SR60-Mod
Jun 16, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #4,456 of 5,004

Quote:
Do NOT ignore the dirty sock.  I took the time to bring it into the photo because I heard that's what all the cool kids do.

Quite true, you hipster you. :)

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #4,457 of 5,004

Quote:
just got my first pair of Grado's (sr60i) from Amazon 
biggrin.gif

but I may just have to keep them as stock for a few more days, boss has been quite pushing at work...
frown.gif

Tell you what... Do the mods one at a time. They all make them sound better, but I wish I would have taken more time to appreciate which each mod is doing and to tell whether or not I felt like it made a difference. I was modding mine 10 minutes after I got them. 

Quote:
I've returned victorious.  The tightest mesh that my local Home Depot had was a 1/4" mesh.  Quite frankly there are probably small birds that could make it through my grill.  All the same I am very satisfied with how Do-it-yourself-y my Grados look:

Do NOT ignore the dirty sock.  I took the time to bring it into the photo because I heard that's what all the cool kids do.

EDIT:  Thanks for the offer Darren.  This niche of Head-fi is mind bogglingly supportive.

I like the open mesh. Not exactly my style.. I don't really like being able to see inside the cup, I think that is why I'm so fond of my stiffened felt. But, neat nonetheless and I'm glad that you knocked out that button :). How do they sound is the real question. 

P.S. the socks in my photo were definitely NOT dirty. They are still sitting on my desk too. I never keep dirty clothes around, but I have a bad habit of avoiding putting the clean ones away. My storage space is kind of limited and I need to toss a lot of older clothes to make room :) I dropped about 50 lbs and have since put on 15 or so.. So my wardrobe has been through hell and back now.

On a side note, I got my reapplication to my college filled out today and it is hitting the mail tmrw along with my transcripts. I'm going to officially be back to pre-med. Its scary and exciting all the same. I'm glad I finally got my reapplication in though, It's off my chest now. We might just see a Dr. Langley one of these days yet. 

Also, I felt the need to link to Kneel's new thread for woodie impressions. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558621/woodied-grado-review-and-impressions-thread#post_7542771

Sorry for any rambling.. My wrists are killing me and I've taken a few painkillers

As always, Happy Modding fellas.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #4,458 of 5,004

Quote:
I like the open mesh. Not exactly my style.. I don't really like being able to see inside the cup, I think that is why I'm so fond of my stiffened felt. But, neat nonetheless and I'm glad that you knocked out that button :). How do they sound is the real question. 

On a side note, I got my reapplication to my college filled out today and it is hitting the mail tmrw along with my transcripts. I'm going to officially be back to pre-med. Its scary and exciting all the same. I'm glad I finally got my reapplication in though, It's off my chest now. We might just see a Dr. Langley one of these days yet. 

I've noticed that screams in some of the heavier tunes I listened to sound seem more airy and less cramped.  I don't have any way to A/B test thought, it could be placebo (many people don't seem to think the removal changes the sound).

I creep'd on your profile after reading the college stuff.  I actually went to MST from '09 to '10.  What year are you in?

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #4,459 of 5,004

Quote:
I've returned victorious.  The tightest mesh that my local Home Depot had was a 1/4" mesh.  Quite frankly there are probably small birds that could make it through my grill.  All the same I am very satisfied with how Do-it-yourself-y my Grados look:

EDIT:  Thanks for the offer Darren.  This niche of Head-fi is mind bogglingly supportive.

LOL

I will definitely have to include a sock with my next pic, too funny.

I like the look. Have you thought about painting them black?

I took the screens out of mine. Sounds a lot more open. I have an idea for some rod tips that goes with the screenless look. I'll find a sock and snap a pic of the new look when their done.

Also for those of you who have woodied your Grado, I just put up an impressions thread for woodied Grado's. Stop on by and share your story, what kind of wood and how they sound.

Thanks,

beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #4,460 of 5,004

Quote:

This niche of Head-fi is mind bogglingly supportive.

Welcome to the forum.  We'll try to be as supportive as we can.  It's better when we keep our obsessions, confessions and observations in these forums.  Certainly, what we all go through with the modding process is something the outside world wouldn't understand or be able appreciate.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #4,461 of 5,004

Quote:
I've noticed that screams in some of the heavier tunes I listened to sound seem more airy and less cramped.  I don't have any way to A/B test thought, it could be placebo (many people don't seem to think the removal changes the sound).

I creep'd on your profile after reading the college stuff.  I actually went to MST from '09 to '10.  What year are you in?

