SRH840 impression
Dec 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #1,411 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitagarwal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass on these is not lean!

Also, is it time for an SRH840 appreciation thread yet?

OK, so lean was a bit mean
smily_headphones1.gif
It's tight and to me a bit too tight at times, although it's hard to tell in some cases if that's more the recording's fault or the phones. I'm no basshead, but the bass (particularly high bass/low mids) is really what helps make rock/pop/electronic music sound "musical" IMO.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #1,412 of 2,135
Musicality, in all honesty, is melodies, pitch accuracy, notes and the right tone. If you have a fondness for some coloration, that's fine, but I don't think this sensation can be called "musicality"... My opinion nevertheless.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #1,413 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by wordfool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so lean was a bit mean
smily_headphones1.gif
It's tight and to me a bit too tight at times, although it's hard to tell in some cases if that's more the recording's fault or the phones. I'm no basshead, but the bass (particularly high bass/low mids) is really what helps make rock/pop/electronic music sound "musical" IMO.

Wow, that's interesting. It's amazing how much your headphone history colors your perception of sound. To me the SRH840 is thick with bass and every so slightly uncontrolled down there... but I'm coming from Etymotic, Grado, and Ultimate Ears!

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #1,414 of 2,135
I've read up untill page 40 something, and the last few pages. Could somebody tell me what the general consensus now is regarding rock for these phones? I really don't need a closed phone, but it needs to isolate a bit more than my MS1's. Anything beating the SRH840s for rock at this price point?

I'm a kind of guy that really likes the ER4S and find the flatpadded MS1s mostly great and occasionally fatigueing.

Thanks.

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #1,415 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJPixcell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would the SRH840's be better amp-less, compared to the D2000's amp-less??

Depends more on your source then just overall amp or not amp. For example, with my Nano unamped they are not anywhere near as good as through my Apple TV to Benchmark DAC HP amp. And adding an amp to the Nano will not necesarily make it better.

With a good source they sound remarkable, with a poor source "not so much"

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #1,416 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by D4R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree with you. But I suspect that you and I are in the minority seeing that almost every person in this thread is satisfied with its sound after burn in. For me a tiny little kick in the low bass would have been nice, like that of the dh1001. But then it would defeat its main purpose as a reference monitor I guess.

I decided to listen to my closed cans the other night, swapping them around and I found that I liked the sound out of the 271mkii with velour pads more than that of the 840 (unamped and straight out of an ipod touch). The 271 had even better tighter bass with better clearer mids. It didn't have that minor mid bass hump mentioned in articles. What I didn't like from the 271 was that hollow echo chamber kind of sound that the 840 doesn't have, to its benefit.

But since this is an 840 thread...

I don't have the more expensive amps, but I have been trying out the 840 with the nuforce icon mobile. Frankly, I don't like how it changes the sound. The mid bass disappears...but so does the rest of the bass. Before the bass felt like it was 2 rooms away (this is very very subjective mind you), the bass now feels like it's 10 rooms away with none of the impact. The mids become more forward. The treble gets emphasized.

So I prefer the 840 straight out of an ipod touch over the mobile.

very good distinction between the akg and the 840. I used to have the older AKG 271 and feel the same way. As for the Nuforce amp, it has been noted as being a bright amp. And some portable amps do lots of damage to the frequency balance of the signal. Only the best leave it relatively unscathed, so I can totally imagine that it could have the effect you describe.

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #1,417 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read up untill page 40 something, and the last few pages. Could somebody tell me what the general consensus now is regarding rock for these phones? I really don't need a closed phone, but it needs to isolate a bit more than my MS1's. Anything beating the SRH840s for rock at this price point?

I'm a kind of guy that really likes the ER4S and find the flatpadded MS1s mostly great and occasionally fatigueing.

Thanks.

Not sure if you would like the 840s if you like the ER4s. I feel they are great for rock, but I could not stand the ER4s for more than a few hours before they were sold. So I think you might have to try to audition them and hear for yourself. It all comes down to personal preference.

PS edit: Yes, the general consensus is they are great for rock fwiw.

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #1,418 of 2,135
Hmm I don't mind them for rock. I'd take the HD650s over it though [I don't have any Grados. . . . .yet]
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Musicality, in all honesty, is melodies, pitch accuracy, notes and the right tone. If you have a fondness for some coloration, that's fine, but I don't think this sensation can be called "musicality"... My opinion nevertheless.

Yet time and time again people say headphone A sounds better than the natural sounding headphone B as it is more "musical" or some rubbish.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #1,420 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitagarwal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's interesting. It's amazing how much your headphone history colors your perception of sound. To me the SRH840 is thick with bass and every so slightly uncontrolled down there... but I'm coming from Etymotic, Grado, and Ultimate Ears!

Oh, the bass loses even more of the "flesh" with the HM-801 I'm now rocking. It's now almost ideal for me. Never gets lost control-wise in fast passages.. Only thing is that I might not always be able to discern bass-notes.

Crazy detailed phones, by the way, if your source is clear and amp adequate.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #1,421 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yet time and time again people say headphone A sounds better than the natural sounding headphone B as it is more "musical" or some rubbish.

So you agree with me? At least, from what I understand, I absolutely agree with you. People use the word "musical" so vaguely here. Natural and musical don't exclude each other. Tapping your feet to a strong bass, is not musicality
biggrin.gif

But the bass is the norm for the bass-fiers. Hard to go against this
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #1,422 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you agree with me? At least, from what I understand, I absolutely agree with you. People use the word "musical" so vaguely here. Natural and musical don't exclude each other. Tapping your feet to a strong bass, is not musicality
biggrin.gif

But the bass is the norm for the bass-fiers. Hard to go against this
smily_headphones1.gif

These damn can are great. The bass is great. I am listening to Lee Konitz Alone together which has Charlie Haden Acoustic Bass and I am there. I am in the jazz club thats how real this recording sounds. Love these cans.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #1,423 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks.

i have tried er4s and own etymotic hf2 and shure 840 and love rock music

rock music on er4s and 840 are totally two different tastes IMO, but i love both, er4s is great for it's high, when comparing both, 840 is much more balanced, and much better when amped comparing to an un-amped er4s,

when both is amped properly, i think they perform close again (840 is still better overall) but for sure, two different taste, and i love both IMO

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #1,424 of 2,135
I'm also a user of ER4S and 840
They definitely are equipments of different style but both enjoyable
I personally think it may be quite hard to love both of them at the same time
The 4S sounds very thin if you get used to the 840( same the other way round)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back