SR60-Mod
Jun 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #4,381 of 5,004
DGCrane,

Your headphones look amazing!! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4,383 of 5,004

Quote:
Well..... I got a pair of zebrawood shells in the mail yesterday and I have to say I could not be happier with my 225's now. Bilavideo (shells), Bill Bill (headband) and cyberspyder (recable) have all played a big part of turning these into GREAT headphones and I wanted to give out a public THANK YOU for your help. These have been many months in the making, but I am finally happy with the result. Bill send me the shells raw as I asked and I decided to put a couple of coats of linnseed oil on them.

DG those are awesome!

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #4,385 of 5,004

Quote:

Here's a picture of the cups, just as they were opened after arriving from Spain today (the grain is a bit hard to make out due to the flash from the camera.  However, when viewed in person, they are gorgeous.

Here's a picture of my burl cups (left) and the Cabillas cups (right):

Here's a picture of the Grado driver housing mated to the end of the of the Cabillas cup.  As you can see, the Grado driver housing itself won't directly fit into the Cabillas cups.  The driver itself will have to be "liberated" from the housing and then it will fit properly into the Cabillas cups.  Sure, this means a bit more work.  However, in the end, the results will be much more superior.  Getting rid of that extra layer of plastic is a big hurdle - but, it's all spades when it comes to improved sound quality.  At this time, I'm not going to liberate the SR-225i driver housing that's in this picture.  Instead, I'll await my Alessandro MS-1i and then perform the work next weekend on those drivers.  The cup opening on the Cabillas cups are 1 13/16" in diameter.  That's the same diameter as the driver diameter when removed from the housing.

And, drats, the local sale of my SR-325i Goldies fell through.  The guy decided to back out this afternoon before we were going to meet up. 
mad.gif

I think you know you have to liverate the driver!!!, i have information and pictures of this. Whatever i´m hapy that you receive them good.
http://recopasgrado.blogspot.com/
Greetings.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #4,386 of 5,004
Jun 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #4,389 of 5,004
dgcrane... or, I guess I should be asking bilavideo.. What screens those are in the zebrawood cups and how I can get my hands on some. I think I want to spray it gold and put something like that in my cups. I'm off to the fabric store to see if I can't tame a bit o this bass.

-EDIT-  fabric store was closed :frowning2:(. Oh well, another day. I still need to take pics of the new cable.

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #4,390 of 5,004
If he is still using the same mesh as he stated sometime earlier in the thread its a .028 aluminum mesh. A google search for .028 aluminum mesh brought up an amazon link. This mesh is likely quite common at hardware stores as well.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #4,391 of 5,004
That. Is. One. Fine. Looking. Headphones.

Seriously, that zebrawood gives it that exotic look, superb!

Quote:
Well..... I got a pair of zebrawood shells in the mail yesterday and I have to say I could not be happier with my 225's now. Bilavideo (shells), Bill Bill (headband) and cyberspyder (recable) have all played a big part of turning these into GREAT headphones and I wanted to give out a public THANK YOU for your help. These have been many months in the making, but I am finally happy with the result. Bill send me the shells raw as I asked and I decided to put a couple of coats of linnseed oil on them.

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #4,392 of 5,004
Wow so many great shells popping up again lately. Lovely stuff that zebra!

Somehow I feel I'm the only one not getting my gear :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #4,395 of 5,004

Quote:
hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I know what you're thinking and I'm thinking the same, but they all come out eventually, give the man some time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back