SR60-Mod
Jun 29, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #4,921 of 5,004
Good morning,

I have a pair of MS2i's coming and I have a desire to get rid of the plastic inners and go wood. Is Marty the only gentleman making these now ? I assume that the 325/MS2's are simple like my 225's were to get open with a hair dryer ? I would appreciate it if anyone has done this, to let me know if its a challange or not.

On a weird side note to let you know that you never know whats gonna happen :) .... I was sitting at home yesterday and my left knee just started swelling, so much to the point that I couldn't walk. I went to outpatients and they were concerned my knee went septic (I hear this is bad) It turns out that it was not septic, but the doctor took 150cc's out of my knee, put a full leg brace on it and put me off of work til July 10th with only bedrest except for bathroom and dinner.... This sucks since I have three little ones 1,3 and 5 who don't exactly understand why daddy cant play pony rides for a while...

wheww... thanks for letting me vent :)

On an even weirder side note, I believe that I am the last person to get a pair of shells from Bila. As I posted some time ago, I could not be happier with them or his craftsmanship of them... It absolutely baffles my mind, where he has gone. I had my share of "in the mail" as well, but for me the shells were worth the wait. I had several conversations with him, and it makes me very sad to think of all the people who have been taken. A sincere sorry to you all.

Darren Crane
Ottawa

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #4,922 of 5,004
Darren, I love your Zebrawood cups! That is the one wood I couldn't get ahold of and I would really like to. My lumber supplier had sold all his Zebrawood planks to one guy for a bar they were building him. The thing looked so cool, definitely on my someday list. Not that I don't already have cups made out of Paduak, Leopardwood, and Purpleheart (with Bloodwood and Bubinga pieces of wood not yet cut) with only 1.5 pairs of functional Grados. At some point, some of my extras are going to be given away I think....

I spent about an hour listening to my new 60s in my Leopardwood cups and modded frames (Beyer Headband, screw down rod locks). Good stuff. I really haven't listened to any music the past few months and I had a few new CDs waiting for some play, the headphones sound great with minimal work (4 holes, stock cables). All is good in Gradoland again. Too bad I will be away for 6 days coming up, but I really can't complain about some mountain relaxing.

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #4,923 of 5,004
These are the Zebras I was talking about yesterday. Great pic. Glad to see a delivered, properly made, Bila cup. On other hand, makes me sad for all of us who didn't get such luck.

An MS2i will be probably the first woodied MS2. Looking forward to feedback.

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #4,924 of 5,004

Quote:

I really think all you gain is a bit of detail, which as WJE mentioned is already really good on headphones. would more detail be good? Sure.. but for 700 dollars and for it not being a big jump, no, not in my opinion.. Enough of my ranting

Yeah, for many, a set of modified 80's or MS1's will be plenty good...even above and beyond anything they've ever listened to.  So that's great news! 

But, I think they're alot to say about different amping out there.  I can firmly say that, with my Leben anyway, my RS1's very firmly spank any other set of Grado's (stock and modded) I've owned.  The RS1's have that fine tuned transparency and separation...the bass has that precise thump....they're less fatiguing and can be listened too longer than others that I've had. 

Now...if I could only have one set of Grados under $200, it would indeed be a heavily modified MS1 or even 125 (which I recently had the chance to audition while I was working on them).  The 80's just never did it for me.

So, I think you're on to something, but given the vast amount of different Amps and DACs out there, it's possible that spending an extra $500 is quite worth it.  I think your Sparrow is a great base model though and is far more attainable for the masses than a few thousand dollar amp. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #4,925 of 5,004

Quote:

Yeah, for many, a set of modified 80's or MS1's will be plenty good...even above and beyond anything they've ever listened to.  So that's great news! 

But, I think they're alot to say about different amping out there.  I can firmly say that, with my Leben anyway, my RS1's very firmly spank any other set of Grado's (stock and modded) I've owned.  The RS1's have that fine tuned transparency and separation...the bass has that precise thump....they're less fatiguing and can be listened too longer than others that I've had. 

Now...if I could only have one set of Grados under $200, it would indeed be a heavily modified MS1 or even 125 (which I recently had the chance to audition while I was working on them).  The 80's just never did it for me.

So, I think you're on to something, but given the vast amount of different Amps and DACs out there, it's possible that spending an extra $500 is quite worth it.  I think your Sparrow is a great base model though and is far more attainable for the masses than a few thousand dollar amp. 

