SR60-Mod
Jun 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #4,981 of 5,004
I also want to echo the sentiments wje posted. I really dont know what to think, Obviously if you hurt yourself you hurt yourself; and I dont really have an axe to grind with you since our dealings with each other were good. I think what is disappointing to a lot of people though is that a trust was broken. Now whether that's our cross to bear or yours is hard to tell. I just find it a bit odd that given the thoughts that have been being posted in this thread and the other one that you would just pop in, in such a matter of fact way. I'm a bit of a cynic by nature so I lean toward the notion that your not shooting us straight. But if your telling the truth and I dont believe you that's my stuff. If your not shooting straight and I believe you then you're just being dishonest and that sort of karma has a way of catching up to you like posse dust. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #4,982 of 5,004

Quote:
Just got an update from Marty... my 325 inserts (cocobolo) are complete!
biggrin.gif
... and my other 2 sets of cups are in the works... I just placed the order with him 2 days ago!

Another thumbs up for Marty!  http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/

Very nice!  I'm looking forward to your impression on using those liners with your liberated drivers in the aluminum shells.  I'm sure the bass should change in ways that you never imagined.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #4,983 of 5,004

Very nice!  I'm looking forward to your impression on using those liners with your liberated drivers in the aluminum shells.  I'm sure the bass should change in ways that you never imagined.

X2! They look great. We've had lots of impressions (mines on the way) of full wood, can't wait to see what you think these sound like!

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #4,985 of 5,004
Just got an update from Marty... my 325 inserts (cocobolo) are complete!
biggrin.gif
... and my other 2 sets of cups are in the works... I just placed the order with him 2 days ago!

Another thumbs up for Marty!  http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/

Cabillas has a pair of sr80s setup like this earlier in the thread. Also, does anyone know if a 30W soldering iron would be enough to work on my drivers with

Also, wje, how did you track your package from Cabillas as it entered the US?

Kojaku

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #4,986 of 5,004

Quote:
Cabillas has a pair of sr80s setup like this earlier in the thread. Also, does anyone know if a 30W soldering iron would be enough to work on my drivers with

Also, wje, how did you track your package from Cabillas as it entered the US?

Kojaku

Yes 30 watts is more than enough. Make sure that you learn proper soldering techniques because without them you will find yourself in a mess.

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #4,987 of 5,004
A few things here. My apologies in advance for the wall of text.

First, over the course of the last week I've read all 333 pages of this thread, and am incredibly impressed with the general creativity and positive spirit that has been fostered here. I recently bought a pair of Grado's (Sr-60i) and based on many of the recommendations in this thread put aside my fears and popped the things right open. I have absolutely no regrets about doing so.

Second, although this is my first post on Head-fi, I've been lurking here for about a year. My wallet already regrets this.

Third, I'm sorry to head off from celebrating the return of the guy who started all this wondrous nonsense, but I may have actually found something here.

There was a lot of discussion a ways back about how there must be a sort of 'happy medium' between the jumbos and the bowls, a kind of sweet spot that preserved the soundstage of the jumbos while retaining the mids and forward presentation of the Grado sound signature. I'm not certain I've found it, but I stumbled upon something by accident that I thought worth sharing.

To back up a bit:
Over the last few days I've been messing with my phones a LOT, swapping around pads, opening and closing holes, etc. So tonight I was screwing around, and decided to go padless for a while. This (obviously) hurt a bit, but I was surprised by how radically different the sound was.

To cut a very long story short, when I was putting on some jumbos for some relaxed acoustic stuff I thought of something. I pulled off the headband and pushed the jumbo pads past the retaining ring on the edge of the driver 'inners'-- basically, I moved the pad until the ring was resting inside the cupped portion of the pad. This pushed the driver's cradle a couple millimeters closer to my ear. And then I did the same to the other housing, and listened while holding them up with my hands (since the headband won't fit).

And suddenly the mids are back, and I'm in heaven.

The forwardness from the Grado sig is back in full force, everything just feels 'right' as compared to the sort of attenuated feeling I get from the normal jumbos. But what really struck me was that there was still the same sense of depth that the jumbos provide. The detail and stirring highs given by the jumbos are still there, but not overblown like they were before. It's hard to explain, but sounds very nice, and doesn't seem to compromise overall FR by much (though it'll take more time with these to figure that out).

I think what's going on here is that the drivers are in the same physical position as they would be with the bowls-- IE, the driver cradles nearly touch my earlobes when pressured, etc.-- but the wider bowl of the jumbo pad increases the perceived soundstage.

I've only been listening this way for a few moments, but if this is placebo then I'm deaf. And this is all only on my crappy old mp3s (on vacation away from my home stuff).

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #4,988 of 5,004

Quote:
lol no I meant in  general, sorry for the misunderstanding.

like the "Custom IEM thread" ist pretty much a list of reliable places to get custom tips and accessories. adn descriptions of each. very useful.

No biggie, thats a great idea. If I had the time I'd help you out with that. It would definitely help organize the modding threads.

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #4,989 of 5,004

Quote:
Pleasure to see you back mate, hope everything is good and well.

We've been quite busy without you here sir!

Also please mail the poor kid his SR-225's back... I was about to start a donation thread for him in a couple hours...

+1.. I was actually really wanting to do the same. Some sort of a donation thread.. but, I don't really have any money to put up.. Totally in debt for a while. 

