SRH840 impression
Aug 16, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #706 of 2,135
Hmm...I might have to consider trying these out when I sell my DX3's. I initially purchased the DX3's to replace my HARX700's, but I think I might try these. I game a lot, listen to a lot of rock, metal, etc, and like clean, punchy bass. Though I'd only use the amp output on my soundcard which is probably nothing special, it drives my RX700's quite well, and even the DX3's, so i'm sure the SRH840 would do ok. Glad to be reading more about them, not 100% certain yet...but I've been leaning towards these since I joined this forum. Hopefully they'll be worth my time if I get them.

beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #708 of 2,135
Aug 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #709 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: I'll just remove it since its near impossible to find that exact one that I have...

Anyway this is very similar and IS stereo.
2.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Female Adapter - Cables To Go

Amazon.com: Cables Unlimted AUD4350 3.5mm Stereo Female to 2.5 mm Stereo Male Adapter: Electronics

both of these should work just fine

thanks for links, but I have tried 2.5mm jacks, that are smaller than those and they dont fit. The only option is either;
A; Source 2.5mm unsoldered locking jacks, like on the coiled cable.
B; Take a dremel to the hole and file the locking threads.

ps Got a reply from shure;

Hi,
We don’t do a 2.5mm jack on its own. We do supply a spare 2.5mm-3.5mm cable if any use. Part no. = HPACA1 at 16.80+VAT.
Thanks.
Owen.

This is very anoying, I cant stand the coiled cable, and I was under the impression it could be upgraded 'easily'
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #710 of 2,135
If anyone has the ability, they should test out a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable on the set and report back here, not the adapter, but a cable. I'd love one that fits, lol. But I can't seem to find a cable that looks like it might fit. I really wish shure didn't insist on making this type of 2.5mm head. If they wanted you to have the option of replacing it or using your own...why make it a custom head that locks. ugh.

Id love to know what you tried so we all dont make the same mistake
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #711 of 2,135
Here are some thoughts after almost two straight days of burn-in:

wearability - these feel like large pillows. I have a rather narrow, pointy head, and the single bump problem on my AKG 701 was a concern after some reports in this thread. But, I've flattened the headband a bit and they are really easy to wear. They do slip, though, with lots of head movement. And, I'm pretty sure they look dopey on me. I don't care.

Isolation - very good, but not like an IEM. My gf has already noticed how she can call my name from upstairs and I won't hear her. Thanks, shure.

Build quality - excellent, except for the cord. They just feel very durable, very business-like. But, the cord is a problem, not so much because of the coil ( though I'd prefer without ) but because the jack into the headphone is HUGE and not at all what I am looking for into an iPhone or my Macbook. I like the locking feature but I had that it's proprietary. My #1 wish for these phones is that Shure will make a locking mini to 2.5 adapter, and allow us to replace the cord easily.

Sound Q - really coming into its own. At first listen, impressions were really positive, except for some really woolly, distorted bass. For ex, on "Song for Charley" off of Nick Cave's OST to "The Assassination of Jesse James...." I heard some distortion on low notes in the right driver that had me thinking i'd need to return them. I tried, but could not replicate the buzzing in any of my other headphones ( none high end at all ). Now, however, that distortion has disappeared, and the bass is starting to tighten up. Songs with a big, snappy drum ( say, Ants Marching by DMB ) are a real pleasure.

I've also been impressed with the dynamics. I've been burning in with my entire music collection, but also Pandora set to classical. Although not a high-end source by any stretch, some of the Pandora tracks have had such swings that I've been really, really moved. Very cool.

Clarity, however, is not up to the same level as my 701s. Looking back ( mine were lost in a move ) the 701 really didn't smear ANYTHING that you sent its way. A really beautiful, "dont know what you got til its gone" type of presentation. Now, that said, I dont think these are muddy at all - just not up to the high level of the 701s in that regard. Also, with the 701s, I would use the tone controls on my vintage Marantz integrated to apply some tube-like bass boost, but nothing of that sort is necessary. In fact, Im not sure these are a great match for tubes or warm electronics. They already have enough bass to make me happy without EQ.

I'm skeptical of major differences between amps, but so far these seem relatively easy to drive. I usually listen to them at less than three clicks on my Macbook and its loud enough. And, as they've burned it, I haven't heard any distortion when I really crank them.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #713 of 2,135
Quote:

lol but the 701s run at like 260 bucks...they are a whole 1/3 more expensive than the 840s...I've never used the 701s so I really dunno what they have to offer :\

Oh, indeed. I got my 840s for $132 w/ free shipping and my 701s were just under 2x that. And, this isn't a knock against the 840s. They are certainly more attractive than the 701s in a number of ways - value, bass and - especially relevant at this pricepoint - more forgiving of associated equipment.

