SR60-Mod
Jun 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #4,951 of 5,004
Jun 29, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #4,952 of 5,004
Virgin Alessandro MS-1i Driver.  The driver that I requested this past Friday arrived from Alessandro today.  They came through and delivered as promised.  As you can see in the pictures, there are some nice build-ups of solder on the terminals - but, the solder is smooth, with not pitting or dark areas.  However, it looks like plenty was supplied so that when the headphones are assembled, they just tin the tips of the wires a bit and then make the solder connection to the drivers.  Probably less than a minute to do each driver.

Here are the pictures - right out of the paper wrapping:

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #4,953 of 5,004
I cant say that my ears be better than anybody, but i can say that the materials modify the sound, this can be more or less for you, but it is. I test with the changes inmediately comparing materials with two similar models.
Caoba wood is very easy to work, but expensive. Them the carpenter and me choose sapeli because it is cheaper an have a similar weith and texture. Iroko is very lighter, and good wood too.
I cheeked that the big change in sound is produced by the weight the "cebra" wood have different textures and velocity, i think this is not important, but it cant be the perfect choice, you see anytime an instrument made of that?. More material or weight produce stability but less bass, them 325 and gs1000 are the most detailed sound cups.
Certenly the big diference are in drivers, but them we can modulate the sound with materials and cables. When i designed my cups i calculete the weight for be similar than RS1 for this, and the carpenter made them "al hilo", the three grow direction, as the original cups.
Finaly i want to know if rs2 have the same drivers than 325 and 225, you know somebody who test it with a 225-325 wooden?. I never heard rs2 but i think that are´nt valorated so much for his

price.
The plastic stand is the same than lower models, and even the wood looks worst, cos have more nerve. Even being the same wood the carpenters have different qualitys pieces of wood. The high age of the three made best propieties.

Finally the aluminium is too heavy and bright in sound in my opinion, and it si very unconfortable in a brand committed per se. not to mention the charm to wear a piece of a real natural tree.

Greetings from Spain and enjoy your music.

Thanks for all the help on the cups btw. Sorry for forgetting to tell you I was from the US for the shipping xD...

Kojaku

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #4,954 of 5,004
Also, no one ever answered my question about whether 1/2 sq.ft. is enough material for the headband...

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #4,955 of 5,004
Hey everybody!

I'm back in the modding world. I shut down my business for awhile due to a number of things but I'm up and running again. Sorry for not responding to everyone's messages lately as I've been quite busy. 

There's a total of 403 posts since I've been gone so I better get to seeing what you've all done in my absence. While I was gone I continued to think of a few things I wanted to try, so maybe I'll get some prototypes made to show you all in the near future. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #4,956 of 5,004
Rahkim, Great to see you back.  Please allow me to provide the Cliff's notes for you:

• Bilavideo cut a few cups and sent them out, but now has basically disappeared.
  • Marty started up Martin Audio Customs and is selling his wares on Audiogon.
  • Cabillas is working with a cutter from Spain on getting basic mushroom cups available in Iroko and Sapele woods.

That should save you from reading about 400 posts. 
wink.gif

Basically, what this thread and forum needs is someone who can reliably cut Grado / Alessandro cups and perform the process with integrity.  It's a very simple process - just don't take on too much work that one can't keep up with.  And, oh, avoid the lathes from Harbor Freight like the plague.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #4,958 of 5,004
Jun 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #4,959 of 5,004

Quote:
Rahkim, Great to see you back.  Please allow me to provide the Cliff's notes for you:

• Bilavideo cut a few cups and sent them out, but now has basically disappeared.
  • Cabillas is working with a cutter from Spain on getting basic mushroom cups available in Iroko and Sapele woods.

wink.gif

Basically, what this thread and forum needs is someone who can reliably cut Grado / Alessandro cups and perform the process with integrity.  It's a very simple process - just don't take on too much work that one can't keep up with.  And, oh, avoid the lathes from Harbor Freight like the plague.

Thanks for the update Wayne! Yeah, I'll only be accepting a few orders every now and then. So I guess my headphones will be numbered in that I don't have as much time as I did before. I'll probably shut down my website as well, and just make them for the people who message or email me.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #4,960 of 5,004

Quote:
Thanks for the update Wayne! Yeah, I'll only be accepting a few orders every now and then. So I guess my headphones will be numbered in that I don't have as much time as I did before. I'll probably shut down my website as well, and just make them for the people who message or email me.

Well, I can certainly vouch for your quality, integrity and reliability.  All are 100% spot on.  
gs1000.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #4,961 of 5,004
you guys know what we shall do to avoid newcomers all the trouble?

IdeaLightbulb.gif
 Start a "General Grado Mod Resource Thread" will all info for where or whom to order parts from and maybe even tips or tutorials, its hard for new moders to come and get info for a 330 pages thread.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #4,962 of 5,004

wink.gif

Well, I really wouldn't call them standard mushrooms. They're exceptionally precise and well-crafted...and the design is exceptionally well thought out.

Kojaku

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #4,963 of 5,004
[stroking the Alessandro ego]

I might have to take some of the opinions back I previously had towards the Alessandro MS-1i drivers for use in modifying headphones. I was able to finish off all of the assembly this evening and have them on at the moment with Walkman feeding the E11 via my LOD.  For some serious silly reason, these cans are producing a tremendous amount of bass (10 holes opened up - then covered in felt).  I have the slightly larger than quarter mod performed on the ear foam and Cassandra Wilson is pumping away at the moment.  I'm almost afraid to take my SR-225 woodies out at the moment for a side-by-side comparison.  Wow ... just, wow.

P.S. - These cans are currently for sale in the F.S. section at the moment.  Certainly, a bargain for about the price of a new pair of SR-125i Grados.

[size=medium]
[/stroking the Alessandro ego]
[/size]

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #4,964 of 5,004

Quote:
you guys know what we shall do to avoid newcomers all the trouble?

IdeaLightbulb.gif
 Start a "General Grado Mod Resource Thread" will all info for where or whom to order parts from and maybe even tips or tutorials, its hard for new moders to come and get info for a 330 pages thread.

I don't know if you're referring to me or not, but I'm not much of a newcomer. I actually started my grado modding business before you joined head-fi my man. 
wink_face.gif
 However I have been M.I.A for a while so you probably haven't heard or seen much of my work. Not a bad idea though.

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #4,965 of 5,004

Quote:
I don't know if you're referring to me or not, but I'm not much of a newcomer. I actually started my grado modding business before you joined head-fi my man. 
wink_face.gif
 However I have been M.I.A for a while so you probably haven't heard or seen much of my work. Not a bad idea though.

lol no I meant in  general, sorry for the misunderstanding.

like the "Custom IEM thread" ist pretty much a list of reliable places to get custom tips and accessories. adn descriptions of each. very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back