SRH840 impression
Dec 19, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #1,426 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you agree with me? At least, from what I understand, I absolutely agree with you. People use the word "musical" so vaguely here. Natural and musical don't exclude each other. Tapping your feet to a strong bass, is not musicality
biggrin.gif

But the bass is the norm for the bass-fiers. Hard to go against this
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I was agreeing with you - it's one of the things I find most annoying at this site.

As for the 840 bass, well I find it to be normal. I don't view myself as a bass head.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #1,427 of 2,135
The bass-performance is well above par in these cans, and that I found to be true when I plugged them into my HM-801.. Bass drum, bass guitar and low synths are now completely separate and individual entities. Fast and impactful, but none of that flesh you can hear other "great bass cans" produce to "veil" the notes and music. I'm actually quite happy now
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and MomijiTMO, love the setup in your avatar pic
smily_headphones1.gif
That set out of a Linn source for me was pure bliss, at least close to it.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #1,429 of 2,135
That's strange. To my ears, the HD-25-1s now, that I've had both in my possession for quite a while, sound like utter bs
biggrin.gif
Do you listen to sound characteristics, or music? Because at producing music, the HD25-1s really don't stand a chance, in pure objective terms. The Shures are still burning in by the way, so if you only had them for about a week, you really did miss their potential.
frown.gif

But the srh840s got to even a newer level with the HM-801.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #1,431 of 2,135
My only problem now with my 840,is that(although they are more comfortable now than when i first bought them)i still have a little problem with my right ear which is a bit strange.

I'll try to describe it but i don't know if you understand,because of my not so good english.

So my problem is,that after i listen to them for some hour,i feel that my right ear is somewhat closed,like i have something inside my eardrum,it's like when you catch a cold...something like that.It's not so bad,but i get that feeling(only in my right ear),when i use these cans.I feel it not only when i listen,but that symptom remains after i finish listening to music and sometimes it doesn't go completely away even after many hours.

I don't listen at high volumes.It's just the fit i guess.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #1,432 of 2,135
Sounds like you have a wax build-up.. But did you say that it only happens with these phones?

Hmmm. Strange..

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #1,437 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you have a wax build-up.. But did you say that it only happens with these phones?

Hmmm. Strange..

Yes it only happens with these phones.

Although i've also noticed that when i tried other closed phones in the past,when i put them on my head,i felt that symptom with my right ear,like i put something in my eardrum and it's a bit closed.(sorry for the word closed,can't find a better word to describe it)

Maybe it's the way closed phones isolate from outside noises,and i also have wax in my right ear,so maybe that causes this symptom.

Maybe i should go to a doctor to check it out sometime.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #1,439 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by lh0628 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I read somewhere that the cord for the SRH840 is compatible with that of the Philips SHP895.

Great find! I looked for photos and it definitely looks as if it would work. Where did you read that?

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true? More importantly, does anyone actually know how to procure one of these cables?

I wonder how long it will take for Null Audio or another company to start building Shure cables. The one thing I currently hate about my SRH840's are the bulky cable on the subway and, even more, how the coiled cable uncomfortably sits under my forearm on my office desk when I'm working.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #1,440 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy Flycatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I have been listening to music since 1957...and I do mean music, not electropop bs

Yeah I don't really know what electropop bs is, unless you mean my comments. Then it would be totally ok
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd have just wished for you to explicit your opinion a bit further. "Better bass and better treble" just sounds like A) you've really grown accustomed to the monotonic and emphasized treble/bass of HD25, which really don't play melodies or B) you don't wish your music to sound natural and don't care for notes. This is completely different than what is important to me in musical reproduction.

Anyway, my opinion about the 840s beating the HD25s in every area (except maybe dullness and bootybumpiness) stands as it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back