SRH840 impression
Jul 5, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #1,801 of 2,135

Quote:

probably close to 50 hours burn-in with pink noise - I'm no expert but they do seem to sound better. The headband is still irritating my scalp though...really tempted to cut the foam oat - anyone have recommendations on what I can do to make headband better?

Also, ibasso sent me a reference number for my ibasso d10 on the 16th but it still doesn't work. I emailed 17th and they said that there were delays because of some chinese holiday but its the 19th and it still doesn't show up in ups system...anyone else deal with this?

The headband is probably my main gripe with the 840s. They tend to bend in the middle rather than evenly across the band, which means the headphones sit right on top of my head instead of distributing the weight.

The 840's are currently my favourite cans to pair with the D10 because I can readily hear changes in the sound signature when I roll opamps/buffers. They seem to take really well to changes in source (which can be good or bad depending what you want).

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #1,802 of 2,135
^With the headband.... try setting the cans across some books. Once you have that done try putting some weight on top of the band as well; causing it to press against the top of the books.

Like this :)

Books
(Baaannndd)
B              B
o               o
o               o
k               k

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #1,803 of 2,135
That does the exact opposite of what I want. My problem is that the band is too straight across the top; I want it to retain some curve so it distributes the weight across my head more evenly.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #1,804 of 2,135
Jul 6, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #1,805 of 2,135

Quote:
That does the exact opposite of what I want. My problem is that the band is too straight across the top; I want it to retain some curve so it distributes the weight across my head more evenly.

Oooh ok lol; Why not squish the headphones together then between some books and a cabinet or something? Of course there are other ways to do it.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #1,806 of 2,135

Quote:
I amp my SRH840 and I am enjoying it quite a bit. Currently I am actually taking the SRH840 over my HD580 cause it's the sound I am looking for. My amp can do bass boost and it is what I found slightly lacking from the SRH840.

Which amp are you using with it ?

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #1,807 of 2,135
Quote:
I use a D10 through it's optical/amp combination. It is indeed a great match for Shures.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a D10 through it's optical/amp combination. It is indeed a great match for Shures.

I bougth the SR-840's little brother today. Needed a pair of closed cans to use when my girlfriend is tired of listening to my Grado's..

The SR-440 seemed to be a good choice for me taking price/value/isolation into consideration. Anyhow I have tested it with my iBasso D10, and does seem to be a good match. Can imagine the SR-840 sound great with this dac/amp.

Quote:
I also agreed that D10 is a good match with SRH840, with optical input.

Guys, Tell me about your optical source !!!

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #1,810 of 2,135

Quote:
anyone tried to compare this can with HFi 780 before ?

I have both and I think that even thought they are pretty similar it's worth it for me to have both.

The 840 is a little mellower and has a larger soundstage, while the 780 is quite a bit more aggressive.

They both have nice deep bass but the 780 seem harder hitting to me.

I tend to favor the 780 for metal, hardcore and techno, I use the 840 for most other musical style.

Of course those are all personal impression, those are my main closed cans. It's also worth mentioning I use 840s pads on my 780 and it makes it much more comfortable to me.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #1,811 of 2,135
Armaegis has been kind enough to lend me his SRH840, and the short time I've had it.  The SRH840 is kinda like a dark horse here on Head-Fi, just from a quick search on the SRH840.  I really like the SRH840, they sound very similar to the RE0 but larger soundstage, deeper bass extension in terms of quantity without losing quality.  I generally listen to rock so for me the bass is quite good in terms of speed and depth.  I'll have to try on some FLAC rap songs to see.   Highs and mids aren't recessed.  These are very balanced headphones.  They're not the most fun headphones ever, and can get tad warm being closed.  But for their price of around ~$100-150 they well push above their price range.  Even when paired with the Pico Slim they respond well but, an amp isn't really needed, very easy to drive, easier than the RE0 haha. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #1,812 of 2,135
i've only had my 840's for a week or so, but they are really impressing me.

they are pretty well balanced.  and, being super picky, the only thing i can say negative is that the upper mids tend to have a little bit of glare sometimes.

the bass is nice and punchy.

and, no, they aren't the most comfortable headphones ever... 
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #1,813 of 2,135

Quote:
wink.gif

Not at first, but they definitely stretch out. I've had them for about a month now and they're very comfortable now.

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #1,814 of 2,135

Quote:
i've only had my 840's for a week or so, but they are really impressing me.

they are pretty well balanced.  and, being super picky, the only thing i can say negative is that the upper mids tend to have a little bit of glare sometimes.

the bass is nice and punchy.

wink.gif

Also try the sock mod its awesome kudos for the guy who discovered it, i have it also for a week and im loving it 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back