I'm just saying I don't think they are the 701s equal in that one dept for which the 701s are most well known.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #714 of 2,135
Mine are starting to loosen up after a good 36 hours of pure burn in material and already I think they are keepers

Base extension is very generous, these can give the Denons a run in the midbass, and the quality is pretty tight. These aren't the definitive bass phones by any means, but they seem to walk the line between neutral tight bass and "fun" thumping bass pretty well.

What I about these is that they seem really easy to listen to, as some have said pretty forgiving of material. The treble extension isn't the (*cough* veiled *cough*) signature Shure recessed treble that was always a big turnoff for me. They remind me more of my B&W CM1 mini-monitors than any of my other headphones I own. They control sibilance better than my Denons, and they don't have as much upper midrange grain that the the K701's exhibit with some vocals. I still wish for tad more airiness though, but I think I find it a fair trade for the punchy bass I've got lots of headphones that offer me a crystaline treble, so these complement my Denons pretty well.

These only have improved over the first bit of break-in, so I'm liking where they are going. I think even up to $200, these are hard to beat. I have to give my D2000 one last chance to redeem themselves before I put up the forsale sign.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #715 of 2,135
For a $200 closed can of this quality combined with the great cosmetics, these are very worthy but an open can they aint... I have well over 100 hours on mine and still they dont wow me like my ad900s can. They lack detail and nuance in comparison. They have more bass but not close to the quality of the ad900s bass that sound more like live acoustic instruments. For people expecting these to sound like open cans, look elsewhere.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #716 of 2,135
I agree. For a closed can that isolate and have minimal leakage, they are quite good. However, they don't compare to any of the open cans I own (HD650, K701, AD2000, HD800), in my opinion. I don't think it is fair to compare the two though (open vs closed) .

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a $200 closed can of this quality combined with the great cosmetics, these are very worthy but an open can they aint... I have well over 100 hours on mine and still they dont wow me like my ad900s can. They lack detail and nuance in comparison. They have more bass but not close to the quality of the ad900s bass that sound more like live acoustic instruments. For people expecting these to sound like open cans, look elsewhere.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #717 of 2,135
I've been listening to my Shures for a bit the last two days. The sound isolation is actually better than I originally thought it was; once music comes on, most of the traffic noise is actually blocked out, at least at night when there is less traffic. The bass has tightened up a bit to me, but I still find it boomy on bass notes with longer decay. The bass actually delineates between the bass frequencies very well - there's no one note bass here. The bass of these cans will be very good if the bass can tighten up on those notes with longer decay. The treble is very smooth, not sibilant at all. It isn't greatly rolled off, but I would still like it to be just a tad brighter. The mids have become better articulated, but still not on the level of the K500's mids. The sound is still closed-in sounding, but I'm getting used to it. At this point, I can live with them, but I'm not sure if I can call them keepers.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #718 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. For a closed can that isolate and have minimal leakage, they are quite good. However, they don't compare to any of the open cans I own (HD650, K701, AD2000, HD800), in my opinion. I don't think it is fair to compare the two though (open vs closed) .

It's like comparing a Corvette to a Thunderbird. The Vette is a smooth neutral ride and usually 2-3x more expensive. It emanates quality and tone but it not made for rocking out, the more elegant weapon for a more civilized time. The Thunderbird is a monster who wants to eat your children and is all about raw power. Your head will shake right off when they engine roars and it can go places the Vette can't...however the ride itself wont be as smooth and silk like.

HD650-$350.00 really needs amp
K701-$250.00 needs amp
AD2000 - $600......
HD800 -$1200?
SHR840 - 150-200$ depending on how lucky and smart you are.

I use my HD600s for gaming. The sound coming through them when i use my mp3 player is not as good as the 840s. It's a different experience and sounds more surround sound BOSE SPEAKERS in your face-ish. You can't really rock out with any of the above listed but the 840s. It's just my two cents. I prefer the closed back sound...

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #719 of 2,135
Quote:

I use my HD600s for gaming. The sound coming through them when i use my mp3 player is not as good as the 840s. It's a different experience and sounds more surround sound BOSE SPEAKERS in your face-ish. You can't really rock out with any of the above listed but the 840s. It's just my two cents. I prefer the closed back sound...

I've been using my SRH840's w/ D10 for COD4 on my ps3 via optical. Very enjoyable
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #720 of 2,135

Users who are viewing this thread

Back