I don't think the screen makes too much of a difference, but I think that pesky button can cause some issues, myself. 

Also, I don't even know what year I am anymore man. I went for about two months back in fall '10. I had to withdraw and I went to UMSL for a semester.. Now, I'm transferring back.. However, I have more than enough credits to qualify as a sophomore between the credits picked up at UMSL and highschool. But, I feel like I'll be going back as a first year essentially. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #4,462 of 5,004
Has anyone else noticed that covering up the grados with your hands has much less of a "OMG they sound terrible" effect with wooden cups? I made this odd observation last night. The plastic sounds way worse than the wood when covered up. I also think I can just feel more music coming out of the headphones.. The sound waves definitely like the wood a lot more.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #4,463 of 5,004

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that covering up the grados with your hands has much less of a "OMG they sound terrible" effect with wooden cups? I made this odd observation last night. The plastic sounds way worse than the wood when covered up. I also think I can just feel more music coming out of the headphones.. The sound waves definitely like the wood a lot more.

Chris,

When you tried this test with the plastic cups, were any of the rear holes on the drivers opened up?

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #4,464 of 5,004

Quote:

Chris,

When you tried this test with the plastic cups, were any of the rear holes on the drivers opened up?

Yeah, I mean. I'm sure I've done it when I had the holes open. I can't say for sure though. I'm fairly certain I've tried it with both most holes covered and opened with both materials now. I haven't ever really noted the sound differences it makes with different holes open (why would I?) But, I thought it was interesting that they sounded better closed with wood. It could just have to do with it being a bigger cup and their being more air to work with. But, I don't think so. It's a kind of silly test to use to compare them. But, I just figured I would post what I thought I heard. :)

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #4,465 of 5,004
Just got around to putting some shaft collars on (Thanks Wayne). Now I'm really considering trimming down the rods to suit me. I don't expect to ever sell these buggers, and how worried should I really be about other people getting to listen to them? I wear them with only a gap as big as the shaft collar on the bottom, So I'm left with a large amount of rod sticking out.. Decisions, decisions. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #4,466 of 5,004

Quote:

I like the look. Have you thought about painting them black?

Also for those of you who have woodied your Grado, I just put up an impressions thread for woodied Grado's. Stop on by and share your story, what kind of wood and how they sound.

I think I might paint sad faces on the blutak; you know, make my headphones look like smurf jail.

I'm pretty sure we own all the necessary tools at my house to create woodies.  I know we own a drillpress, a bandsaw thing, some sanding doodad along with many other thingamajigs.  On top of this there was a cherry oak (red oak maybe, blood oak, sickle cell oak, something like that) that I sawed into pieces last summer.  Paps used some to make a wooden mantle, but there may be enough left to get woodies grown from my back yard,  That would be pretty baller.

Unfortunately I don't know how to use all the doodads, and my father is a warranty monger, I'm not sure he'll help.  I'll try to catch him in a good mood sometime soon.

@Chris:  I've gone through 3 major changes and a transfer.  I like to think of them as life mods and not a reflection of my total lack of direction.  It appears you've got a goal, and I think that's pretty neat.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #4,467 of 5,004

Quote:
Just got around to putting some shaft collars on (Thanks Wayne). Now I'm really considering trimming down the rods to suit me. I don't expect to ever sell these buggers, and how worried should I really be about other people getting to listen to them? I wear them with only a gap as big as the shaft collar on the bottom, So I'm left with a large amount of rod sticking out.. Decisions, decisions. 

How do you know your head will stay the same size?  Or, you might grow an afro or something? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #4,468 of 5,004

Quote:

How do you know your head will stay the same size?  Or, you might grow an afro or something? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #4,469 of 5,004
Probably asked a million times, so sorry.. But eh, would i just be better off getting the 225i's or something of the likes?
I dont think i'd be able or have the knowledge to make a cable and that stuff :/

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #4,470 of 5,004

Quote:
Probably asked a million times, so sorry.. But eh, would i just be better off getting the 225i's or something of the likes?
I dont think i'd be able or have the knowledge to make a cable and that stuff :/

IMO, right now the "magic" combination would be the following.  Alessandro MS-1i headphones ($100) + find some wooden cups cut for $50 - $60.  Keep the stock cable and ear pads.  You could "quarter mod" the ear pads to open up the foam areas, if you'd like.  Also, you could open up 4 of the rear vent holes - very carefully on the rear of the drivers.  The result?  For $160.00, you'd have a pair of headphones that would shame the Grado SR-225i.

Of course, this is just my opionion - but, I suspect many would agree with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back