Stax SR-009: suggestions to tone down the brightness?
Aug 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #181 of 197
The loudness contour suggests that for low level listening a "fun" sounding headphone (with extra bass and treble) would sound more correct than a (measured) neutral one, since the neutral headphone will sound lean and lack sparkle at low levels because of said contour. This doesn't seem to be the case with the SR-009: It has a slightly lowered the bass response and no treble peak (source: Inner Fidelity).

Oh reading my previous post, I can see where your comment stems from. I was indeed incorrect when I meant a "warmer" phone like the 007 needs to be pushed higher in volume to sound neutral. It's the opposite, and, as you said, treble would need to also be tilted to truly make it perceived as neutral at that low volume...

Thank you for straightening this up :).

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #183 of 197
I think it is possible that the last few posts may be the middle ground where most of us could basically agree in principle regarding the status of the SR-009 "brightness" issue.

Listening at lower volumes does not seem to bother my ears.  Some may argue that the 009 is unbalanced in other ways- but the detail is pretty much the last word of anything out there, and as long as the volume is kept reasonably low, there is no "brightness" damage.  It sounds just beautiful and may be the best low volume headphone on the market. It is however a problematic "high volume" headphone.

My hunch is that most of those who object to the 009's brightness are listening at moderate to high volume levels and maybe for extended periods of time.  Those who don't complain about the brightness probably listen at lower volume levels.

For those who want to listen to headphones at moderate to higher volume levels and for extended periods of time- the 009 is just not the right headphone for the job.  

Often- it is not a matter of better or worse- but rather just finding the right headphone based on ones listening preferences.

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #184 of 197
I think it is possible that the last few posts may be the middle ground where most of us could basically agree in principle regarding the status of the SR-009 "brightness" issue.

Listening at lower volumes does not seem to bother my ears.  Some may argue that the 009 is unbalanced in other ways- but the detail is pretty much the last word of anything out there, and as long as the volume is kept reasonably low, there is no "brightness" damage.  It sounds just beautiful and may be the best low volume headphone on the market. It is however a problematic "high volume" headphone.

My hunch is that most of those who object to the 009's brightness are listening at moderate to high volume levels and maybe for extended periods of time.  Those who don't complain about the brightness probably listen at lower volume levels.

For those who want to listen to headphones at moderate to higher volume levels and for extended periods of time- the 009 is just not the right headphone for the job.  

Often- it is not a matter of better or worse- but rather just finding the right headphone based on ones listening preferences.

Mimicks my sentiments perfectly.

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #185 of 197
I often use this example to describe the volume I usually listen to: if I'm in concert hall and I'm listening to a piano trio I can clearly hear people around me talking or coughing. When I use the headphones I try to get the same volume, so if my wife is talking to me I can hear her. Any lower volume will make the instruments sound distant and sterile, any higher volume will make them too big, unnaturally big, like a piano as big as the hall itself. I personally don't like it.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #188 of 197
Quote:
Quote:
If you listen softly enough, nothing sounds objectionable.

True- but besides not being objectionable- it sounds good- really good.

As stated in my signature "I listen at (very) moderate loudness levels".

You're (probably) right about few headphones become tiring at low SPLs, but some headphone + headphone amplifier combinations may very well become boring, unengaging, etc. where other combinations succeeds at the same low SPLs.

I assume "boring, unengaging, etc." also qualifies for "objectionable"(?)

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #189 of 197
Other good low level phones are the Sony R10;s, Grado 1000's and the ERGO model 2's  
Quote:
Thanks for backing me up Realmassy. (And I also agree that 009s are the best low-volume phone out there if that's how you prefer to listen.)

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #190 of 197
Hi!

I found my SR-009/SRM-727II - combo sounds too bright, neutral, or too dark
depending interconnect cables and DAC used.

My ears are very sensitive to upper midrange peaks, so with my current DAC and cables, sound signature is toward to dark,
so records that otherwise sounds too bright are easy to listen.

I think with some records sound should be little brighter, but regardless of that, sound     
is very very addictive.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #192 of 197
Lonely_Rider . You have it summed up about right. My equipment is very open and its too bright for me  even with my mods to the 727-11 while reducing  any roughness to minute level makes it sound smoother.  At the same time I can hear the smallest bit of detail with my --007 MK1  

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #195 of 197
Quote:

A very important detail, unfortunately often ignored by most: the 009 is definitely a low / moderate listening level headphone, similar to the HD800, because both have a voicing that makes it so. The Omega 2 is the opposite, it has such a warm tonal balance that you need to listen to it louder to make it more natural.

Why is this? Google up fletcher and munson.

I need to point out however that despite this important point, some people may still prefer a rendering with more "body" / "foundation", regardless of volume level, in which case the 009 may not be adequate. Personally, I'll take the clean and extended bass of the 009 paired with adequate source anyway but ymmv.

err.. no its not. I've rocked out to slayer, pantera, metallaica, tripped out to righteous House and shaken booty to Pacific North west Hip hop music when  i owned the 009 with the LL. If you are not feeling the sense of palpable weight in the music with the 009, check your source and more so your amp.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back