SRH840 impression
Aug 14, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #676 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobe988 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AHH ****!! I got these on eBay for 180 shipped! and you're telling me there for sale for HKD 1200?

The ones you bought are'nt from the Hong Kong dealer right?

Haha actually I did get it from the HK dealer for 1190hkd XD. I still thought it was pricey I thought it would be cheaper at Kingsounds or Mingos but they didn't have it in stock.

The ones I got were in a Japanese Packaging.

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #677 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_wang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha actually I did get it from the HK dealer for 1190hkd XD. I still thought it was pricey I thought it would be cheaper at Kingsounds or Mingos but they didn't have it in stock.

The ones I got were in a Japanese Packaging.

japanese packaging?
is it hong goods?

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #678 of 2,135
Mine 840s just showed up. Out of the box I'm really psyched. The build quality seems excellent - very durable and sturdy. The cord is lighter than I expected, and the headband works well for me. I'd prefer not to comment soundwise vs the 701s since I dont have them anymore to compare, but they are definitely more comfortable for me.

Burning in now, but my first impressions of the sound are very good.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #679 of 2,135
just got mine. I'm looking for a complement to my D7000's (my D2000's are redundant since I got the 7000).

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #680 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got mine. I'm looking for a complement to my D7000's (my D2000's are redundant since I got the 7000).

Nice. I've always liked your taste in headphones / speakers. I have the Audioengines for my computer, and am saving for a pair of Dynaudio monitors.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #681 of 2,135
My pair just came in right now. I can't give any impressions on the sound yet. The build quality feels excellent and isolation seems to be very good. The headband is a little small so it fits rather snugly on my head which is on the large side. The cable doesn't feel too heavy. I've actually been considering selling them since I might need more isolation than they can provide since my apartment is very noisy, but we'll see how well the isolation really holds up.

I'll be listening out of my Pico which just arrived along with the Shures. I'm a bit acquainted with the Pico sound though since I bought a pair for my friend just before I bought my own and have been listening to it for the last two days. My frame of reference at the moment is an AKG K500 running out of a Pico. One thing I want to check for the Shures is how open they sound; there's been a few mentions of them being an open sounding headphone, at least for a closed headphone, so it should be interesting to see how it compares to one of the most open sounding headphones ever made.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #682 of 2,135
So far, early impressions are not good. There seems to be a lack of clarity, especially in the lower mids. There is certainly more bass quantity than my K500, but it's not as tight - honestly, it's a little boomy at the moment. The mids are nice, but I don't think they're as engaging as my K500. The treble doesn't offend, but it lacks sparkle and energy compared the the K500 right now. They also sound a little closed in. They do sound much more open than say my Soundmagic PL30, but they don't sound nearly as open as my K500. For what it's worth, these are very early impressions. I will need time to get adjusted to the sound since the K500 has been my only good headphone for the last two months and has become my reference point for sound reproduction. I've almost always have had very negative early impressions of my favorite headphones so we'll see if the Shures grow on me like the K500, HD580, or normal bias Lambdas did.

Regarding the isolation, it's solid for a closed can. Most ambient noise and softer speaking is blocked out completely, but I don't think commuting with these will be an option. It's perfectly suitable for home listening in most cases, but my bedroom at my apartment is somehow louder than it is on the street unless I close the window which makes the temperature almost unbearable hot sometimes. I think I need to sell the Srh-840 and get some IEMs, regardless of how much I may come to like them. I originally bought them because I needed a pair of headphones with great isolation so I can listen regularly in my apartment without having to sit in a sauna. With the isolation how it is on the Shures, I don't think they'll be able to hold up to my requirements.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #683 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks much appreciated
icon10.gif

monoprice adapters are way too fat and will not fit.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #684 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far, early impressions are not good. There seems to be a lack of clarity, especially in the lower mids. There is certainly more bass quantity than my K500, but it's not as tight - honestly, it's a little boomy at the moment. The mids are nice, but I don't think they're as engaging as my K500. The treble doesn't offend, but it lacks sparkle and energy compared the the K500 right now. They also sound a little closed in. They do sound much more open than say my Soundmagic PL30, but they don't sound nearly as open as my K500. For what it's worth, these are very early impressions. I will need time to get adjusted to the sound since the K500 has been my only good headphone for the last two months and has become my reference point for sound reproduction. I've almost always have had very negative early impressions of my favorite headphones so we'll see if the Shures grow on me like the K500, HD580, or normal bias Lambdas did.

Regarding the isolation, it's solid for a closed can. Most ambient noise and softer speaking is blocked out completely, but I don't think commuting with these will be an option. It's perfectly suitable for home listening in most cases, but my bedroom at my apartment is somehow louder than it is on the street unless I close the window which makes the temperature almost unbearable hot sometimes. I think I need to sell the Srh-840 and get some IEMs, regardless of how much I may come to like them. I originally bought them because I needed a pair of headphones with great isolation so I can listen regularly in my apartment without having to sit in a sauna. With the isolation how it is on the Shures, I don't think they'll be able to hold up to my requirements.

I feel the same way about these 840s. They are nothing special now clocking in at around 75 hours burn in. the mids have smoothed out a little but the bass hasn't tightened and the lower mids haven't filled in aaarrrghhh. I wont be selling them though but I can see them only stuck for bang around use for studio monitoring.

If these were bough primarily for music listening, they would probably be gone if they dont give me a dramatic change by next week.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #685 of 2,135
I will be interested to read everyone's opinion after more than 100 hours. I really think they need that long to sound their best.

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #686 of 2,135
i'll keep on posting impressions too. These arent leaving me anytime soon since for the price and functionality I still believe they are a good value even if the sound was just like what they are now and dont get any better. I dont think I will be throwing d5000s around in the studio anytime soon knowing their fragile character and low power handling plus the price...

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #687 of 2,135
I picked up a pair of 840's today at a local Guitar Center. They matched the J&R online price of $149.99, but added our local sales tax.

I won't bother you with trying to give my impressions because, well, they're my first semi hi-end headphones so I've really got no (good) point of reference. I'm coming form Apple buds, Sony MDR-EX71 in ear buds and the good ol' Bose Quietcomfort 3 on-ear units. To me these Shures sound amazing!
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

I just want to thank everyone for their informative posts!

Cheers!
-Ian

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #690 of 2,135
Now what I'm wondering is... if the wire on the sides gets caught on something... ermmm is it goodbye? Why in the heck did they do that? It is the only cosmetic design flaw that I feel these cans have.

The problem some people have with the headband touching the center of the head is easy to fix. The headband easily adapts to ones head when pushed toward the head or by some headband bending. Before doing any headband bending, i needed an adjustment of 9 on each side of the headband for a comfy fit. Now I'm at 6 on each side. If you dont bend the headband to contour your head, any movement might cause the headphones to fall off your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back