SRH840 impression
Dec 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #1,396 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by st4r0c3an /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read most people consider 840 pads to be more comfortable and deeper while producing better bass.

Thanks

Although i must say i wouldn't care if it had less bass quantity(not quality of cource!)with other pads(but the same overall signature).The bass is already enough for me,maybe a little bit more than i would like,but it's fine,it doesn't bother me.

But if the 440 pads are more uncomfortable,then i guess there is no reason to look at these

I also want to say something else about the srh 840.I think that their sound quality is a bit above their price.It wouldn't be surprising for me if they had a higher price.I believe that shure kept the price not very high,because these are made in China,and don't use expensive materials like real leather,wood etc.I'm almost sure that they compare well to other expensive closed phones,even 2x-3x of their price.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #1,397 of 2,135
So I've read this whole thread, searched google etc, and I cant find one good pic of these on a persons head (headroom's one doesn't count), anyone got a pic they're willing to show? I'd like to see how daft they really look before I buy some.

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #1,398 of 2,135
just checking in to say I'm still enjoying these. My replacement pair have been perfect, and I think they do a great job for lots of different music. The drums on Brainy by the National, for example, have great textures and just sound right. Well done, Shure.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #1,399 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangermouse2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've read this whole thread, searched google etc, and I cant find one good pic of these on a persons head (headroom's one doesn't count), anyone got a pic they're willing to show? I'd like to see how daft they really look before I buy some.

Thanks.

Search google images a little harder:

3664094015_39bf01a628.jpg

site_img_srh840_life_large.jpg

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #1,400 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
site_img_srh840_life_large.jpg

That dude clearly isn't hearing anything. Maybe that's why he's so happy
rolleyes.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #1,401 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangermouse2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks.

No more daft than when I routinely wore my AT ATH-900 on plane trips. Wouldn't think of wearing them on the streets though, not when you can get such good IEMS these days. Then again "good" iems cost a fair piece of change.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #1,402 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Search google images a little harder:

well, they're not really showing how wide the shures are, but nice little dig there
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the efforts anyway. Helped my decision.

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #1,403 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh. If only its bass kicked harder and didn't get lost in busy passages, the SRH840 would be just about perfect for me.
frown.gif

I totally agree with you. But I suspect that you and I are in the minority seeing that almost every person in this thread is satisfied with its sound after burn in. For me a tiny little kick in the low bass would have been nice, like that of the dh1001. But then it would defeat its main purpose as a reference monitor I guess.

I decided to listen to my closed cans the other night, swapping them around and I found that I liked the sound out of the 271mkii with velour pads more than that of the 840 (unamped and straight out of an ipod touch). The 271 had even better tighter bass with better clearer mids. It didn't have that minor mid bass hump mentioned in articles. What I didn't like from the 271 was that hollow echo chamber kind of sound that the 840 doesn't have, to its benefit.

But since this is an 840 thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to hear some impressions of what other amps do to the SRH840's sound, if people have them...

I don't have the more expensive amps, but I have been trying out the 840 with the nuforce icon mobile. Frankly, I don't like how it changes the sound. The mid bass disappears...but so does the rest of the bass. Before the bass felt like it was 2 rooms away (this is very very subjective mind you), the bass now feels like it's 10 rooms away with none of the impact. The mids become more forward. The treble gets emphasized.

So I prefer the 840 straight out of an ipod touch over the mobile.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #1,405 of 2,135
I'm getting used to the lean bass, mainly because I find the phones so easy to listen to overall thanks to their nice soundstange and clarity (and comfort, despite the weight and ugliness). When bass is strong in a recording, you feel it, which is the most important thing, but the lean-ness did result in me ordering a dac/amp to see how that changes things.

Yes, I've started down the slippery path of head-fi wallet rape
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #1,406 of 2,135
Lean bass? It's pitch-accurate and natural, but nowhere near lean, unless you really have some bass-heavy phones for reference. I actually hope they'd have a bit less boominess.

I must warn you. A better amp doesn't necessarily help things, but a better source does definitely.

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #1,408 of 2,135
Nah, that only leads to fanaticism and biased comments. You also get frowned upon if you give critic.

This is good..

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #1,410 of 2,135
Really depends on what you like. I like the SRH840s more however it was driven. Nothing can save the D2000 from sounding unnatural and boomy..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back