SRH-840 an upgrade from ATH-A900?
Dec 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Chris9181

New Head-Fier
I have narrowed down my search for a headphone to the SRH-840 and was not able to find any comparison reviews between the two. I am mostly using them for monitoring music production and listening, primarily to electronic music with strong bass. I want a new pair since I feel the A900 bass extension is not great, especially compared to my 280 Pros. Has anyone heard both of these headphones and can compare them?

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I have narrowed down my search for a headphone to the SRH-840 and was not able to find any comparison reviews between the two. I am mostly using them for monitoring music production and listening, primarily to electronic music with strong bass. I want a new pair since I feel the A900 bass extension is not great, especially compared to my 280 Pros. Has anyone heard both of these headphones and can compare them?

Heya,

The SRH840 is not an upgrade, more a side-grade with different signature.

That said, having strong bass on the headphone isn't something I would look for if you're doing production, since I assume you're producing with the intent to playback on speakers primarily; in which case, it will sound less bassy if you produce the content with bassy headphones, but then play it on speakers. Typically in production you'll want flat headphones without obviously very colored bass so that your end product doesn't sound thin and lifeless on speakers. In which case, what you have is already good for what you're doing.

However, if you really need a little more low end register to sort of give you an idea of what you're listening to, maybe look into something like the SRH840, Beyer DT770, Brainwavz HM5, T50RP (dampened), AKG K271 MKII, AudioTechnica A700X & A900X, etc.

Very best,

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 3
My problem with the A900's is the bass extension - compared to my 280 Pro's they just do not accurately reproduce bass below 50-60hz, at least not at comfortable listening levels. The music I produce and listen to makes significant use of those frequencies, so hearing them is important. Do the 840's have better bass extension than A900's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back