I also think everything Wayne said would be very appropriate to do. I would take his advice strongly

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #4,990 of 5,004

Quote:
+1.. I was actually really wanting to do the same. Some sort of a donation thread.. but, I don't really have any money to put up.. Totally in debt for a while. 

I also think everything Wayne said would be very appropriate to do. I would take his advice strongly

Quote:
Pleasure to see you back mate, hope everything is good and well.

We've been quite busy without you here sir!

Also please mail the poor kid his SR-225's back... I was about to start a donation thread for him in a couple hours...

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the thought of you even thinking about that!
But Bill PM'd today and said that he would ship the headphones out tomorrow morning through overnight delivery because I will be going back to Japan on Sunday.
And hopefully everything will turn out good and Bill will pull through.
But thanks again for even thinking about doing that.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #4,991 of 5,004
A few things here. My apologies in advance for the wall of text.

First, over the course of the last week I've read all 333 pages of this thread, and am incredibly impressed with the general creativity and positive spirit that has been fostered here. I recently bought a pair of Grado's (Sr-60i) and based on many of the recommendations in this thread put aside my fears and popped the things right open. I have absolutely no regrets about doing so.

Second, although this is my first post on Head-fi, I've been lurking here for about a year. My wallet already regrets this.

Third, I'm sorry to head off from celebrating the return of the guy who started all this wondrous nonsense, but I may have actually found something here.

There was a lot of discussion a ways back about how there must be a sort of 'happy medium' between the jumbos and the bowls, a kind of sweet spot that preserved the soundstage of the jumbos while retaining the mids and forward presentation of the Grado sound signature. I'm not certain I've found it, but I stumbled upon something by accident that I thought worth sharing.

To back up a bit:
Over the last few days I've been messing with my phones a LOT, swapping around pads, opening and closing holes, etc. So tonight I was screwing around, and decided to go padless for a while. This (obviously) hurt a bit, but I was surprised by how radically different the sound was.

To cut a very long story short, when I was putting on some jumbos for some relaxed acoustic stuff I thought of something. I pulled off the headband and pushed the jumbo pads past the retaining ring on the edge of the driver 'inners'-- basically, I moved the pad until the ring was resting inside the cupped portion of the pad. This pushed the driver's cradle a couple millimeters closer to my ear. And then I did the same to the other housing, and listened while holding them up with my hands (since the headband won't fit).

And suddenly the mids are back, and I'm in heaven.

The forwardness from the Grado sig is back in full force, everything just feels 'right' as compared to the sort of attenuated feeling I get from the normal jumbos. But what really struck me was that there was still the same sense of depth that the jumbos provide. The detail and stirring highs given by the jumbos are still there, but not overblown like they were before. It's hard to explain, but sounds very nice, and doesn't seem to compromise overall FR by much (though it'll take more time with these to figure that out).

I think what's going on here is that the drivers are in the same physical position as they would be with the bowls-- IE, the driver cradles nearly touch my earlobes when pressured, etc.-- but the wider bowl of the jumbo pad increases the perceived soundstage.

I've only been listening this way for a few moments, but if this is placebo then I'm deaf. And this is all only on my crappy old mp3s (on vacation away from my home stuff).

Trim down some bowls to "donuts" and sock mod. Does practically the same thing to your sound. Also, it's damn comfy.

Kojaku

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #4,992 of 5,004

Quote:
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the thought of you even thinking about that!
But Bill PM'd today and said that he would ship the headphones out tomorrow morning through overnight delivery because I will be going back to Japan on Sunday.
And hopefully everything will turn out good and Bill will pull through.
But thanks again for even thinking about doing that.

I'm wishing lots of good thoughts on this one and sending lots of positive energy your way.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #4,993 of 5,004

Quote:
Yes 30 watts is more than enough. Make sure that you learn proper soldering techniques because without them you will find yourself in a mess.

That's very true.  I found myself at Radio Shack the other night restocking some of my supplies.  A new container of flux, a new container of tip cleaner / tip tinner, some new solder that didn't have the rosin core, etc.  I found that applying the flux with a Q-tip to my wires and contact points prior to soldering them really improved the process of having the solder flow easier, stick better and make a much better joint.  The tip cleaner / tip tinner container was quite a small one, but you don't need much.  I'd set me tip into the compacted solution and quite a bit of the oxidation on my tip would be removed and it would get slightly tinned with fresh solder ready to work on the next connection.  Sure, the various containers, new solder and desoldering braid ended up running me about $27.00, but that's what's needed to ensure you can accomplish some very good connections.

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #4,994 of 5,004
That's very true.  I found myself at Radio Shack the other night restocking some of my supplies.  A new container of flux, a new container of tip cleaner / tip tinner, some new solder that didn't have the rosin core, etc.  I found that applying the flux with a Q-tip to my wires and contact points prior to soldering them really improved the process of having the solder flow easier, stick better and make a much better joint.  The tip cleaner / tip tinner container was quite a small one, but you don't need much.  I'd set me tip into the compacted solution and quite a bit of the oxidation on my tip would be removed and it would get slightly tinned with fresh solder ready to work on the next connection.  Sure, the various containers, new solder and desoldering braid ended up running me about $27.00, but that's what's needed to ensure you can accomplish some very good connections.

Why did you get solder without the rosin core? That just makes it harder to get it to melt the first time doesn't it? The core also serves as flux. I'm all for adding more flux, but why not use the solder's flux, along with extra flux?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back