SRH840 impression
Aug 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #691 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now what I'm wondering is... if the wire on the sides gets caught on something... ermmm is it goodbye? Why in the heck did they do that? It is the only cosmetic design flaw that I feel these cans have.

If they snag, they certainly could break if you really snag them hard, but what are you going to snag them on? Are you going to be walking through a forest with branches everywhere?

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #692 of 2,135
lol hehehe its just in a place where its always being touched when adjusting the headband so if someone with sharp fingernails does something there... well, you get the idea. Still better to keep them inside. Unless they were replaceable cables, I do not see the reason why they did this.

Anyone from shure here able to explain why they were designed this way? Was there any thought put into this during the creation of these cans?

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #693 of 2,135
My guess is that the way they designed the earcups made threading the wires from the insides impossible without comprimising the structural integrity of the headphone itself, or whatever. It's single ended so the wires would have to run to the other side, and the cups are not physically connected to the headphone itself (it just kinda hangs on the cup frame)... think DT770 and most other higher end Beyers where it's the same rough design and the cord also hangs outside. Only way around this would be to make it a double sided cable like the SRH240's or Denons.

This kind of design accomodates for better cup mobility (flipping/turning it to the other side, etc... this is geared towards pro audio after all), folding, and also helps with comfort, as I find that this style of design usually gives less clamp on the head than ones that have cups hard connected to the headband itself.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #694 of 2,135
Quote:

I feel the same way about these 840s. They are nothing special now clocking in at around 75 hours burn in. the mids have smoothed out a little but the bass hasn't tightened and the lower mids haven't filled in aaarrrghhh. I wont be selling them though but I can see them only stuck for bang around use for studio monitoring.

If these were bough primarily for music listening, they would probably be gone if they dont give me a dramatic change by next week.

Honestly, you have to listen to Skylab on this one. Even at 75 hours, I wasn't impressed. You have to give over hundred hours before they really shine. Also you may want to use pink noise.

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #695 of 2,135
Im at around 100 hours now. No big deal of a difference. Still cant touch my ad900s
biggrin.gif
I'll keep it in the closet with the ipod playing the xlo burn in track playing at full volume from the ipods headphone jack.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #696 of 2,135
Quote:

Im at around 100 hours now. No big deal of a difference. Still cant touch my ad900s
biggrin.gif
I'll keep it in the closet with the ipod playing the xlo burn in track playing at full volume from the ipods headphone jack.

Try burning with pink noise.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #698 of 2,135
Iam at 100hours now, Iam very impressed. These destroy the DT770pro and HD595. Comparing to my past favourite DT770, everything is improved; soundstage, treble, bass and mids. There is no bloating bass as some have described, although I did experience less tight bass when using tube amp compared to solid state.
When switching between DT770 and SRH840 the difference is very evident, the former have a habit of adding bass to male vocals which distorts everything else (listen to radiohead - let down), with the Shures the bassline and vocal are clearley seperate, everything is very tight and you can feel the kick of the drum.
Mids are very foward but sound very balanced with everything else.
Again imo these cans fair much better with solid state rather than tube amps.
Only problem I have had is the headband, that puts pressure on top of your head, and after some time can be uncomfortable. As I stated earlier in this thread it doesnt seam possible to upgrade the cable because of the 2.5mm socket being a locking type connector.
I highley reccomend these cans, and are a massive leap foward from DT770pro which I did not expect
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #699 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Iam at 100hours now, Iam very impressed. These destroy the DT770pro and HD595. Comparing to my past favourite DT770, everything is improved; soundstage, treble, bass and mids. There is no bloating bass as some have described, although I did experience less tight bass when using tube amp compared to solid state.
When switching between DT770 and SRH840 the difference is very evident, the former have a habit of adding bass to male vocals which distorts everything else (listen to radiohead - let down), with the Shures the bassline and vocal are clearley seperate, everything is very tight and you can feel the kick of the drum.
Mids are very foward but sound very balanced with everything else.
Again imo these cans fair much better with solid state rather than tube amps.
Only problem I have had is the headband, that puts pressure on top of your head, and after some time can be uncomfortable. As I stated earlier in this thread it doesnt seam possible to upgrade the cable because of the 2.5mm socket being a locking type connector.
I highley reccomend these cans, and are a massive leap foward from DT770pro which I did not expect
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tested a friends DT770 but only for a a duration of one song, I can't say anything about that. Personally, the 840s are just in a league of their own. I'm running off about 200 hours AFTER the burn in. I got my set about 2 and a half weeks ago, almost 3 weeks. I can say from personal experience, they make me forgot where I am sometimes. I stopped using my HD 600s completely. I also hopped over to radio shack and bought a 2.5-3.5 adapter and have been using my old mini to mini cord. Honestly I really hate the long coiled cord, makes me want to hurt other people. What don't you have with these? Nice bass, EXCELLENT audio quality not overrun by the bass, folding, detaching cord so you can use your own, if you scout around a price under $200.oo.

