SRH840 impression
Aug 13, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #661 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm it looks like they are charging $200, thanks anyway

Did you actually contact them for a price quote? They're not allowed to post prices below a certain amount (as per Shure's licensing agreement)...but the posted price doesn't indicate how low they will take it.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #662 of 2,135
2.5mm Jacks arrived today for a new cable, but it appears they dont fit, as the hole is not a circle and the locking groves block the jack from going all the way in. Has anyone found a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter that fits?
dean0

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #663 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by marcng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mike,

i got mine two weeks ago in causeway bay, a shop named True Sound Co Ltd, you could probably google the address (guess it violates some kinda rule posting address here).

it was a saturday i put down deposit for them, mind you, these babies are pretty expensive compared to the prices in the states. i went in and asked about the phones and the salesman from Shure was just unpacking a demo pair, and they let me listen to them for about 5mins (they don't usually do that, and they seem pretty tight with Shure, so i guess you could call them up and ask them if they could get you a pair. AFAIK mingo isn't aware of these new phones from Shure).

been listening to them every day, from an ipod cos i have got the time to find myself a good DAC for my mac. but i gotta say they are sweet. these kick my UE10pro around without breaking a sweat.

hope it helps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theres lots in HK! Just gotta search around and avoid those shops that everyone goes to first lol.. I saw several this week while shopping just in Mong Kok alone.
There are two shops in the Yau Shing Commercial building in MongKok that have them, for about 1200hkd. Also one of the Wing-Shing Photo shops also in Mong Kok, has them too, 1190 hkd.. this particular shop had the shure headphones in a different section on display than the rest of the other headphones.
They were also selling them at the High-End Hi-fi Show at the HKCEC that was on from Friday to Sunday... they were also giving away a audiophile SACD sampler at the show too... very nice gift!

Thanks for the info guys. In the end I decided to go to Wing-Shing Photo because I know where it was
normal_smile .gif
This is my first decent headphone purchase.

It fits very comfortably but I don't think it would be too portable.

Now i need to find a better amp for it since my FIIO doesn't change it that much.

What are people using to burn-in? Would pink noise suffice?

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #665 of 2,135
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between the 840's @ $116, the AKG K 271 MK II @ $150, and the Audio Technica ATH-M50S @ $108.

any thoughts for someone who's library is fairly pop/hip-hop heavy?

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #666 of 2,135
The K271's won't please you if you're into hip hop.. They're rather sterile sounding, if I may. Haven't heard the M50s, but the Shures sound good with pop/hip hop -oriented music. They have that extra bass whoomp.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #667 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2.5mm Jacks arrived today for a new cable, but it appears they dont fit, as the hole is not a circle and the locking groves block the jack from going all the way in. Has anyone found a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter that fits?
dean0

anyone?

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #668 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone?

I have an adapter from monoprice, but I've not tried it yet. I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home, but IIRC they were kind of wide when I received them.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #669 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an adapter from monoprice, but I've not tried it yet. I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home, but IIRC they were kind of wide when I received them.

thanks much appreciated
icon10.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #670 of 2,135
My SRH840s have arrived. Had a quick listen and they sound pretty good. They're not as refined as my DT880s, but I'll reserve opinions after burn-in. I'm not crazy about the headband design. When stretched and residing on the ears, the headband is too flat resulting in a pressure point on the top of the head. The padding is nice, but it's insufficient to alleviate the pressure point. Anyone tried any mods or have suggestions? BTW, I don't have a conehead.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #671 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_wang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info guys. In the end I decided to go to Wing-Shing Photo because I know where it was
normal_smile .gif
This is my first decent headphone purchase.

It fits very comfortably but I don't think it would be too portable.

Now i need to find a better amp for it since my FIIO doesn't change it that much.

What are people using to burn-in? Would pink noise suffice?

AHH ****!! I got these on eBay for 180 shipped! and you're telling me there for sale for HKD 1200?

The ones you bought are'nt from the Hong Kong dealer right?

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #672 of 2,135
Also, for all the owners out there lets do a group test.
Everyone play "Billie Jean - Michael Jackson"

Does the intro bass sound muddy to you?

Setup:
SRH-840 -60 hours burn in
Iphone -> Theatre Amp system -> Srh-840

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #673 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobe988 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Setup:

Not for me. If anything, it's your setup, and especially because you're using the iPhone (headhone jack?) as the source.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #674 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobe988 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Setup:

billie jeans intro is recorded muddy. When the bass comes in you mean right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back