SR60-Mod
Jun 13, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #4,397 of 5,004
MAN I gotta say this is one AMAZING discussion here, going through this (albeit only the first and last 30 pages or so) makes me all excited and although I originally wanted to just get a pair of 225i's and be done with it, I think I'm going to grab a pair of 60i's instead and get my hands wet on some of the basic mods before I try to destroy a more expensive pair. 

Still trying to figure out where to get some woodies and I can swap out myself, maybe I should just PM Bill about it? I would definitely go for the cabillas shells if I had enough confidence in liberating the drivers.

Thanks again guys, for all your work and contributions that make lives easier for us new-comers. 

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #4,398 of 5,004
GOOD NEWS GUYS! I got some moslin type see-through cloth.. It worked perfectly for covering up the holes.. In fact, I might even uncover a few, but it did a great job at dampening the bass that was a bit worrisome to me. I'm so ecstatic. I also put a bit of polyfil in my fostex cups and I like the results I got from that.. it also dampened some bass, which they needed to be more neutral. They were wonderfully punchy and still are, just a bit more laid-back, which suits what sound sig I want in the fostex's more.. I'm also getting used to the silver cables on my grados and portapros. It took a bit, but overall everything is looking up this week. 
gs1000.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #4,399 of 5,004

Quote:
MAN I gotta say this is one AMAZING discussion here, going through this (albeit only the first and last 30 pages or so) makes me all excited and although I originally wanted to just get a pair of 225i's and be done with it, I think I'm going to grab a pair of 60i's instead and get my hands wet on some of the basic mods before I try to destroy a more expensive pair. 

Still trying to figure out where to get some woodies and I can swap out myself, maybe I should just PM Bill about it? I would definitely go for the cabillas shells if I had enough confidence in liberating the drivers.

Thanks again guys, for all your work and contributions that make lives easier for us new-comers. 

I'd have no problem recommending marty. Cabillas cups also seem to be very well made and good lucking. I highly suggest you go for a shell that requires a liberation. The liberation is easy, and it is how you will get the best sound. The materials closest to the driver make the biggest difference. Bill's waiting list seems to be a long one and I've heard mixed things on the quality of the work, however his most recent stuff does look very impressive.. (not too long ago he wasn't even using a lathe, I think he has really stepped up his game lately :) ). Anyhow here is marty's profile. http://www.head-fi.org/user/mlantinen

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #4,400 of 5,004

Quote:
I'd have no problem recommending marty. Cabillas cups also seem to be very well made and good lucking. I highly suggest you go for a shell that requires a liberation. The liberation is easy, and it is how you will get the best sound. The materials closest to the driver make the biggest difference. Bill's waiting list seems to be a long one and I've heard mixed things on the quality of the work, however his most recent stuff does look very impressive.. (not too long ago he wasn't even using a lathe, I think he has really stepped up his game lately :) ). Anyhow here is marty's profile. http://www.head-fi.org/user/mlantinen

Thanks Chris! I also read somewhere earlier that Bill was having a very long wait list, so hopefully he's been able to catch up with the high demand :)
I read the instructions on driver liberation once or twice and didn't think I got all of it. Perhaps I should really stare at those drivers while going over those things again. This actually sort of brings me to a question, is driver liberation reversible? I mean if I ever wanted to put a couple of liberated drivers back into some woodies that were designed for use with the plastic housing, would that still be possible? I guess I can just hot glue/stick it back in there?

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #4,401 of 5,004

Quote:
Thanks Chris! I also read somewhere earlier that Bill was having a very long wait list, so hopefully he's been able to catch up with the high demand :)
I read the instructions on driver liberation once or twice and didn't think I got all of it. Perhaps I should really stare at those drivers while going over those things again. This actually sort of brings me to a question, is driver liberation reversible? I mean if I ever wanted to put a couple of liberated drivers back into some woodies that were designed for use with the plastic housing, would that still be possible? I guess I can just hot glue/stick it back in there?

liberating really isn't difficult, but it is kind of rough on the inner shell. My inners had some stress cracks in them after I got done liberating the drivers. However, I see no reason why I couldn't glue the drivers back into the plastic inner shell.. OR you could make some or have some wooden inners made. So yeah, If you are somewhat careful you should be alright.. Tell you what, If you break your inners we have enough laying around between us that someone will send them to you. I'll send you mine if you ever feel like you need some plastic inners and you broke yours. You go around the edge that separates the driver from the shell. You will hear a nice glue cracking sound and get the hang of it after a few seconds. 

I started off trying to liberate mine with a jewlers screwdriver, I moved on to a paring knife, and then onto one of those smaller knifes that are as thick as a regular knife but that come to a point on the end. I'd suggest just taking a knife and a mallet to the driver. All I did was frustrate myself trying to do it with smaller tools. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #4,402 of 5,004

Quote:
 I highly suggest you go for a shell that requires a liberation. The liberation is easy, and it is how you will get the best sound. The materials closest to the driver make the biggest difference.

Agreed, liberation is the way to go. Anything else is shortchanging yourself, however extreme that might seem. It probably isn't hard to do (I've done it successfully once, though I did it painstakingly with a wirecutter on a broken driver just to try and I haven't taken the knife/hammer to my actual drivers yet) and it gives you good results. And leaves you free of the "what if... I were to get rid of all that plastic?" question which I'm in the midst of answering now (as soon as international shipping runs its course).

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #4,403 of 5,004
Would be great to have a non liberated and liberated comparison, holding all else constant.

If I pick up another pair I would. On a side note, I don't really hear major improvements from using the Single ended cable to ipod, and the Balanced cable to pb1.

Sr80 might just be one of those that don't really benefit from amping.

I second Marty's work. Beautiful, and incredibly reliable. Hes also very responsive via PMs and international shipping was under a week!!

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #4,404 of 5,004

Quote:
Hes also very responsive via PMs and international shipping was under a week!!

Did he ship by EMS or standard First-Class with USPS? From previous experience the only time I've ever gotten anything under a week was EMS, else it'd take two weeks and some. It seems rather absurd to ship a hundred-dollar product with 30-40$ shipping right?

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #4,406 of 5,004

Quote:
Who's your supplier?  
confused.gif

Bila... waiting since January for my custom set.

I was supposed to get a tracking code yesterday. At least it was a change from the "I'll post it tomorrow" usual thing. I just wanted a few pics before sending as I've gotten a few reports of switched packets... and I'm on the other side of the Atlantic.

But it's taking too long. I've gotten a few pics in the past, but none of my own cans lol

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #4,409 of 5,004

Quote:
That's the same thing my Proctologist told me.     
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

blink.gif
TMI.. For all you know someone just spewed their dinner all over the keyboard
confused_face.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #4,410 of 5,004

Quote:

Quote:

That's the same thing my Proctologist told me.     
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

Given the circumstances, I needed a laugh. Thanks
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back