SR60-Mod
Jun 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #4,426 of 5,004
Excellent avatar, James McProgger. BTW: after checking out your profile it would appear that your taste in tunes is almost identical to mine... I have multiple albums from almost every band you listed. Especially fond of the Swedish Prog....

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #4,427 of 5,004

Muslin is what the old lady told me to look at.. I wandered about the store and found some black cloth that is similar to that muslin stuff in thickness (I can see through it) It's similar to what they use to make bandanas but a bit nicer. I'm sure the muslin would work too, I just picked up this cloth because it was black.. If you go into the craft store and ask for something like muslin but colored they would probably point you towards something like what I've got :)
Quote:
Chris, that's great to hear.  So, the cloth was muslin that you purchased, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslin

Also, I just wanted to ensure you were not attacked by an old ladies while you were in the store. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Yeah dude, I want to see them!

I'm going to have to read up a little more on this muslin cloth you speak of.

Quote:
My sr80's in aluminium cups feels too bassy still, i'd rather something flat with a nice punch, kind of like the MS1. So i'll give it a try to that felt Chris speak of. Isnt that the one in wedding dresses? I believe my mom has a very old one in her closet. wouldnt harm anyone...

Wje, got the MS1 already?

Yeah, add the cloth on the back of the driver, It helps clean up the bass so much that I actually repoked one of the holes :)

I'll take some pictures.

See? Its just some super thin black cotton cloth. You can see where I poked one of the holes. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #4,429 of 5,004

Quote:
"It was muslin cloth that you purchased, right?" or "the cloth that you purchased was muslin, right?" XD OCD is OCD

I was actually trying to confirm the cloth because when he initially posted about it, he called it moslin.  My mother was a sewer, so I was pretty familiar with fabrics.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #4,431 of 5,004

Quote:
Wje, got the MS1 already?

Actually, they should arrive on Thursday - about a day and a half to go.   Once the weekend arrives, I'll put all of my Grado and Alessandro gear on the floor and take a picture of it.  I think I'm a bit over the top at this point.  Oh well, it's a "safe" hobby - and, I don't have a Twitter account.  
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #4,432 of 5,004

Quote:
Chris that cable kick ass too. and nice Y split. you are still missing some grills I see

I have a hardware store that's on my way home from work.  I should stop there some day and see if they carry the same aluminum screen that Bilavideo has said that he uses.  If anyone would carry it, it would be that store.  I think our "big box" Home Depot, Lowes and Menards stores would be glad to sell you about 100 square feet of the screen, but it would take a whole lifetime to use it up.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #4,434 of 5,004

Quote:
I was actually trying to confirm the cloth because when he initially posted about it, he called it moslin.  My mother was a sewer, so I was pretty familiar with fabrics.  
biggrin.gif

yeah, it is muslin :)

Quote:
Chris that cable kick ass too. and nice Y split. you are still missing some grills I see

yeah, that is actually Carbon Fiber in the center of the Y split. It's awesome :) Stefan is a mad man. Yeah, I'm not worrying about grills until I'm done messing with the drivers for sure and have the cabled soldered just the way I want it. I might even wait until I get a minute to sand down the faces of the cups.. I don't know if any of you have noticed but they have a few scratches.. Marty didn't notice them, but he did offer to sand them for me, It just seemed silly when I can do it myself. No points against marty though, he simply didn't notice the scratches and I'm sure he will be looking for them now. The scratches are very very artificial, not deep at all, it would take me a few seconds with sandpaper and a bit of lacquer to nix them.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #4,435 of 5,004
Jun 15, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #4,437 of 5,004

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Yeah I got your intention, but couldn't pass up the chance to Grammarnazi. Also, uh. Seamstress.
tongue.gif
EDIT: Oh no, according to wiki sewer is actually a term used to describe one who sews. ><

@chris: thanks for the offer, but shipping to Singapore would be both costly and annoyingly inconvenient for a piece of cloth. I shall procure my own. I was thinking of the tissuepaper because I was trying to have something which would be thin enough to let sound through yet cover up the hole and tame the bass frequencies a little, and that was the first thing that came to mind.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #4,439 of 5,004
please excuse the socks.. I loved this picture too much to not share it. I will prolly stick with this stiffened felt as a grill for a couple of reasons. One being that it is easy to put in and take out, I will always have access to the driver.. Secondly it comes in all kinds of colors. I might look into trying to find some dark red or a brown maybe. here it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back