SR60-Mod
Jun 11, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #4,366 of 5,004
BossBorot,

Thanks for the information on separating the drivers from the encasing.  I'm looking forward to the task.  Also, as an FYI, the cups from Spain are made of Sapele - A small amount of information on Sapele:

The commercially important wood is reminiscent of mahogany, with a distinctive figure, typically applied where figure is important. It is sought after as flooring for its durability and beautiful graining. Among its more exotic uses is that in guitar manufacturing, in the top, back and sides of acoustic guitar bodies as well as the tops of electric guitar bodies. - Wikipedia

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #4,370 of 5,004

Quote:
I went the eBay route on the Alessandro MS-1i (newest model) headphones.  The seller had the option of buy it now, or make an offer.  I submitted an offer of $100 per pair, with free shipping.  My offer was immediately accepted and 2 pair will be shipped out this afternoon from California.

So why 2 pair
confused.gif

Also I'm looking forward to your impressions. It appears when you get your newest pair put together that you will have a few different driver configurations paired with a variety of different woods so I curious. Your wife on the other hand has to be wondering why a man with one pair of ears needs so many pairs of headphones.

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #4,371 of 5,004

Quote:
So why 2 pair
confused.gif

Also I'm looking forward to your impressions. It appears when you get your newest pair put together that you will have a few different driver configurations paired with a variety of different woods so I curious. Your wife on the other hand has to be wondering why a man with one pair of ears needs so many pairs of headphones.

Two pair is because I have a few other plans in the works.  One, I'll use at the end of next week when they arrive and the other pair might sit on the shelf for a few weeks.

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #4,373 of 5,004

Quote:
Looks nice Wayne! What kind of wood did Cabillas use?

Thanks.  The wood is Sapele.  The grain didn't show up very well due to the flash.  However, in person, the grain is almost hard to tell from a mahogany grain.  Nice and tight grain on the sides of the cups.  A few posts up, I posted a definition of Sapele from Wikipedia.  Apparently, it's wood that's often used in guitars for the sound quality characteristics.

In a week from now, I'll be able to post my full impressions of how the wood pairs with the Alessandro MS-1i headphones.  

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #4,374 of 5,004
Just did a quick resleeving of my cable, for any of you interested Canare starquad makes a pretty fine cable, just remove the outer insulation and the shielding and your cable will be plenty flexible. And for a quick easy alternative to nylon multifilament for those of you not in the US with cheap shipping from those many companies selling them, Converse shoelaces do just fine. A pity the two outlets I went to were out of black though.

Sorry for the poor quality shots, natural lighting and my room's windows only face one side ><
Edit: Now all that's left are cups from Bila to complete my Grado mod journey (hopefully), more pics will come up when those are done. They are apparently in the mail as of today :)

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #4,377 of 5,004
Well..... I got a pair of zebrawood shells in the mail yesterday and I have to say I could not be happier with my 225's now. Bilavideo (shells), Bill Bill (headband) and cyberspyder (recable) have all played a big part of turning these into GREAT headphones and I wanted to give out a public THANK YOU for your help. These have been many months in the making, but I am finally happy with the result. Bill send me the shells raw as I asked and I decided to put a couple of coats of linnseed oil on them.

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #4,378 of 5,004
Well..... I got a pair of zebrawood shells in the mail yesterday and I have to say I could not be happier with my 225's now. Bilavideo (shells), Bill Bill (headband) and cyberspyder (recable) have all played a big part of turning these into GREAT headphones and I wanted to give out a public THANK YOU for your help. These have been many months in the making, but I am finally happy with the result. Bill send me the shells raw as I asked and I decided to put a couple of coats of linnseed oil on them.

They look nice. Instill want one of those headbands. My t50s are in need of one.

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #4,379 of 5,004
Reverse Comfy Mod on SR60: Don't know if it was tried but here is my own discovery. 
Well I was too scared to open it up.  I opened up the KSC75 once to do a mod and damaged the cone.
So I knew the pads make the biggest difference and I know the quarter mod on the comfy pad is safe so I tried it.

I liked it but wanted more diameter so I increased it to dollar coin mod.  It improved the bass and treble but I thought why not reverse it.  
Why?  Because the thickness is greater with it reversed.  
Wala...the bass got tighter and treble extended.  And also the soundstage layering increased.  Just because of the slight thickness of the reverse comfy, a little more driver to ear distance.  Amazing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back