shure ftw, hope this is the future of cans to come.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #700 of 2,135
Quote:

the XLO burn in track is pink noise with sine sweeps and warbles all rolled into one

Forgive me for asking a question that may have an obvious answer, but where can I find this XLO burn-in track? I'd love to "administer" it!
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #702 of 2,135
I have not used other closed cans. I can only compare these with my other cans, the (obviously open) grado 125s. But I am loving the 840s. Coming from the Grados, the 840s are just so surprisingly comfortable and well made. Just really solid. I also really like the sound. Good separation, none of the uncomfortably shrill highs that I sometimes experience with female vocals with the Grados. I think I still prefer the open sound over the closed sound, and frankly having two sets of cans hanging off my rack makes me feel a little piggish. But it is really nice to have a closed option when I want it (when there is ambient noise or when I don't want to bother others). And as between these two, I am leaning toward the Shures on a day to day basis when I grab a set of cans (like right now, enjoying a gorgeous Saturday afternoon on my hammock listening to NiN).

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #703 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tested a friends DT770 but only for a a duration of one song, I can't say anything about that. Personally, the 840s are just in a league of their own. I'm running off about 200 hours AFTER the burn in. I got my set about 2 and a half weeks ago, almost 3 weeks. I can say from personal experience, they make me forgot where I am sometimes. I stopped using my HD 600s completely. I also hopped over to radio shack and bought a 2.5-3.5 adapter and have been using my old mini to mini cord. Honestly I really hate the long coiled cord, makes me want to hurt other people. What don't you have with these? Nice bass, EXCELLENT audio quality not overrun by the bass, folding, detaching cord so you can use your own, if you scout around a price under $200.oo.

shure ftw, hope this is the future of cans to come.

What 2.5mm-3.5mm adapter have you used? ones I tried does not fit
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #704 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What 2.5mm-3.5mm adapter have you used? ones I tried does not fit
frown.gif

I use them for my guitar to usb antics >.> None of them had a brand name on them, I think i got a few of them from radio shack like 10 years ago O.o, and recently one from guitar center. I saw some of them in a $.99 mixed adapters box. So I picked one up from guitar center. This one works, the other 2.5mm male didn't fit. It's trial and error, some of the 2.5 mm adapters are just shaped differently near the base, too thick to snap in. Good luck finding it, I'll do some research and repost back here with brands and links. Worst case senario, I go back to guitar center and pick up more, and ship them to whoever wants it. They were dirt cheap, the box had many adapter types...twas' a very large box :\

again, no name or brand or markings of any type. 2.5mm male end to mini female.
Edit: inspiretech - 2.5 Male to 3.5 Female (5 Ft)

Amazon.com: 2.5mm Stereo Jack To 3.5mm Stereo Plug Adapter: Electronics
I dont see why this wouldnt work? In fact, I might buy one like this with a mini end just to avoid the adapter all together. Get a nice 1ft mini to mini and attach to that and your good to go. Lots of ways to do it, might be hard to find one that will fit the can though :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back