SR60-Mod
Jun 11, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #4,351 of 5,004

Quote:

11 days is super fast indeed.

what are your thoughts on this for the grill? there are a lot of computer fan grills at amazon, or any store, that could work. the first one i liked has some sort of botton in the middle, that would be the only con.

most of them look like this:

and they go as cheap as 1 dollar each, check out this beauty (but its 80 mm diameter), the grados should be between 40 and 50 mm. that is 3.1; 1.5 and 1.9 inches aprox. respectively.

Jorge,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I've seen some custom mods done with the computer fan grills during my travels.  I have a Micro Center in my area (major computer store with a huge DIY section) and they have many mods available.  I wouldn't have to pay shipping.  Next week, I'll stop in and see what options exist.  Thanks again.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #4,352 of 5,004

Quote:
It's somewhat of an inside joke that more and more people eventually understand. You will get it someday.

hope so because Im lost now.

Quote:
Jorge,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I've seen some custom mods done with the computer fan grills during my travels.  I have a Micro Center in my area (major computer store with a huge DIY section) and they have many mods available.  I wouldn't have to pay shipping.  Next week, I'll stop in and see what options exist.  Thanks again.

custom mods as in this http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPUTER-CASE-FAN-GRILL-DRAGON-CHROME-80MM-/380314342230? its too big but that would be awesome, Dragon edition Grados!

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #4,353 of 5,004

Quote:
custom mods as in this http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPUTER-CASE-FAN-GRILL-DRAGON-CHROME-80MM-/380314342230? its too big but that would be awesome, Dragon edition Grados!

That's a start.  80mm is quite large, though.  I like the Kokopelli for some reason:

About Kokopelli: 

Our founders share a common love of Southwestern culture and art and have a particular fondness for Kokopelli, the Hopi kachina flutist and trickster. It is believed that Kokopelli, whose exact origin is unclear and whose provenance and role are shrouded in myth and lore that have been passed down through centuries of legend and storytelling, started with the Anasazi culture two thousand years ago. Like Kokopelli, one of our principals are flutists. Kokopelli’s image as rock art originally conveyed a message we are unsure of today, but whether it’s communication with higher powers, calming music or conjuring up a prank, his iconic presence remains with us today.

We like to think that Kokopelli helps us to stay focused and keep our sense of humor.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #4,354 of 5,004
wje: I'll be following your exploits closely over the coming days since I too have a pair of cups en route from Cabillas in Spain. I have to admit that I'm a bit un-nerved about tearing apart my 80i's... At first I was so taken with the beauty and sonic possibilities of woodied cups that I just had to have a pair. Now that I'm actually faced with performing the mod, however, I'm hoping I don't jack up the drivers.

I'm an experienced woodworker and handy-man type. I've built cabinets, tables, beds, etc. I've done a lot of framing/drywall-hanging and I've completed advanced home-wiring projects. I've never been "afraid" to take on a project, regardless of time, difficulty, or materials involved. This Grado mod has my mind in uncharted waters. I'm going to be taking notes and re-reading lots of posts from this thread over the next couple of weeks!

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #4,355 of 5,004
one19,

Sure thing. I'm with you there.  I've done all the handyman stuff - finished my basement, etc.  However, I've also followed electricity and electronics.  When I was a youngster, I'd drool through the Radio Shack catalogs at the various kits, components, speakers and receivers.  I was building speakers when I was in the 6th grade - and subscribing to High Fidelity magazine.  However, the soldering part still takes patience.  As the others have indicated, a 15W iron should suffice.  But, my impatience has caused me to procure 40W irons on more than on occasion.  I'll get the pics of the cups up later.

I'm not sure on the assembly today, though.  I'm not sure if I want to tear apart the burls and use the SR-225i drivers and finish them off, or wait until Thursday when the Alessandro MS-1i headphones arrive from California.  

I'm setting up an appointment for a bit later this afternoon.   Ironically, a guy a few miles from me caught up on my sales posting for the SR-325i "goldies" - so, it looks like they'll be out of my collection.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #4,356 of 5,004
You've got me thinking there... perhaps I'll track down a used pair of 60i's or 80is for this mod... then if I screw something up, I'll still have my new 80i's for backup.

Good for you on the sale of your 325's. 

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #4,357 of 5,004
How much is Cabillas charging for those cups? I'm tempted to build another grado set so I can have one wood and one aluminium :D

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #4,359 of 5,004
Quote:
How much is Cabillas charging for those cups? I'm tempted to build another grado set so I can have one wood and one aluminium :D

Actually, I traded with him. I sent him an extra amp I had and he's sending me cups; I suspect he won't send the cups off until he receives the amp I shipped this past week. So I probably have 3 weeks or so before I get a package from Spain...

Schwallman: tell me more about mlantinen... 

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #4,360 of 5,004

Actually, I traded with him. I sent him an extra amp I had and he's sending me cups; I suspect he won't send the cups off until he receives the amp I shipped this past week. So I probably have 3 weeks or so before I get a package from Spain...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501773/thunderpants/1455. Page 98.

In this thread he did chrislangleys set also. He does great work.

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #4,361 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501773/thunderpants/1455. Page 98.

In this thread he did chrislangleys set also. He does great work.

He's also going to build me a set of senn HD25 woody cups, how cool is that? and his RS1 mod is classy

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #4,364 of 5,004

Here's a picture of the cups, just as they were opened after arriving from Spain today (the grain is a bit hard to make out due to the flash from the camera.  However, when viewed in person, they are gorgeous.

Here's a picture of my burl cups (left) and the Cabillas cups (right):

Here's a picture of the Grado driver housing mated to the end of the of the Cabillas cup.  As you can see, the Grado driver housing itself won't directly fit into the Cabillas cups.  The driver itself will have to be "liberated" from the housing and then it will fit properly into the Cabillas cups.  Sure, this means a bit more work.  However, in the end, the results will be much more superior.  Getting rid of that extra layer of plastic is a big hurdle - but, it's all spades when it comes to improved sound quality.  At this time, I'm not going to liberate the SR-225i driver housing that's in this picture.  Instead, I'll await my Alessandro MS-1i and then perform the work next weekend on those drivers.  The cup opening on the Cabillas cups are 1 13/16" in diameter.  That's the same diameter as the driver diameter when removed from the housing.

And, drats, the local sale of my SR-325i Goldies fell through.  The guy decided to back out this afternoon before we were going to meet up. 
mad.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #4,365 of 5,004
partially liberating the drivers was the easiest step in my opinion, even easier then initially seperating the two shells from my experiences. All that you have to do is get a screwdriver and hammer it lightly between the gaps and it pops out. There is almost no way of damaging the drivers with this method as you are never making contact or flexing the driver. Full liberation of the drivers is another matter though.

By the way the more I see those burls the better they look. You have quite nice shells there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back