Yup, I've always said the amp could make a big difference. I would be more likely to see a bigger difference on a nicer setup, but I've already spent more on my source than my headphones, seems silly to me. I'm really happy with the sound I get and I'm not sure I'll be upgrading anytime soon.. Probably will wait around until I have the space and money for a nice speaker set up. Although, I have been eyeing a pair of PK3's for when I mountainbike.. Just spent more money than I actually have on a computer though X.x

Hey, what didn't you like about the sr80? I think it has a bit too much bass for me, but I still need to cover up the two holes I have punched. I think I might have been better off with an ms1 or sr60 even, but I had no idea :) I'm glad I did buy the sr80's because they came with the bowl pads(the guy included them in the deal, they don't come stock  anymore), which I might have never discovered otherwise. Also, the ms pro pretty much matches it on bass, on all but the lowest ranges with two holes poked, that is where the sr80 has more boom. The real low range.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #4,926 of 5,004
Marty, I stole one of your pics for my current avatar, and only now occurred to me I should've asked firts. On my behalf, these same cans should be on my doorstep soon
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #4,928 of 5,004
Omg I'm so dumb. I forgot to put United States on the mailing address I gave Cabillas! I'm so used to everything shipping to the US ;_;...Hopefully I just wasted one day and he hasn't shipped my cups yet xS...otherwise, since I'm from California, CA, they may end up...in Canada?
lol.

Kojaku

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4,929 of 5,004

Quote:

I have a pair of MS2i's coming and I have a desire to get rid of the plastic inners and go wood. Is Marty the only gentleman making these now ?

I think you've asked a "loaded" question here.  Yes, there are probably many that could cut the smaller cups to replace your plastic liners - giving you that liberated driver scenario.  However, it's getting quite hard to vouch for someone who can take this on.  Personally, I'd check with techheromods.com or even Marty as you suggested.  Both should be able to deliver.  But, the issue that I see is that ideally, whoever you pick to do the work for you, will probably desire to have the cups in their posession so that they can make an accurate fitting inner cup that will work with your Bila cups and the liberated driver.

<whew>

Putting that aside, I have 2 pair of woody headphones.  One is liberted where the drivers themselves are inserted directly into the cup.  I also have a 2nd pair where the drivers are still mounted into the smaller plastic cups and then into the wooden cups.  To tell you the complete honest truth, I really can't tell the sound difference between the two.  If you're looking at spening $80 - $90 on cup inserts to mount your drivers in, I'd personally recommend investing your money into something else, or save some more money for a new amp or buy some music.

Just my .02

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #4,930 of 5,004

Quote:
Omg I'm so dumb. I forgot to put United States on the mailing address I gave Cabillas! I'm so used to everything shipping to the US ;_;...Hopefully I just wasted one day and he hasn't shipped my cups yet xS...otherwise, since I'm from California, CA, they may end up...in Canada?
lol.

Kojaku

I think you'll be OK.  They'll realize the 5-digit numerical postal code and direct it correctly.  The Canadian provinces, use a postal code that includes a combination of letters and numbers.  "Eh".

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #4,931 of 5,004
Oh good :) Also, does anyone know if there's any credence to this whole same drivers on 225/325/rs2 myth? Cuz if it is true, then boohoo for my dad for spending $300 more on his RS2's xD

Kojaku

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #4,932 of 5,004

Quote:
Putting that aside, I have 2 pair of woody headphones.  One is liberted where the drivers themselves are inserted directly into the cup.  I also have a 2nd pair where the drivers are still mounted into the smaller plastic cups and then into the wooden cups.  To tell you the complete honest truth, I really can't tell the sound difference between the two.  If you're looking at spening $80 - $90 on cup inserts to mount your drivers in, I'd personally recommend investing your money into something else, or save some more money for a new amp or buy some music.

Just my .02

This is great info.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #4,933 of 5,004

Quote:
Oh good
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, does anyone know if there's any credence to this whole same drivers on 225/325/rs2 myth? Cuz if it is true, then boohoo for my dad for spending $300 more on his RS2's xD

Kojaku

I believe the 225/325 connection is actual.  I'm not surer about the RS-2, though.  However, you should give your father some credit.  After all, he is spending your inheritance.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #4,935 of 5,004
Well, at stock, his RS2's kill my 225's. They have all the detail with much more warmth. I'm just thinking that wood cups are much better at handling resonant sound. I mean, they don't make pianos out of plastic...

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back