been a bit scarce for some years in the North America. I've only had mine for about a month, but they are one of the few large headphones I have owned which sounded good straight out of the box. Dont believe any of the hooha about them 'lacking bass' - they have a very balanced sound with a sweet treble, great instrument separation and quite a large soundstage.

$200 - looks like you will have money left over for beer :)

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD900-Open-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B00070GXBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297554087&sr=8-1

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 36
I've heard the AD700 and AD900 and didn't really think it was spectacular... I may give them another listen when I go into Calgary next week, but I'm expecting nearly the same situation.

You two definitely have my interest piqued about the AKG 701/702.  But here's the question.  What's the difference between the two models?  Is it only the colour, or is there more?  Anyone know a supplier I could pick them up from/listen to them from within Canada/Calgary area?  Along with this, will a tube amp not work?  I'm running the Schiit Valhalla as mentioned, but would moving to a SS amp be better?

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 36
The difference is the color and the 702 has detachable cables. Other than that they are the same. If you are interested in the K701...I know where you can get a mint pair shipped to Canada within your budget 
wink.gif

As far as a tube amp...sure...you can use tubes as long as it has the power. I am using a Little Dot 1+ (granted it is a hybrid amp) with mine on high gain and it does pretty decent. It could use a little more juice but it's a pretty small amp. I think that people often prefer SS with the 701/702 because they like a nice transparent amp with these headphones...it really allows them to shine.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 36
Heh everyone other than OP logically jumped to K70X. =)

I like them too, but apparently there's some variance in bass quantity depending on vintage. The newer ones are supposedly bassier, I think. Anyways, yeah, definitely try K701 or K702.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 36

Quote:
I've heard the AD700 and AD900 and didn't really think it was spectacular... I may give them another listen when I go into Calgary next week, but I'm expecting nearly the same situation.

You two definitely have my interest piqued about the AKG 701/702.  But here's the question.  What's the difference between the two models?  Is it only the colour, or is there more?  Anyone know a supplier I could pick them up from/listen to them from within Canada/Calgary area?  Along with this, will a tube amp not work?  I'm running the Schiit Valhalla as mentioned, but would moving to a SS amp be better?

The k702 is the same as the k701, but a different color and with a detachable cable.

As for amping - the K701 requires a lot of current and has low impedance. Generally speaking, this means tubes won't work well with them, and most people swear by SS amping (with particular mention to the Matrix M-stage, which supposedly has a lot of synergy with the K701). That said, a few people, myself included, run the K701 out of the hybrid SSMH. I don't know about the Valhalla in particular, though.

As for an AD700, when I first heard them I liked them very much as a great complement to my Grados. However, after A/Bing with my K701, I realized that the K701 did pretty much everything the AD700 could, but better. I guess the AD700 was a little smoother and had a sweeter midrange, but I prefer the cold detail and edge of the K701.

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 36
I'm trying to find where I read it but somewhere I saw that the guys over at Shiit actually designed one of their amps using the K701...just not sure if it was the Valhalla or the Asgard.

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 36
Feb 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 36
Nifty, thanks for the info all!

I think I'll go with the K702.  I like the idea of a detachable cable (I've been working towards a budget level balanced B22... Slowly.)  And I prefer the black to the white.  Now to find a place that will actually let me take a listen...  Hell, would it even matter at all if I replaced the cable with a balanced cable?

I'm still curious about the T50RP, as I'd heard a LOT about them around the same time the Audeze LCD2 came out and put the spotlight on Orthos.  Can anyone compare the two?  Or am I best to leave that bees nest alone, and go with the K702?

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 36

Quote:
Nifty, thanks for the info all!

I think I'll go with the K702.  I like the idea of a detachable cable (I've been working towards a budget level balanced B22... Slowly.)  And I prefer the black to the white.  Now to find a place that will actually let me take a listen...  Hell, would it even matter at all if I replaced the cable with a balanced cable?

I'm still curious about the T50RP, as I'd heard a LOT about them around the same time the Audeze LCD2 came out and put the spotlight on Orthos.  Can anyone compare the two?  Or am I best to leave that bees nest alone, and go with the K702?

If you can stretch your budget a little bit, I would try 1) buying a K701 used, for around $200, and 2) buying the T50RPs to compare. IMO they're a very different sound. The T50RP in particular is a tough one to describe - I'm not sure if this is just because it's an orthodynamic or what, but it's got a ton of potential, I'll tell you that much. I've had the K701 for quite some time, rotating through a number of well-known headphones (Denon D2000s, DT880/600, HD650, among others), and nothing could trump the K701s. They do what they do very very well, and what they do is treble detail, extension (in both directions), soundstage, and great toned mids. But I got my Darthpants this morning (designed after the Thunderpants)... for the first time, I think I can say I've finally found something better than the K701. I'm actually a little bit afraid that I've found my end-all headphone, the one.

Basically, what I'm saying is - try a few things. The K701 has a very stable sound that may or may not be what you like. The T50RP, however, has the technical ability to sound like what you want it to sound like, you just have to coax it out of them. It's definitely worth looking into.

Warning: this post may be contaminated with Darthpants-magic-fairy-dust... I can't stop listening to them, and I have two exams on monday. Curse you head-fi!

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 36
Thanks for delving into that, Aflac!

What did your 'Darthpants' mod entail?  Was it just the refitting of wood over the cups?  Or was there more to the ordeal?  I'm torn, because if I could do these mods myself, and it's relatively cheap, I'd end up with a 'better phone', and similar or even cheaper pricing...  I've got the shop, I've got the skills, and I've got the access to materials.  (I'm a theatre guy... So I know my electrics, I know my carpentry, and I know my sound.  And even if I don't, I have access to renowned thinkers on each.)

I MIGHT have the opportunity to listen to both of them at the Long & McQuade next week... Even then, if they don't have the T50RPs, I'll be going home with the a pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back