SRH840 impression
Dec 7, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #1,381 of 2,135
2cm deep, diameter 6cm high, 4.5 <->

Perfect fit for me, I have medium sized ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #1,382 of 2,135
Yeah...I don't think there would be a heck of a lot of room for people with big ears. They fit fine for me, but that was another impression I got when I put them on.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #1,385 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently sold my SRH-840's. I absolutely loved them over hundreds of hours of use and would recommend them to most anyone, but my HD 25-1 II's were getting a lot more use as a portable set. Plus, they seem to isolate better. Had to "cut back", as the wife says...
wink.gif

I know how you feel, I gave my HD 25-1s away and the 840s are the sole replacement. Miss them.

Kinda speaks volumes about both phones.

Been using the Shure 840 for a few weeks now. It needs an amp, to get a solid low end to it. It is a fantastic headphone. Either I've warmed up to these, or they are 'burned in'.

Been listening to a lot of drum n bass (Blu Mar Ten, Consequence, Digital and Outrage), psy trance, ambient/experimental (Tim Hecker, Markus Guenter, etc) and classical (Shostakovich, Rach). Best $$$ I've spent for so much enjoyment.

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #1,386 of 2,135
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time out to have some input on these headphones. After hours of research and reading I decided to buy a pair today, I should have them in about a week. I can't wait!

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #1,387 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malfunkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been listening to a lot of drum n bass (Blu Mar Ten, Consequence, Digital and Outrage), psy trance, ambient/experimental (Tim Hecker, Markus Guenter, etc) and classical (Shostakovich, Rach). Best $$$ I've spent for so much enjoyment.

Good man! Tim Hecker is brilliant. I love "Harmony In Ultraviolet". If you are into that, you may also dig Fennesz's "Endless Summer"/"Venice"/"Black Sea". Amazing stuff. Also, ***** Buttons are getting a lot of play of late. Same with Kode 9 + Spaceape and Burial. Hyperdub is a dope label. I'm sure these tunes would fair equally well on both the HD-25's and SRH-840's.
wink.gif
Feels good, regardless, to cut back a bit and trim down the listening options.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #1,389 of 2,135
Hi,does anybody know if the 440 earpads cover the ears better than the 840 pads?

The 840 earpads don't cover my ears like the way i like(i want a similar fit if possible like the hd 600,to sit around my ears,now it's like my ears don't have space to "breathe"),and it results hurting my ears after a while.It's not as bad as the first days,but i still feel a pain sometimes if i listen for some hour.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #1,390 of 2,135
john53: i can't answer your question about the 440s, but i can say i had ear hurting issues with the 840s, and they cleared up after about 80 hours of listening time (4-5 hours at a time). there may be hope for you.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #1,391 of 2,135
thank you for your reply

Yeah at first it was uncomfortable,now after 70 hours it's better,but it still hurt my ears a bit after some hour(1-1.5 hours of continous listening)

If somebody have experience with 440 pads on 840 please comment.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #1,392 of 2,135
I just wanted to report that I tried the SRH840 with my new Woo Audio 6 (default; on low impedence mode obviously) yesterday and really liked what I was hearing. I had heard mixed impression about synergy between this headphone and tube amps in general but I felt that the Woo gave the 840's that extra bottom end and the warmness that I always thought it was lacking. Unamped these still do a fine job, but I honestly feel that a good amp do take these to the next level, not so far IMO from my HD650's and K701.

Only if they had bit less peaky upper mids and fuller lower mids that were just a tad bit more forward, then it would have been PERFECT for my needs... but oh well, that's just the characteristic of this headphone I suppose. I was about to sell these because I simply couldn't think of closed headphone applications, but after hearing this with the WA6 I will probably hold off on that.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #1,393 of 2,135
I am using the 701 and the 840 on my Little Dot MK11 and they bought sound fantastic. What I love about the Shure 840 is how efficient they are and will save my tubes. They both are super cans with different presentations but both are world class cans. I use the 701 when no one is home during the day and I use the 840 when the kids are watching TV. Both will be here forever. I haven't listened to my Denon 1001 much.

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #1,394 of 2,135
Well, after 12 straight hours of reading this site (including this threads entirety) I just got my first pair of "real" headphones, (The SRH840)

You folks sure are good at selling things to people. :p

Very impressed so far (as compared to my previous and only headset: Altec Lansing > Earphones > Earphones with Mic > AHS502 - bleh)

Actually, sounds like I'm in heaven right now.

Thanks for the wealth of info on this site, kudos to members and mods both, a very nice place to do research on anything-audio related,

Will add actual impression/knowledge to the brainpool once I actually have something in the same "category" to even start to compare them to, as of right now an impression would would go something like "uh..... mmmmmm.... wow." I am frequently finding myself being like "gee.... did that used to be in this song?"

Anyway, cheers, and keep up the good work
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #1,395 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you for your reply

Yeah at first it was uncomfortable,now after 70 hours it's better,but it still hurt my ears a bit after some hour(1-1.5 hours of continous listening)

If somebody have experience with 440 pads on 840 please comment.

I've read most people consider 840 pads to be more comfortable and deeper while producing better bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back