Stax SR-009: suggestions to tone down the brightness?
Aug 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #196 of 197
err.. no its not. I've rocked out to slayer, pantera, metallaica, tripped out to righteous House and shaken booty to Pacific North west Hip hop music when  i owned the 009 with the LL. If you are not feeling the sense of palpable weight in the music with the 009, check your source and more so your amp.  

Certainly, large improvements in bass control and extension are expected going up the ladder from my stock 727 amp, everyone who's listened to higher end amps says so and I won't contradict you. The delineation and extension is still better than what I heard till now (including HD800, LCDs).

Now, if you say using the LL makes the 009 enjoyable with absolutely any material you throw at it, and especially at high volumes, I'll get a bit suspicious of the amplification (or player) as it must seriously tilt the response of the phones (roll off the highs in particular) to achieve this or you've got peculiar resistance to abundant high frequency loud sounds. As much as I love my 009, I'd take an lcd2/3 or even 007mk1 any day if I was listening to the music you mention, and at headbanging volume levels for that.

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #197 of 197
Quote:
Certainly, large improvements in bass control and extension are expected going up the ladder from my stock 727 amp, everyone who's listened to higher end amps says so and I won't contradict you. The delineation and extension is still better than what I heard till now (including HD800, LCDs).

Now, if you say using the LL makes the 009 enjoyable with absolutely any material you throw at it, and especially at high volumes, I'll get a bit suspicious of the amplification (or player) as it must seriously tilt the response of the phones (roll off the highs in particular) to achieve this or you've got peculiar resistance to abundant high frequency loud sounds. As much as I love my 009, I'd take an lcd2/3 or even 007mk1 any day if I was listening to the music you mention, and at headbanging volume levels for that.

I never had any issue with it. Infer what you will from that. ROll off, or short of hearing or tolerance to high freqs, etc. 

But yes, I am with you on the latter part which is why the 009 was sold and the 007 remained. THe tonality of the 007 appealed to me more so than anything else. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back