Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Oct 13, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #421 of 783
Think the SRS-005S comes with the 252S amplifier not the 212. Didn't even know the 212 was still in production since it was supposedly discontinued with the SR-202 package back in the late early 2000's.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #422 of 783
  Think the SRS-005S comes with the 252S amplifier not the 212. Didn't even know the 212 was still in production since it was supposedly discontinued with the SR-202 package back in the late early 2000's.

wow, thanks. I assume it was old but not that old. I found a set of SRS-005s on ebay for 670 AUD I guess I get that.

Thanks. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #426 of 783
Sorry for bringing up this thread again, does anyone have any updates on the new portable dac/amp for sr-002??? I saw that in the video in innerfidelity in CES2014, but couldn't find much news about it online.

Thanks

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #428 of 783
Hi..

anyone knows where i can find an external adaptor that work wits SRS 002? or any variable regulated AC-DC adaptor will do??

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #429 of 783
Answering my own qUestion, I already got
the multi voltage regulated adaptor and its working as intended. I think the sound really improved as its now sound very close to srs005s mk 2 setup..

Anyway the adaptor im using with has 650ma output, it produce more than twice the required 300ma input that stated at the srm-002 amp,, IM not an electric guy, but is it really good to use it For long duration or should I search for others?
I read the instruction manual and see the power consumption for the srm 002 when using adaptor is 4,5v/1,2A,
can anyone explain to me about why it is different?
Because if its really ok I want to experiment to use an adaptor with bigger current..
Well if no one care to explain I will try it anyway -__-

Thanks

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #430 of 783
Hi, guys,
I just got my 005mk2 today.

I measured the output voltage of the adapter, it is nearly 20v without load and 15v when connect to the 252S (power on). Could anybody help to check your adapter output voltage? I think a higher voltage without load is acceptable, but it should come back to 12v when works with the amplifier.

I have a suggestion to the friends who want to wear SR-003mk2 without headband. If it keeps falling off, try BOSE IE2's tips. If isolation is very important to you, IE20's tip might help (I guess, haven't dried yet).

Here is the 003mk2 with ie2's tip:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44905177/esp950/IMG_0812.jpg

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #431 of 783
Was in tokyo over the weekend and picked up STAX SR-002.    Very impressed with the whole sound signature from this baby combo.   At 43000Yen or 420US$, I ranked this as one of the best value purchase in the last 2 years.  Can't stop listening.....

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #432 of 783
Was in tokyo over the weekend and picked up STAX SR-002.    Very impressed with the whole sound signature from this baby combo.   At 43000Yen or 420US$, I ranked this as one of the best value purchase in the last 2 years.  Can't stop listening.....

I bet that DAP doesn't hurt the sound quality either :wink:

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #433 of 783
Boys, for those of you who are using rechargeable AA with the SRS-002, here is something I really want to recommend (disclaimer: no relationship to the manufacturer):

kentli-aa-1-5v-2800mwh-li-polymer-rechargeable.jpg

It is basically 14500 style (AA size) Li-ion battery made by a Chinese company called Kentli, and it seems to be the only one of its kind. This is different from the normal 14500 battery that has a 3.7V output (mainly for special LED flashlight) at that, this one has a regulated output of 1.5V, making it suitable as AA replacement and can be used on SRM-002. The best part is that it will maintain a near constant 1.5V till it is almost run out, so you will get the maximum SQ to the end. Those of you who own the AC adapter for SRM-002 will know that the AC powered SRS-002 sounds much clearer and more dynamic than AA battery powered SRS-002. and NiMH, which runs on 1.2V, sounds even more veil. I has been looking of an external power pack to power my SRS-002 for awhile now and accidentally comes across the Kentli battery on eBay (they also available on several places, do search around). I got this purely to experiment and I am delighted to find out that the SRS-002 sounds much closer to AC powered with these batteries. The only downside is that these batteries has to be recharged using the special charger, so you need to pick one up when buying these batteries (or get them as a bundle). For AA rechargeable, these are actually quite expensive, but I reckon the improvement over NiMH is worth the investment.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #435 of 783
  What's the run time like? I'm wondering how many to get!

I actually haven't ran them long enough to drain them off, so I can't say for sure atm. But one thing that is obvious is that the 1.5V near constant voltage does help a lot on maintaining the same SQ as the batteries are draining away. I'll say you will need at least 4 for the rotation. You will probably need 8 for the whole day.

Anyway, here is a battery pack I just finish modding:

SAM_6567_resize.jpg

It powers up the SRM-002 without any problem. There is some hissing during startup but it usually will disappear within 5~10 seconds.

SAM_6571_resize.jpg

The battery pack itself is the only one I can find that offer a 4.5V output (measured to be around 4.6V) that is perfectly suitable for the SRM-002, plus it is cheap as dirt (usually under $20 on eBay, search for "4.5V solar USB"). The two downsides are (1) the stock battery isn't particularly big, only 2600mAH, and the case probably won't hold a much bigger battery. I thought I'll keep to the stock battery for now and look for a suitable upgrade later. (2) there is no on/off switch. I have to find the smallest toggle switch I can (element14 9473084), drill a hole on the side (as the top and bottom panel are metal), and superglued the switch in place, re-wire the battery so I can disconnect it from the PCB in order to prevent drainage all the time. Last but not least, I have to get the power connector from ebay (4.0mm OD x 1.7mm ID coaxial) and mod it onto an USB cable, which is relatively easy. The upside is that the solar panel will recharge the battery (or at least slowdown the drainage) during use. But it will have to be under pretty strong light condition.

Beside the occasional hissing during startup, the battery pack + SR-002 pretty much sounds like they are powered by wall adapter and definitely better than battery only mode. It is better than the KentLi batteries mentioned before but not quite as obvious as compared to NiMH.

I think one of the more interesting point is to replace the whole housing and battery together for a truly portable battery pack that will last for at least 5~10 hours in a single run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back